Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKrielow

Re: Very Sick! [Re: Krielow]
    #354603 - 01/28/10 04:29 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

ok thank you! so if the ph buffers that i add to the water is what changed the ph of the soil what do the ph calibrators do? sorry if im asking so many questions im just trying to get this down pact exactly for the first time in a week yall have gave me the reassurance i need that this plant isnt done for lol

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTomCollins

#354788 - 01/29/10 01:46 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

the ph calibrators are the ph buffers. Sorry, I use both terms pretty interchangeably.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Very Sick! [Re: TomCollins]
    #355209 - 01/29/10 10:57 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Ok,

First off, you have a 2 inch tall plant in a 5 gallon bucket.  You do NOT need to be watering every other day.  That is WAY too much for that plant.  It probably doesn't have roots anywhere near the bottom ofyour bucket to be able to drink the water that's down that far.

I think the first step you need to do here is top watering so often.

Secondly, like the others said, get a pH kit and check that.  It is very important.

Third, don't start any nutrients.  Go ahead and get Fox Farm nutrients when you go to pick up the pH test kits.  It's a great nutrient for soil. 

Fourth, your plants don't look that horrible man.  I'd say for your first time your not doing too bad.

Good luck man.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

#355216 - 01/29/10 11:02 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Looks to me like it was just really close to a flouro light(which is just fine actually).

I'd water it more.

I'd just water it with straight water for 7 days or so and see what it looks like then.

[EDIT]Oh ya, and first thing I always do is break up soild soil very fine before planting anything.

Roots have a hard time penetrating those thick clumps.

Edited by DoPeYsMuRf (01/29/10 11:09 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Very Sick! [Re: DoPeYsMuRf]
    #355288 - 01/30/10 12:15 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

This is really bad advice.  His plant has no signs of nutrient toxicity, maybe a little heavy on nitrogen at the moment but not toxic. 

Watering a plant that size in a bucket that size more is going to drown it.  Very bad advice man.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Very Sick! [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #355289 - 01/30/10 12:17 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I dunno man I dont think its really bad advice. But also shouldnt he be watering towards the stem so that the roots have to go reach for the water?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #355294 - 01/30/10 01:51 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

No that would be watering away from the stem to make the roots search for water. 

I have grown in 5 gallon buckets for quite awhile.  And I can tell you for certain that he is over watering that plant as it is right now.  To increase it would just hurt him more.

The plants I have going right now are 2 1/2 feet tall by 2 feet wide in a 2 gallon pot and I only have to water it every 3 days at the very most.  They're under 2000 watts of light right now.

I can guarantee that increasing the amount of water will be detrimental.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

#355298 - 01/30/10 02:03 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Ya know, I didn't really read the post I kind of just looked at the pics and all i saw was dry soil.

After reading it its obviously a drainage problem because If you have good drainage you cannot overwater.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #355299 - 01/30/10 02:06 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Again, bad advice. 

You can over water in straight perlite, and that's the best drainage you can get.  If your growing medium stays too soggy it can cause damping, root rot, and a host of other problems.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

#355301 - 01/30/10 02:08 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Also I've just been researching alot about about root stocks. Strains grown specifically for superior roots.

I started reading about it because one of my plant needed watered 3 times as many times as the other plants.

And from reading my intuition was correct. People actually breed plants specifically for superior root so they can graft a superior fruited plant to it.

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
    #355302 - 01/30/10 02:14 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

What more valuable plant would you graft to a cannabis root stock?  Bizarre train of thought there...

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

#355303 - 01/30/10 02:15 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Again, bad advice. 

You can over water in straight perlite, and that's the best drainage you can get.  If your growing medium stays too soggy it can cause damping, root rot, and a host of other problems.

Your absolutely right. YaH I could overwater by just running a hose on the plant 24/7.

His plant is a pretty good size and I'm sure he knows the basics of watering. Everone I bet in theyre lifetime has experienced a drainage problem Which is no means overwatering. Yes it has become overwatered from lack of drainage that makes sense.

Every morning I fill my plants till the water is in an inch in my water capture plate. The next day I do the same thing.
I used to dry it out but IME constant bombardment of water is much more effective. Of course I keep things very clean.

I have not had any bug problems ever or root rot from doing this.

To each his own. I like water and so do my plants.

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

Re: Very Sick! [Re: dutc2006]
    #355304 - 01/30/10 02:17 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

dutc2006 said:
What more valuable plant would you graft to a cannabis root stock?  Bizarre train of thought there...

A great strain that produces small buds. The roots would feed the plant better. It's well researched, only with other fruiting plants.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #355307 - 01/30/10 02:32 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Dude, damping off is caused by a lack of oxygen to the root mass.  Exactly what over watering does.  If you over water the roots don't get oxygen, thereby killing your plant.  If what your trying to claim were true you could leave the plants in stagnant water and it wouldn't be a problem.  But no, when Using Hydroponic ebb and flo tables your learn that you need to drain water.  Other wise it would be a whole lot easier to do Hydro

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

#355308 - 01/30/10 02:45 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I never said to leave plants in stagnant water. You just keep thinking I meant that.

Having stagnant water is completely different than overwatering..

They are correlated but not the same thing.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #355310 - 01/30/10 02:50 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

But increasing his watering regimen in that large of a bucket with that size of a plant will cause stagnant water.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

#355311 - 01/30/10 02:55 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yes I agree. I stated that earlier when I said I was just looking at the pictures :laugh:

That size plant in that size bucket should only be watered fully every 3-5 days depending on external factors such as humidity and temp.

I was refering to a well esablished plant for some reason. I blame the weed. But then it got into a definition argument becuase its 4 in the morning and some excitement stirred up.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #355313 - 01/30/10 02:58 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Oh okay, I thought you were meaning water it every day with how big it is.  Nah a full grown plant in that big of a bucket could be watered every day.  Just depends on all the parameters.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineKrielow

#355417 - 01/30/10 12:15 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you for all the help everyone!!! just like you guys thought my ph was pretty acidic (4.8) i still dont have a ph meter but i am using a friends for now just to correct the problem i have also widened the drainage holes to be about 1/2" around im slowly adding ph up a little bit every day thanky ou for all the help everyone!

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #355512 - 01/30/10 03:06 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Next time around it would be wise to mix in a good amount of perlite into your soil to help with drainage.  The perlite helps keep the soil from packing in too much allowing water to drain through more freely.

--------------------

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck