Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMud
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Newbie Trying To Do It BIGGGGG! [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #370214 - 02/22/10 02:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I have recently upped my wattage to 3200w and added a light mover its still not enough for my room of 11x16'. I will end up going 6 1k cool tubes on the next round.

Make sure you go 220v even with 5kw total my power bill is still reasonable and I attribute it to the 220v

Buy all your nutes at once for the entire grow, I would suggest going with all the same line and get the feeding schedule to guide you if you dont know what to add when.

I had an easy 100 hours of labor putting it all together, make sure you have a realistic timeline.

growing with a partner is also very hard even for the best of friends, being as you both are so new I would make sure you  both read the same grow guides.

I can tell you from exp it doesnt matter how low key you keep it your partner or someone you have told will talk about it, you or your partners soon to be ex wives, butt hurt friends that feel you should have included them in your grow.  Not everyone has the ability to keep such an exciting thing a secret I hope you can evaluate yourself and your partners ability to keep quiet.

Good luck on your grow, I also like the go big mentality

Mud

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Newbie Trying To Do It BIGGGGG! [Re: Mud]
    #370265 - 02/22/10 08:12 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

oh man if you're working with 11x18 I would suggest staying away from the cooltubes. they're great for small grows but they suck at reflecting. you're going to be wasting a ton of your light if you use all those in a room that size, and I hate to see you wasting light if you're already running 6000W...

--------------------

OfflineMud
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Newbie Trying To Do It BIGGGGG! [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #370721 - 02/22/10 02:46 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

the reflectors are only on the tubes for the first 30-40 days or so after that I need the light to be able to shine higher than the reflector allows. 

The hood takes up height around 14 inches and I already sacrificed a 6-7 inches for the light rail and I want that last 20 or so inches. If I need a little more height at the end I can disconnect and use the cool tubes from both sides with the current venting system.

Mud

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #370805 - 02/22/10 04:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

why would you need that? are you severely space limited? most of the time it's more efficient to keep your plants somewhat low anyway

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#371337 - 02/23/10 07:14 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

yeah thats an odd requirement and what was that you said HB, about about light energy being proportional to the angle of incident? light hitting the leaf at 45% is 52% less??? maybe i am on crack it's early still

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Newbie Trying To Do It BIGGGGG! [Re: pha3r0]
    #371373 - 02/23/10 08:24 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

yes. the amount of energy your surface absorbs is  Xcos(y)  Where x is your original wattage, and y is the angle of incidence.

so a 1000W light hitting the plant at 45 degrees --  1000 cos(45) = 525.3W of light

and that doesn't even deal with the exponential diminishment of distance

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#371399 - 02/23/10 09:46 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

nerd :smile:

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

OfflineMud
Stranger
 User Gallery

#371885 - 02/23/10 09:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I am at 3200w of hps and the cool tubes read the same on the light meter at 30" as the hood at 30". Granted my light meter sucks and I dont entirely trust it I would need some kind of proof that the cool tubes reflect less light before I would not use them over hoods when I upgrade again.

sorry for derailing this thread mang!

Mud

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #371901 - 02/23/10 09:26 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

common sense is your proof. the reflective portion only wraps around about 30% of the bulb, whereas a normal reflector covers about 60-70% of the bulb. that extra 30%-40% of light gets reflected downwards instead of going to the ceiling. makes sense, no?

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
    #371947 - 02/23/10 09:50 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
common sense is your proof. the reflective portion only wraps around about 30% of the bulb, whereas a normal reflector covers about 60-70% of the bulb. that extra 30%-40% of light gets reflected downwards instead of going to the ceiling. makes sense, no?

yes, yes it does.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineMud
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Newbie Trying To Do It BIGGGGG! [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #372185 - 02/24/10 03:00 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I with not disagree with that logic although I would have put it a little nicer myself.

Look at the pic of my room(minus the screen), I dont know what exactly I have for max height but my brain is telling me I could get 20 maybe 30 more inches of growth in the center of my room if I run the cool tubes 2' off center at the end. My brain has been wrong before.

I can get  the cool tubes 5" or so closer than the hood, does that not seem like a fair trade off considering how fast the exponential diminishment of distance.

I am not trying to debate, just interested in improving. The only thing for sure is the other 3kw will be there in some form for next harvest.

Mud

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#372247 - 02/24/10 07:18 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

the question that comes to mind when reading yours is do you need an extra 20 or 30 inches? do you need the extra 5? looks like your room is 7ft tall or so? even a large sativa you can keep under that happily(with training). even if you your strain of choice needs all that space putting lights to the side of a plant is almost counter productive. case in point the last plant my buddy grew before i started helping him. it got to tall to keep his HPS above it so he moved it to the side. after 3 weeks it looked pouty all the time thirsty or not. all the leaves were pointing to the light, or trying to. I put a single 65w CFL above the plant and the next day all the leaves had pointed back up even though the 150w HPS was closer to at least half of them. they just know the sun should up i guess

and there is integra21, hes doing a huge scrog with 3ft of height to work with.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #372267 - 02/24/10 07:49 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

hmm you're right, rereading that and I do sound like a dick. :bow: apologies good sir.

That is a beautiful room you have there! I'm extremely jealous :sad:

Anyhow, another thing to consider is that light intensity diminishes exponentially with increased distance from the bulb. so regardless of your reflector choice, having a tall plant is less effective for maximizing yield than just scrogging one just like you have there.

Now granted, on a tall plant you'll get more overall weight, but most of it will be under-developed popcorn bud from the lower branches, stuff that you likely won't smoke anyway. If you're one of those people who just love hash, then by all means go for it :grin:

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#372272 - 02/24/10 07:57 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

damnit harry stop upsetting the members! no my reply is a bit critical too i guess. you said exactly what i meant by 'do you need the extra 20-30 inches'. you might have it but having plants that tall indoors just seems a waste.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #372285 - 02/24/10 08:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Anything much over 5ft. just seems like a waste of light resources to me.

But what the hell would I know? I only have a 400W.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineMud
Stranger
 User Gallery

#372654 - 02/24/10 04:21 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Great info thats exactly what I needed to hear. I just didnt want to run out of room with all the different methods I got jumbled in there now, not as viable of a back up plan as I would like but oh well.

I would gladly continue this in my revamp thread if you have any other comments.

Thanks guys

Mud

OfflineSimple
Lover
 User Gallery

Re: Newbie Trying To Do It BIGGGGG! [Re: mhbound]
    #378666 - 03/04/10 10:42 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:
i must add though that i am a firm believer in the whole GoBigOrGoHome theory.

paranoia gee

FOOL, go swollor sum fucking stones and man the fuck up!

"Go Big, or Go Home" Needs Guts.

--------------------
Sifting through the shit of life

OfflineLucid
Monster Plant Creator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada-ish. Flag
Re: Newbie Trying To Do It BIGGGGG! [Re: Simple]
    #379094 - 03/06/10 12:33 PM (14 years, 26 days ago)

Guts indeed, Do you need money really badly or something?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Newbie Trying To Do It BIGGGGG! [Re: Simple]
    #379118 - 03/06/10 02:12 PM (14 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Simple said:
Quote:

mhbound said:
i must add though that i am a firm believer in the whole GoBigOrGoHome theory.

paranoia gee

FOOL, go swollor sum fucking stones and man the fuck up!

"Go Big, or Go Home" Needs Guts.

what is that supposed to mean? Go big or go home only
applies if you the knowledge and skills to make it worth your while. Doesn't matter how fucking big your room is, if you suck at growing you won't ever pay it off or make it worth your while.

There's a phrase for people who go big or go home "with guts"

it's called retardation

--------------------

Offlinehisheater
trigger man
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #379136 - 03/06/10 03:00 PM (14 years, 26 days ago)

heh heh nice highjacking.
:costanza:

--------------------
They call them fingers but I never see them fing... Oh wait, there they go.
-----------------------------------------------
Doo Yoo Hookah???

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom