Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Music and Growing [Re: GoldenCapAttack]
    #383049 - 03/13/10 03:39 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

I remember reading a scientific study performed on mice where different types of music was played and the mice were timed going through a maze....

..classical music mice improved their time, heavy metal music mice did worse and grew more spastic, and there was one other genre but there was no difference in maze time or behavior.

If my plants listen to anything it is probably trance.  I wouldn't doubt that plants and fungi react to music, but they DEFINITELY know of our presence.  CHECK OUT PAUL STAMETS IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY---->6 Ways that Mushrooms can save the world

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Music and Growing [Re: hopanshrubman]
    #383064 - 03/13/10 04:39 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

hopanshrubman said:
Actually I was told Mythbusters did this sort of experiment. The plants that were played soft spoken voices speaking compliments and classical music did better than the plants that were played heavy metal.

They concluded that it was actually the vibrations from the music that caused the increase in growth rate because the microtears in the stem tissue cause it to repair itself to be stronger than before. In which case the oscillating  fans in your closet should provide the same purpose.

On the other hand, I fucking love music... so I vote that it's awesome :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Music and Growing [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #383112 - 03/13/10 07:22 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
I think the premise of that research is still valid even if the data to support it is not.  It's still a powerfully positive message that has positively effected many people.

How is the premise of it still valid if the results he presented were a complete lie??  I agree that the movie brings up some excellent points and what not, and I'm sure that it has helped some people out.  And that's great.

But the study on the ice crystals is pure unadulterated bullshit.  He hasn't been able to replicate it under controlled scientific settings.  And then to put this in a mainstream movie as if it's fact is just wrong.  You end up with a bunch of people believing in things that are completely false.  No bueno.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Music and Growing [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #383122 - 03/13/10 07:33 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

The premise being the power of a positive attitude.  Even if the study doesn't prove anything, can you really argue that a positive attitude doesn't have a positive effect on oneself and the people they associate with?  But what you just said is 100% correct.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Loc: Unknown
Re: Music and Growing [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #383144 - 03/13/10 09:00 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Edited by Buddy Guy (03/14/10 08:46 AM)

Offlinehisheater
trigger man
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Music and Growing [Re: Buddy Guy]
    #383261 - 03/13/10 10:35 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

i love the part where jamie says that he might get investigated for growing pot....

unfortunately the outcome is not on here so it really does no good

--------------------
They call them fingers but I never see them fing... Oh wait, there they go.
-----------------------------------------------
Doo Yoo Hookah???

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

Re: Music and Growing [Re: hisheater]
    #383443 - 03/14/10 11:02 AM (14 years, 18 days ago)

The science behind the water thing might not be great, but if we can believe in the power of music I don't see why it's such a stretch...  If all music did was microtear a plant's structure, how would you explain the experiment with the mice?  Also doesn't music directly affect US?

All music has an intention, message and feeling attached to it.  Listening is like letting someone sing a prayer to you or your plants, allowing the message and connotations to become realized to at least some extent as it affects the recipient.

:shrug: Good vibes just  :feelsgoodman:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Music and Growing [Re: DudeTron]
    #384087 - 03/15/10 03:20 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

I'm not denying the link between music and increased plant growth.  I wholeheartedly support it.  But I'm sure that there is some sort of a physical link between the vibrations from sound.  Or at least that's what I believe it to be. 

The ice crystal thing is a stretch because it's not true.  It's as simple as that.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

#384106 - 03/15/10 03:41 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

I want to hook up some sounds in my grow room so the girls aren't that bored.  What should I play?

I'm thinking that one would REALLY be able to see the difference in plant behavior while comparing time lapses.  I've seen timelapses of plants stretching upwards, and then relaxing....Stretching up..then relaxing.  At least that's what it looks like to me.  Maybe with some music.....OMG, what kind of music do plants like?!  Do asian strains prefer asian music?!?!

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Music and Growing [Re: DJ_avocado]
    #384109 - 03/15/10 03:46 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Play what you think will send out good vibes man.  I like to play things that have political/social commentary on them.  But I like politics and things like that.  There's a lot of Claypool played obviously, Keller Williams, Left Over Salmon, etc. etc.

Just play the music that your into.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

#384110 - 03/15/10 03:47 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Soft music. I'm going to be playing jazz, classical is probably recommended or some other easy listening shit hahaha.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Music and Growing [Re: hopanshrubman]
    #384130 - 03/15/10 04:39 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Not at all, if you would have watched the videos that are linked above you would have seen that even heavy metal produced better results.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineFick
Stranger than you
Male

#384287 - 03/15/10 08:51 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

I cant believe that no one in this thread has brought up The Secret Life Of Plants?!?!

Great book and there's a documentary too. I havent seen it in a long time though. They hook the poly up to different plants and do some crazy shit, like if youre on a plane 500 miles away and you think lovingly about your plant, the polygraph starts going off at that moment.

Or they hook it up to a plant with another plant in the room, then a guy walks in and hacks and cuts and kills the plant that's not hooked up, and the other plant throws wicked readings on the poly. Then every time that guy walks in the room with the plant, it starts freaking out on the polygraph, like it remembers its friends murderer...

I think I read of one where the plant responded to bleach being poured down a kitchen sink, and it freaked out from all the bacteria dying in the drain.

Maybe my brains fried, but I totally believe that plants respond in an almost conscious way to outside stimuli.

I guess I'll go hug a tree or some thing.

--------------------
"Don't do drugs because if you do drugs you'll go to prison, and drugs are really expensive in prison." - John Hardwick

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

Re: Music and Growing [Re: Fick]
    #384347 - 03/15/10 11:27 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Fick said:
I cant believe that no one in this thread has brought up The Secret Life Of Plants?!?!

Great book and there's a documentary too. I havent seen it in a long time though. They hook the poly up to different plants and do some crazy shit, like if youre on a plane 500 miles away and you think lovingly about your plant, the polygraph starts going off at that moment.

Or they hook it up to a plant with another plant in the room, then a guy walks in and hacks and cuts and kills the plant that's not hooked up, and the other plant throws wicked readings on the poly. Then every time that guy walks in the room with the plant, it starts freaking out on the polygraph, like it remembers its friends murderer...

I think I read of one where the plant responded to bleach being poured down a kitchen sink, and it freaked out from all the bacteria dying in the drain.

Maybe my brains fried, but I totally believe that plants respond in an almost conscious way to outside stimuli.

Man...that is some crazy shit. Plants seriously are aware...at least of life. I think. They are aware of life forms living in their area.

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Music and Growing [Re: Fick]
    #384366 - 03/16/10 12:20 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Fick said:

Holy.

Fucking.

Shit.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #384603 - 03/16/10 11:11 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

The new fan I got has a radio feature. I run the fan while I run my HPS (12 hours, the rest with CFLs) and while the fan is on, I might as well use the radio on it too :lol:

I just put it on the classic rock station.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Music and Growing [Re: RasJeph]
    #384664 - 03/16/10 01:40 PM (14 years, 15 days ago)

#

nice mention.  I've never heard of the documentary or the book, but I will try to watch this documentary later tonight.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies