Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: TomCollins]
    #375194 - 02/28/10 12:37 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Spency said:
Quote:

Jeff Funk said:
No it wouldn't since I live no where near a salt water source, except for the local pet store or aquarium shop. Not to mention most people with salt water tanks mix the water themselves then test it before adding it to your tank. I have a 480 gallon tank I have yet to find a place that carries that much salt water.

Then I have no clue what the point of one is.

Are you serious? What is the point of any other fish tank? For decoration or personal enjoyment I would think. Maybe I don't understand what you meant in your questions... Do people have salt water aquariums in Germany? The point is... if he can't or don't want to do the electrical work him/herself that could be an adequate excuse for needing another breaker without rising suspicion. I don't think an electrician will search the yellow pages and see if there's places to supply you with water to fill your tank before performing the work needed.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTomCollins

Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: Jeff Funk]
    #375203 - 02/28/10 12:51 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Oh shit I'm so sorry, I completely misunderstood you! I was thinking "Salt water tank? With lights? This guy must have one of those salt water purifiers." Then I guess some how, I rationalized that you had a solar powered salt water purifier, but ran lights on it. :shrug: I dunno...

Again, my apologies. Wow, excuse my retardedness please. :tongue:

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Loc: Unknown
Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: westcoastdawg]
    #375234 - 02/28/10 01:56 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

206 said:
Don't run extension cords.

If you absolutely must use them (and if you're ever going to recommend someone else use them...) make sure they are 12-gauge or better. You (both?) need to read about ohm resistance, not ohms law. Besides the whole, you know, fire hazard thing, you might be surprised to learn how inefficient most extension cords and how much money they might already be losing you.

Ah. I have done this a few times in the past using these principals. Realizing that my ideas are not for every one. I am not gonna argue with you. I was only trying to help by sharing some of my experiences. I didn't consider ohm resistance. That is probably why my electric was so high. subject.
Quote:

westcoastdawg said:
ok so some of my advice has been running extension cords from other parts of the house and to steal electricity. to each their own and i really hope the best for them, i just like to cover my ass a little better and safer. but if it works for others, more power.

Residential Wireing for dummies sounds like what i'm gonna do. it really sounds simple enough if i do it right and safe.

running a 240v does sound like a good idea. so would i need a special timer for that. does 240 have to have the big dryer plug? sorry for the stupid question, but i am buying a "for dummies" book lol

Respect bro. Sounds like you got this. Don't steal. It's unethical, of coarse and stealing electricity's the way 90% of indoor, clandestine, operations are discovered.. But you knew that.:peace:

Offlinewestcoastdawg
Stranger
Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: pha3r0]
    #375280 - 02/28/10 03:00 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i looked a little into what is needed and how to do it. it looks fairly simple to wire it into the box.

for 240v i should use #10 wire, but i'm not sure what i wire to the other end. my lights are on the way and say they they are capable of running off 120 and 240. so can i just put a 3 prong plug box at that end? i guess i really dont know the difference between the 2, except 240 can run more. i dont know what to put at other end.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #375288 - 02/28/10 03:24 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Extension cords and stealing electricity is just plain stupid!!!! :thumbdown:

First off if you run a small ass extension cord like the ones you buy in a hardware store or walmart and run these big lamps off them, you are creating a fire hazard. Feel the cord sometime while the light has been running.

Second, stealing electricity is asking for major trouble! Stuff like this gets people busted. Eventually someone will notice something wrong, investigate and possibly get L.E.O. involved and then possibly find your grow.

To the OP, The best advice i have read in this thread is to get it wired before hand or do it yourself if you can. They need not know the true reasons for having this done and anything could be used as an excuse. Extra washing machine or whatever. Just have it done before you decide to build your room and all is well.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #375335 - 02/28/10 04:28 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'd use the hot tub excuse. Who installs an EXTRA dryer or washing machine?

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

#375357 - 02/28/10 04:43 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, you'd run your circuit to outlets and switches...  If you want multiple outlets in different locations, just use a junction box from a convenient mid-point location to your panel.  Then run from your j-box to your outlets...  The outlets are designed to be easy to install, and I think you'll be able to figure it out when you get to lookin at it.

I would go 120 for simplicity if your ballasts run both.  The breaker and outlets are probably cheaper for one.
Also, I'd suggest doing a professional job.  Use metal j-boxes and 10/2 MC (metal coated) wire if you're going to leave your runs exposed and not in the wall.  The blue ones are for romex and being fully installed in the drywall.

ALso, if you DO decide to hire someone after all, I'd go the craigslist route.  There's alot of tradesmen all over the country hurtin for work right now and you could get someone to hook up your fish tank for you for cheap.

Offlinewestcoastdawg
Stranger
Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: DudeTron]
    #375565 - 02/28/10 07:55 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

so the 120 would be cheaper and easier.

is there an advantage in running 240 instead?

i looked at craiglist and wow there are a lot of people willing to do some work. if i go this route, should i have him do 240? can 240 have regular plugs or just the big odd looking ones?

thanks

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

#375849 - 03/01/10 03:34 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

As far as I know, there's not actually any difference.  240 is really just 120X2.  It's mostly a matter of international standards, and in the case of appliances they just need the extra power.

240 can only have weird plugs, but adapters exist.

Also 240 breakers are like a double pole breaker and take just as many panel slots as multiple 120v

Some stoners on another board did mention that when you run higher voltage, there's slightly less power lost via heat making it more efficient, but that it was negligible in our circumstances.

I still think you could do it though man... I'd suggest doing a little reading about it and asking the guy at home depot for some advice.  Last resort have one of those electricians come over and "bid" the job, and work him for info.  Float dude $20 for his time and take over.  Or, have all the materials ready, make it $50 and a half rack and I'll bet he'd just do it.

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: DudeTron]
    #375903 - 03/01/10 08:46 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I know if you called my ad (if i had one and if I were an electician) and offered me a 6er and a jackson to help you out and not ask questions I would do it. tradesmen are up shit creek right now well do just about anything. plus most tradesmen, younger ones anyways, are very open minded.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

#375928 - 03/01/10 10:27 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I heard using 240v comes out to be slightly cheaper. I bought a power box that plugs into a 240v dryer outlet, and then into a regular 120v outlet to run the timers. This box runs 4 1000watters.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: Jeff Funk]
    #375933 - 03/01/10 10:30 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Don't quote me on this but I believe the reason you save power using 240v is that the current drop is less over the length of the power cords. I sure wish I had payed attention all the times my boss made me do electrical work to fill in for slow trim work.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

OfflineVictorMaitland
Big Bad Wolf who needs his bacon
Male

#376019 - 03/01/10 11:40 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Theres lots of things that would require you to put in a new circuit, tell the electrician that you're going to start blowing glass or sculpting clay and you need a circuit for the kiln to fire them in. Those things draw some major wattage, you could prolly get him to do it 240 this way too. I have a book called Home Repair and it tells me exactly how to run a new circuit, i would suggest getting a book on how to do it if you do decide to do it yourself.

--------------------
A Big bad wolf who needs his bacon... bags filled up with that Victor Maitland.

Offlinewestcoastdawg
Stranger
Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: VictorMaitland]
    #377119 - 03/02/10 04:32 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

ok, so i got a buddy at work to help me, for the hot tub. he said he can come over for some beer.

i'm gonna tell him 240v is the route i wanna go.

thanks for all the advise guys. hopefully the 240 saves a buck or two

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Loc: Unknown
    #377517 - 03/02/10 11:16 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

240 volts will definitely save you a buck or two.:wink::goodluck::peace:

Invisibleboomsaway
 User Gallery

Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: Buddy Guy]
    #400277 - 04/12/10 06:57 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

ok, before this thread truly dies...

When i was working with a certain company that deals with 240v and 480v
i was told by one worker that 240v in the house is great because u can use it to
move more amps to a certain room then split it into a couple 120v

Im no electrician but this makes total sense to me,

u can run ur power via 240v then in ur room u can split it to run multiple lights on 120v
or of course, just run on the 240v, but then ur lacking outlets for other stuff like fans, pumps, etc.

or maybe that dude was wrong
anyway...

did u end up paying for it?

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: boomsaway]
    #400422 - 04/12/10 10:55 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I'm not sure where you all are at, but around my house and most other U.S. homes it is a 110 and 220v. And from my basic knowledge of electricity, if you run a 220v circuit, it is gonna stay 220v. You may be able to step it down in voltage and split it to 110 if you use resistor's of some sort.:shrug:

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#400454 - 04/13/10 12:36 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
You may be able to step it down in voltage and split it to 110 if you use resistor's of some sort.:shrug:

Wrong. That's what step down transformers are for.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #400479 - 04/13/10 05:42 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
I'm not sure where you all are at, but around my house and most other U.S. homes it is a 110 and 220v.:shrug:

Not true. This is from wikipedia.org. Its the International Electrotechnical Commission standards. They are based in Switzerland but set the standards for electricity for most of the planet.

IEC 60038: Three-phase 60 Hz

* 120 V / 208 V
    * 240 V
    * 277 V / 480 V
    * 480 V
    * 347 V / 600 V
    * 600 V

One-phase, three-wire 60 Hz
    * 120 V / 240 V

The one we use is the One-phase, 3-wire 60Hz. 120V and 240V.

I do remember it being 110/220 back when I was a kid. Not sure when the standards changed though. Or maybe we were all lied to as kids? :shrug:

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #400585 - 04/13/10 12:23 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I do remember it being 110/220 back when I was a kid. Not sure when the standards changed though. Or maybe we were all lied to as kids?

Wow, they changed it????
See i had taken a couple electrian classes back in highschool. And it was 110 and 220 what they taught us. So what is the point of getting schooled, if by the time your done they decide to change it all up? Sorry for the mis info!! like i said they trained us with them voltages. :shrug:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom