Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMr. Hands
A high heat situation
    #383145 - 03/13/10 09:03 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

I have a small room that gets incredibly hot in the summer.  I am mulling over several solutions to this situation:

1.  Purchasing a good LED setup that is equivalent to a 600 watt H.P.S.
2.  Purchasing some other light source (CFL, flourescent, etc..) that is equivalent to a 600 watt H.P.S.
3.  Venting my High Pressure Sodium hood heat outside.

I think I would prefer to do the LED setup idea because they supposedly last for ten years or more and produce little heat.  The cons of LED's (less yield, expensive initial cost, etc..) don't really bother me that much.  As it is I can't grow in the summer anyway because my room is like 90+ degrees so a crappy yield is better than none.

Just wondering if anybody had any suggestions.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A high heat situation [Re: Mr. Hands]
    #383152 - 03/13/10 09:12 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

I would choose number 3.

For the price of a led you could easily vent your hood outside.:yesnod:

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #383163 - 03/13/10 09:29 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Mr. Hands said:

1.  Purchasing a good LED setup that is equivalent to a 600 watt H.P.S.
2.  Purchasing some other light source (CFL, flourescent, etc..) that is equivalent to a 600 watt H.P.S.

If you don't care about the lower yield and likely fluffy buds you might want to try the LED setup. I hear they're good for veg and cloning but no one seems to get good results for flowering.

If the lower yield and fluffy buds do bother you I'd suggest going with HPS vented to the outdoors.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #383179 - 03/13/10 09:35 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Mr. Hands said:
I have a small room that gets incredibly hot in the summer.  I am mulling over several solutions to this situation:

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineMr. Hands
Re: A high heat situation [Re: Stoneth]
    #383180 - 03/13/10 09:36 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

I should note that I have another reason for desiring an LED light - it would be nice to have another growing light.  I could have both my LED light and my H.P.S. light running in the same room during the winter and get even more yield.  Also, with the thing lasting ten years, that eliminates the need to buy a new $100 H.P.S. bulb every year (which sucks by the way).

Is the yield that much less with LED's?  Hypothetically, if I am getting ten ounces with a 600 watt H.P.S. how much would I get with the equivalent LED?

I am also freaked out about the vented heat and associated noise that comes along with that.  I don't want the neighbors getting in my business and such.

Edited by Mr. Hands (03/13/10 09:41 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #383200 - 03/13/10 09:48 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

It will be a very significant decrease in yield.  Hard to say how much less.  Using them in conjunction would work just fine for you and will increase your yields. 

But honestly CFL's are way cheaper and you could just use those at the same time as your HPS. 

Why this fascination with a light source that is still so young in it's development??  One day LED may get to a point where it is both affordable and perform as well as HID lights, but that's a ways off.

As far as you exhaust.  How close to your neighbors are you??  You can get duct mufflers help reduce the noise, as well as use a carbon filter for smell.  HID is the way to go man.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMr. Hands
Re: A high heat situation [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #383225 - 03/13/10 10:01 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Why this fascination with a light source that is still so young in it's development??  One day LED may get to a point where it is both affordable and perform as well as HID lights, but that's a ways off.

Well, I have seen some people say that they got decent LED yields.  As I look through online sites I see cheap LED's for like $80, but then I see super-expensive ones.  I was making the assumption that maybe the more expensive ones are better and perform reasonably well...?  But, admittedly I am just guessing on that.

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
As far as you exhaust.  How close to your neighbors are you??  You can get duct mufflers help reduce the noise, as well as use a carbon filter for smell.  HID is the way to go man.

Carbon filters cost big money as well.  To get a decent one that could scrub my whole room would be like $400 (which has to be replaced every 16 months).  Add in a fan, a muffler, flanges, a hose, etc.. and it would be even more.  This shit starts to add up.  I was just wondering if an LED light would be more cost effective in the long run.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #383234 - 03/13/10 10:07 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Mr. Hands said:

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Carbon filters cost big money as well.  To get a decent one that could scrub my whole room would be like $400 (which has to be replaced every 16 months).  Add in a fan, a muffler, flanges, a hose, etc.. and it would be even more.  This shit starts to add up.  I was just wondering if an LED light would be more cost effective in the long run.

We'll for the yield you get with HID it makes up for the cost.  That's if your grow for profit.

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #383236 - 03/13/10 10:09 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

It sounds like your already set on the LED idea.  If your wanting to do it so badly just buy one and see how you like it.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMr. Hands
    #383241 - 03/13/10 10:20 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
It sounds like your already set on the LED idea.  If your wanting to do it so badly just buy one and see how you like it.

Well, I'm a newb.  I was hoping that somebody with LED experience would chime in.  Like I said, I am willing to deal with a mildly decreased yield.  But, if I only get one ounce of shitty stringy buds out of a high-quality and expensive LED then it is obviously not worth it.

Edited by Mr. Hands (03/14/10 07:53 AM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #383251 - 03/13/10 10:27 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

The side by side comparison grows that I've seen show exactly what you just stated.  The LED's produced shitty bud.  Also in conversing with people who have tried them I was able to ascertain that they're not worth it whatsoever.  They ended up returning them and getting buying more HID's with the money.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #383252 - 03/13/10 10:27 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

also 600w of cfl will generate more heat than the HIDS, the hids have the most light produced with least heat produced cfls aren't as good in this department.

I think on cannabis.com fourms someone had a 6 UFO led setup that they were testing I don't know how it went cuz I stopped following it.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineMr. Hands
    #383262 - 03/13/10 10:35 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
The side by side comparison grows that I've seen show exactly what you just stated.  The LED's produced shitty bud.  Also in conversing with people who have tried them I was able to ascertain that they're not worth it whatsoever.  They ended up returning them and getting buying more HID's with the money.

Hm...

I am willing to deal with a 50% less yield when comparing LED to H.P.S.  But, significantly less than that and I have to spend hours clipping tiny and stringy little buds only to get a couple of ounces.  That is not worth it in my opinion.  I'd almost rather not grow during the summer (which is what I have done up to this point anyway) than deal with all that hassle for such pathetic yields.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #383429 - 03/14/10 10:41 AM (14 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

that eliminates the need to buy a new $100 H.P.S. bulb every year (which sucks by the way).

Ultra sun bulbs are just as bright, sometimes brighter, then a comparable Hortilux bulb.  Cost 40-50 bucks cheaper too.  No need to spend 100$ on a bulb :smile:

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A high heat situation [Re: coda]
    #383431 - 03/14/10 10:44 AM (14 years, 17 days ago)

Cool Metal Halides run cooler than HPS or MH too :o

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A high heat situation [Re: captain.koons]
    #383433 - 03/14/10 10:44 AM (14 years, 17 days ago)

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7616/user113885pic2643124937.jpg

for those interested this is a led grown plant from user Weezery? I think he's on ICMAG

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #383434 - 03/14/10 10:45 AM (14 years, 17 days ago)

We had a couple of LED grows here as well (EDIT: http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/262900/fpart/1/vc/1), but I haven't seen anything about it in a long while.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineMr. Hands
Re: A high heat situation [Re: coda]
    #383477 - 03/14/10 12:10 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Ultra sun bulbs are just as bright, sometimes brighter, then a comparable Hortilux bulb.  Cost 40-50 bucks cheaper too.  No need to spend 100$ on a bulb :smile:

Somebody told me once that the Hortiluxes don't lose lumens as quickly as the cheapies because they are of a higher quality.  And, $50 over ten years still comes to $500. 

If they could just get consistent yields from LED's then it would be a slam-dunk.

OfflineMr. Hands
    #383479 - 03/14/10 12:11 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

captain.koons said:
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7616/user113885pic2643124937.jpg

for those interested this is a led grown plant from user Weezery? I think he's on ICMAG

See...what the fuck?  I see good-looking fruits like that then I see that video in the other thread that shows an absolute pitiful harvest.  What to believe?

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #383497 - 03/14/10 12:37 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

Many factors to keep in one the growers experience, product type and/or brand.

There are many brands and new nodels out there some work way better than others, but as of yet none compare to HPS/MH, but some do come close.

If you really plan on going with LED light, you should sreach and resreach the many grow logs out there.:yesnod:

There are a few in our Grow Journals forum and Icmag has many to look over as well.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #383682 - 03/14/10 07:05 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

the proof is in the pictures.

also I don't get discouraged by others poor results, however I do strive for the best results imaginable.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #383685 - 03/14/10 07:06 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

stoney.69 said:
There are many brands and new nodels out there some work way better than others, but as of yet none compare to HPS/MH, but some do come close.

Have you ever seen a side by side using identical wattage? I highly doubt it.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#383694 - 03/14/10 07:24 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

The last high dollar 600w LED setup I was looking at claimed 18,000-24000 lumens, that pathetic. Seems like it was well over a thousand too. I don't even see it being an option..

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #383734 - 03/14/10 08:25 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

captain.koons said:
Quote:

stoney.69 said:

Have you ever seen a side by side using identical wattage? I highly doubt it.

Nope but I'd like to, being when compared 126 led is said to be equal to a 600 watt HPS/MH.

Like this one

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=148551

It'd be nice to see a watt per watt match up.:yesnod:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #384078 - 03/15/10 03:16 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Those are some pretty nice results, but still IMO for the price not worth it.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #384397 - 03/16/10 02:23 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Just because a mfg claims 90 or 100 or 126 watts is equivalent to 400-600w of HPS doesn't mean we should take that at face value.

A true benchmark would be watt for watt in my opinion. One may argue they're not comparable in price but in my opinion technology benchmarks are rarely fair in that aspect or we would never advance.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #384642 - 03/16/10 01:10 PM (14 years, 15 days ago)

I agree 100%.

I don't own one due to price and the fact they still lack a bit.

But I see leds being the future of indoor growing.

If I were the OP, I'd buy a killet fan/filter combo for the price of a nice led setup.

But he appears to have his mind made up.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #384655 - 03/16/10 01:30 PM (14 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

stoney.69 said:
I agree 100%.

I don't own one due to price and the fact they still lack a bit.

But I see leds being the future of indoor growing.

If I were the OP, I'd buy a killet fan/filter combo for the price of a nice led setup.

But he appears to have his mind made up.

Again it's hard to say they lack not have giving them a full on grow. Look at LED-girls setup in her 5x6' room on icmag she runs 1500+ w of LED (retail value of 4800$) and grows monstrous plants.

Even giving them a true side by side isn't fair when you think of low heat which means less exhaust requirements which means it's a lot easier to make a closed room with perfect conditions for growth.

So I mean how do you justify saying they lack? In my opinion they need to be exploited for their low heat output to preform as good as they can. If I ever got LED's I'd def make a closed room for them.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals