Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com CVG Mushroom Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
I'm living my own wet dream
    #351173 - 01/21/10 08:26 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Gonna leave this here for a couple days to help get some conversation started and then move it over to GRD

Soooo..... I work for this company that professionally installs and renovates greenhouses. Well somebody rather wealthy saw some of our work and just hired me and one of my friends as freelance consultants to convert his garage into a grow space.

So here's the deal- I have a blank slate on a 20'x14' space (yes you read that right, and yes I almost shit my pants too). he wants the ability for mothers and clones and veg, as well as a flowering room. The 20' wall is the side that needs to have the door in it so keep that in mind also.

So I'm curious in hearing everyone's designs for this. How would you divide up the space for maximum harvest while still keeping everything efficient in terms of access to the rooms, efficient airflow so that all spaces are properly ventilated, and proper heating and cooling. remember, this is in a detached garage, so although we're planning on insulating and hanging sheetrock, temperatures will be a concern.

Thanks everyone, I think this should be pretty fun to toss around ideas on :grin:
and I can't wait for a month from now when I can post some pictures of my 6000W flowering room :doggystyle:

ALSO NOTE: THIS ROOM IS 100% LEGAL UNDER COLORADO CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT #20.

--------------------

Edited by Harry_Ba11sach (02/08/10 12:07 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerodfarva

Loc: Sobe
Re: I'm living my own wet dream [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #351177 - 01/21/10 08:44 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hell yea, i always wanted to do this, and even had it happen.
I didnt have the heart to follow through tho: the guys family owns commercial greenhouses and wanted to start a legal co-op grow (using %100 my connections.) At first i thought they wanted to do it someplace off site, and use their wholesale light and hydro discounts etc... but nooooo they wanted to grow right in part of their shop. Behind the part open to the public.

I :facepalm: 'd

then had to break the news:
    word would get out about the grow almost instantly, no, almost more than instantly- like time travel; everyone would fucking know about it a day before we knew we were doing it. Then since we're 20 min from detroit, eventually someone would come kill me, him, and probably their whole family, then take the weed and all the $ and supplies.

They immediately agreed with my premise and were totally upset with themselves that they hadnt realized on their own. Then the became incredibly reluctant to do it in a new building (either of us could easily buy or rent something more than adequate.) SE michigan is so fucked my boy just bought a 2500 sq' house 12 years old and in a really nice area for $90,000. The same house was sold 7 years ago for $320,000.

I could probably buy a 100,000 sq/ft shop here for about the same price + some hella large heating and tax bills. Its laughable, most the downtown loft renovations rent for less than what the heat bill costs in the winter months.

Fuck i hope we can get something together because we could really do well in an actual greenhouse set up. even if we could only grow 12 plants, can you imagine 12 - 15 foot plants? yum. The weight is only counted after harvest from what i understand, so idk ... still need to keep everything on the low, low, fo real.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: I'm living my own wet dream [Re: rodfarva]
    #351178 - 01/21/10 08:53 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Come out here dude, you got a business partner in me :grin:

--------------------

Offlinerodfarva

#351181 - 01/21/10 08:59 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yeah? where you at, if shit really falls apart for me ill do it.

Im talking about a full next energy integration, as well as custom bullet proofing and small cheatas with lasers.
Then, grow big weed in secret, depositing massive quantities in multiple safe stashes before selling so much as a gram of it. Preferably, sales would be conducted after dismantling of the grow. Meanwhile the grow area would be converted into a profitable edible gourmet mushroom house.

Wind and solar generators integrated with the grid, natural light through the roof polarized to prevent sight from air, but not filter UV. geo-thermal wells, or a mill are also pretty interesting to me.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #351189 - 01/21/10 09:30 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Lol ok that sounds a bit extreme to me:lol:
any thoughts on what the most efficient layout would be for my curret situation? I've got some ideas but I'm in class right now. I'll be sure to upload some when I get home

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #351193 - 01/21/10 09:51 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

That grow is gonna be EXTREME Harry! Can't wait to see it. You got me brainstorming now. :plot:

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Offlinerodfarva

Re: I'm living my own wet dream [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #351198 - 01/21/10 10:02 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

lets start with the rough layout, draw a bmp of the room and where the door is. Does it open in or out?
is it on a slab, basement, crawlspace? Whats above it; celing/attic, drop celing, second floor, or roof?

WHat are the walls made of?

what kind of electric exists already?

Is there running H2o and/or a drain in the floor?

--------------------

Offlinepblcenmy1
Perfectionist
Male User Gallery

Loc: CO Flag
    #351200 - 01/21/10 10:04 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'd relay the flooring ( assuming the ground is concrete, raise it up about 8 inches using pressurized beams and inside the flooring would be my ventilation either by pvc tubing or pro-flex of some sort with multiple connections from a main artery of fans that were maybe segregated in a corner.  I would also have vegetative plants and the clones together maybe the same side as the socialized fans were to free up congestion around any flowering plant to help it breath unrestricted and to move around them with ease when harvest comes.  And i would incorporate side lighting Fluorescent tubing with HPS from the ceiling.

This is mostly my dream but hopefully you can use an idea or two.  The underfloor ventilation i can picture in my head but not sure if its effectiveness would outrun its difficulty.  What say you Harry?

--------------------
Down 2 Earth, Up N Space!

Offlinepblcenmy1
Perfectionist
Male User Gallery

Loc: CO Flag
Re: I'm living my own wet dream [Re: pblcenmy1]
    #351202 - 01/21/10 10:09 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I just read that first sentence, and no, i didnt say to raise the concrete! haha sorry i just woke up and i havnt been stoned in 3 weeks :/

--------------------
Down 2 Earth, Up N Space!

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #351219 - 01/21/10 11:25 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

rodfarva said:
lets start with the rough layout, draw a bmp of the room and where the door is. Does it open in or out?
is it on a slab, basement, crawlspace? Whats above it; celing/attic, drop celing, second floor, or roof?

WHat are the walls made of?

what kind of electric exists already?

Is there running H2o and/or a drain in the floor?

right now it's a 20x24' garage and he wants us to section part of it off (about 15 feet or so). it's a poured concrete slab floor with 18" footers. it already has power (150amp breakers on 120V circuit), but we're in charge of running water lines and installing drains. my co-worker is extremely experienced with plumbing installations so this part will be easy. For the purposes of designing this we can put a drain ANYWHERE we need within the structure, so keep that in mind :smile:

the ceilings are 8'7" to the cross beams, but the top of the A-framed roof is 10' at the peak. we're going to be putting insulation and sheetrock over the cross beams to give a steady roof, but that frees up space to run ventilation and plumbing through the ceilings, which should be a great advantage rather than running them through the walls of the rooms.

As of right now the walls are simply corrugated steel with 2x4 wood braces, but we're going to frame it up more, install fiberglass insulation (the pink shit) and then sheetrock the entire inside.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #351599 - 01/21/10 08:14 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Here's a little Sketch of what I'm thinking so far. Let me know if you have ANY suggestions or comments. any ideas on the best way to ventilate would also be greatly appreciated!  This is a huge project so I am very open to ANY ideas. Thanks!

--------------------

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
    #351607 - 01/21/10 08:18 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i like it.

my suggestion would be keep it as simple as possible.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #351613 - 01/21/10 08:21 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

oh and I wanted to mention; for the ceiling I just mean that it's unfinished so you can still see the internal bracing. it's nothing to worry about but I felt it was worth mentioning so that you knew I'm able to run ventilation through the rafters if need be.

like this

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: I'm living my own wet dream [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #351625 - 01/21/10 08:28 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

how would you suggest keeping it simple? I've never hooked up 11,000W of light before....

I'm thinking venting the flowering lights in sets of three going towards a central air duct leading outside. If I ran a 10" duct across the top of the wall dividing the flower and veg rooms then I could just connect all the lights

real quick, something like this;

--------------------

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
    #351652 - 01/21/10 09:14 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

exactly what you just drew up is what i meant.

as far as ductwork and electrical work. keep it simple. instead of having 13 different pieces of duct running, know what i mean? you have way more experience than me so i'm sure you already had that idea though. :shrug:

i like the set up you just drew though, seems to be the most simple and most effective way to go i would think.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #351656 - 01/21/10 09:21 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I also need a little help heating and cooling the place. since this grow room will share 3 rooms with the outside world the insulation and air exchange probably won't be 100% sufficient for maintaining internal temperatures.

I'm thinking about heating and air conditioning the remainder of the garage and just having the air intake for the grow rooms come from there....

thanks everyone!

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #351693 - 01/21/10 10:10 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Your flower room is 12 x 15 with 9 lights. The total area can be used for growing. How you planning to move around in there to take care of plants? How you going to water?

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: I'm living my own wet dream [Re: KaptKid]
    #351696 - 01/21/10 10:14 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'm thinking about offsetting the lights a bit towards right (from our perspective in my sketches) so that there's a walkway along that wall. this would also increase the light density above 50W/m^2 and increase yields accordingly. As far as moving throughout the area, I was condsidering building an aero system kinda like this so that you can walk in between the rows.

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #351718 - 01/21/10 10:38 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Damn Harry, looks like you got a great plan to start with. I'd kill to have an area like that. :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Offlinerodfarva

#351719 - 01/21/10 10:38 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

why not make a moving light rig. Lots of work, and a pita if your not inclined to hobby like i am, but i understand you can use 25% less power.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #351732 - 01/21/10 11:36 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

well since I'm building this system for someone else I'd like to install something that works on the first go without too much tinkering. a light rail is possible I suppose, but nothing fancier than that.

how many lights would you suggest with a rail?

--------------------

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
    #351778 - 01/22/10 05:35 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Just a generalized comment here, but if it were my area I would decrease the area dedicated to mothers and clones, adding it to the veg area.  Also, one 600W MH would be ample for even that large an area as clones don't need much light, and in my personal preference, I like to keep my mothers in less light to induce stretching. Longer internode distance makes it easier to take cuttings.  I guess it depends on the growers preference, how long they like to veg their plants and whatnot.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: I'm living my own wet dream [Re: dutc2006]
    #351789 - 01/22/10 07:49 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

that's a good point actually. no need for 1200W for clones and moms I would think.... but vegging might require a little more space.

So what about a grow system to handle that size of an area? I was thinking the giant Ebb and flow like these

I think that would be nice because we could make the buckets detachable so that when a plant is ready to move from vegging to flowering we can literally just detach the hose and carry it into the flowering room..... but then we have to deal with ENORMOUS reservoirs to handle this many plants. I was thinking at least 2-3 separate systems in the flower room to create a perpetual harvest every 2-3 weeks or so... Thoughts? I think aero would be very cool, but I think it'll get really messy carrying 20 plants with dripping roots hanging down all the way across the room into a new system...

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #351795 - 01/22/10 08:46 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Personally, I wouldn't go with a light rail but that's just me. No sense making things more complicated than it's already going to be. Maybe in the veg room at the most but not for the whole grow.

On the other hand, the Ebb n Flow is a much better idea than the aero. Easier to maintain and like you said, transport from veg to flowering. I would have suggested it earlier but I thought you might know something about aero that I didn't.

When are you supposed to start this project anyway?

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #351810 - 01/22/10 09:26 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Nah I agree, light rails are kinda pointless IMO, I'm glad you said that :tongue:

do you know much about ebb and flow systems? I don't entirely understand how you control the pump to prevent the buckets from overflowing. Also, do you use two pumps or just get a pump to go in reverse?

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #351834 - 01/22/10 10:13 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Check out some of the larger grows in ICMag for ideas.  I've seen plenty of grows mirroring your dimensions and wattage before.

Check through this thread too, you might get some good ideas?

I've never built anything that large so I'm not going to be of much assistance, but it really seems like you have the right ideas coming.

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/272150

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: I'm living my own wet dream [Re: Inverted]
    #351835 - 01/22/10 10:15 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Here is the tutorial I loved the most.  This guy has gotten AMAZING results and has been doing it for a long time with proven reliability and whatever scale you use the system.

Recurculating DWC Buckets

Tons of people have mocked that system and even noobs had good results.

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #351849 - 01/22/10 10:31 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I don't know anything about E&F systems. Magash would be the one to ask about that. From what I understand, that system you posted a pic of is the exact same one he uses.

--------------------

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
    #351870 - 01/22/10 11:10 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

On E&Fs the pump is on a timer, set to turn on for however long it takes to flood to the desired level, then the water drains.  Personal preference and other growing parameters dictate how many times a day to flood.  It will depend on the media used, size of the plants, the strain, etc.  Basically, as often as the roots can dry out you can rehydrate them, generally 3-6 times a day, or more if your media dries out fast enough.  I would say E&F is mandatory for a grow of this scale, that way you can mix nutes in 100 gallon increments.  You will need bubblers in your nute rez's to keep them from growing algea and other bacteria and mess.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: I'm living my own wet dream [Re: dutc2006]
    #351895 - 01/22/10 12:57 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I was thinking about just having a 3/4" fill hose and a 2" or 1.5" drain hose right at the top of the res so that it can always drain back to the res faster than it's being filled. that way I could just turn on the pump for 15 minutes and it'll just fill to the top and keep replenishing the water until the 15 minutes is up... does that make sense?

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #351930 - 01/22/10 02:58 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

also, what size ventilation do you all think would be best for this? I'm thinking this bitch right here with 12" ducting on the centerline, but 6" ducting from light to light connecting into the 12". booster fans? or do you think 2050cfm will be sufficient? lol

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=736690

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#351978 - 01/22/10 04:19 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah I would say that's what you should do.  12" is pretty massive.  I can't wait to see this through.  Please tell me you will document and take pics of the operation...

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #352021 - 01/22/10 05:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Found it!!! If you want to know how that particular Ebb & Flow system operates you can find the instructional .pdf on this site: http://www.hydroponics.net They are the ones who actually make the system. Magash posted this link a while back and made me seriously consider getting one myself. Think I'll go with a GH PowerGrower eventually though.

The controller in the system has a float valve that fills the buckets to a predetermined level then shuts off. When the timer shuts off the pump reverses the flow back into the reservoir (from what I understand from reading it). Check it out.

That 12" fan should be just about perfect for your ventilation needs.:cool:

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #352136 - 01/22/10 09:58 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Ok that system looks great but I have a couple questions;

not so sure if I like the containers only being 2 gallons for roots.... I would really
like 3.5 at the least, this guy specifically said he wanted to grow trees....

Also the 48 pot system has a great price for how large it is, but how Is a 55 gal reservoir supposed to fill (48x2)=96 gallons of root space?

I'm afraid it wouldn't be economical to buy 4 of the 36 or 24 pot systems either....

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #352138 - 01/22/10 09:59 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Btw thanks a ton greenthumb! I'm loving the brainstorming you're doing with me :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #352152 - 01/22/10 10:20 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

No problem Harry. That's why I said I plan on opting for the GH PowerGrower. It has a 3-gallon growing chamber and 5.7-gallon reservoir. Which might not seem like much difference but in reality it's 33% more growing space. The only problem with it for your application would be the size of the controller reservoir, which is much smaller than 55 gallons.

When I do eventually try hydro I want to grow trees also. Which is why I'll try the PowerGrower. Unfortunately in your case it seems like you would need a separate PowerGrower system for EACH 1K light. I would like to expand on this system myself and make a bigger controller res but until I have one in front of me, and know the details of how it works, I'm kinda stumped. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineSgt. Smoke
File up and smoke down!
Male

Loc: Classified
    #352155 - 01/22/10 10:28 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Wow, are those 5 gals? Ive never seen that. nice big plants production equipment for sure.

As for ventilation it depends n the size of your room and intervals it's set for..

So you don't want to over or under do it.

Here's a link to a CFM calculator that's helped me for sure. clicky click

Hope this helps and I'll be watching this wet dream:)

--------------------
L.O.B.

LEGION OF BUD

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: I'm living my own wet dream [Re: Sgt. Smoke]
    #352172 - 01/22/10 10:55 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Lol dude I'm fully aware of how to calculate cfm thank you. This is hardly my first grow room I've designed, it's just the first of this size.

Also they're not 5 gallons, hence why I was talking about them being too small like 3 posts ago.

Greenthumb, would you explain to me how the size of the controller res affects the system?

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #352181 - 01/22/10 11:08 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I think Smoke was referring to the Powergrower bucket res which is 5.7 gal.
I'm not too sure how the the controller res affects the system; but I assume if the Res was bigger then you could run more buckets in a Powergrower system. This is why I NEED one. If I had one in front of me then I would just build a BIGGer Powergrower system (with more than 8 buckets).

--------------------

OfflineSgt. Smoke
File up and smoke down!
Male

#352182 - 01/22/10 11:08 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

wow. sorry man. I wasn't talking down to you I was just trying to help.

Maybe it was the..
Quote:

also, what size ventilation do you all think would be best for this? I'm thinking this bitch right here with 12" ducting on the centerline, but 6" ducting from light to light connecting into the 12". booster fans? or do you think 2050cfm will be sufficient? lol

as since you didn't give your dimensions I didn't know what you would need.

Sorry, Like I said i wasn't trying to speak down to you just putting in my two cents.

--------------------
L.O.B.

LEGION OF BUD

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #352184 - 01/22/10 11:09 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Read the WHOLE post Smoke. He gives the dimensions early on.

--------------------

OfflineSgt. Smoke
File up and smoke down!
Male

#352188 - 01/22/10 11:12 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

jeez I'm sorry again!!

First impressions suck huh?LOL!!

--------------------
L.O.B.

LEGION OF BUD

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #352189 - 01/22/10 11:14 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

No it seems to me like you're pretty well read Sgt. Smoke. That post about not enough FAE earlier seemed right on.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #352190 - 01/22/10 11:17 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry smoke, I know you weren't talking down to me. I'm typing all this tonight on my iPhone fro
a condo so I sometimes dont take enough time to type and end up sounding kind cur and angry. My apologies.

I'm still not sure I understand how a 55 gallon res could fill 48 2-gallon buckets though... Wish I knew more abot the system so I could customize it with 5 gallon buckets and a 250gal res

--------------------

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
    #352212 - 01/23/10 12:40 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

They don't necessarily have to fill the buckets as you pointed out earlier, it could be modified to be a top feed drip system, thus removing the need for a huge controller rez.

Offlineblueberry D
Male User Gallery

Loc: michigan
    #352286 - 01/23/10 10:50 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Have you thought about bio buckets I read up the other day on these and sounds pretty beneficial. Since it is such a huge set-up having to switch the water out and figure the ppms sounds like alot of work. Now I am not trying to beat around the bush or take shortcuts but in a huge set-up like that bio-buckets sound like the way to go. Have you guys ever heard of these or know of someone that has and had success. If so let me know because I am really considering my next grow to be somewhat similar.

Offlinerodfarva

#352392 - 01/23/10 04:25 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Why put all your eggs in one basket? Running one huge res, when you could easily run two or three runs a greater risk. If anything contaminates, or goes way off ph, or any of the other problems that are unlikely but do happen you would loose or damage your whole run.

Since you have all that room dedicate most of it to what you think will be the best way, and maybe practice/try a new system off to the side with 5 or 6 buckets.  Dont assume you will get it right the first time, and plan accordingly.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #352411 - 01/23/10 05:14 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Dude I'm definitely planning on running 3-4 different systems, but with a 9KW flowering room each of those 4 systems still needs to be huge. How many 2 gallon buckets do you think can fit in a 12x15 room?

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#352415 - 01/23/10 05:21 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

It's not the size of the buckets but the size of the plants you need to think about.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #352425 - 01/23/10 05:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yes but the size of the plants is controllable and continuously variable, the size of the buckets is static. How many plants would yousuggest at any one time in the flowering room? This guy said he wants trees but I'm going to try to talk him out of that a little bit to reduce time in veg, and reduce popcorn nugs

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#352441 - 01/23/10 06:20 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah trees are epic, but not very efficient.

I'd probably do something like 40 plants.  Split up into (4) 4x5 pot systems.

Seems about right to me :shrug:  I'm a newb when it comes to building hydro systems though, and am simply basing this off of logical size and the need for an aisle down the middle to tend/harvest the plants.  That's just :2cents:

--------------------

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
    #352446 - 01/23/10 06:30 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Depending on the strain, my Strawberry Cough and Wreckage grow out sideways and take up at least 1.5 sq.ft each, my LA Woman's nodes grow straight up along the main stalk and take 1 sq.ft. each, and that is in 3 gallon pots.

Offlinerodfarva

#352471 - 01/23/10 09:01 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Introduce him to SCOG growing. You can get a pound from one bucket.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #352476 - 01/23/10 09:41 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah but do you know how much work it would be to scrog 75-100 plants? Not to mention the impracticality of moving an entire screen with 10 plants tied in from the veg room to the flowering room

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #352480 - 01/23/10 10:02 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, I like the ebb and flow system you showed (cause it's the exact one I use in all 8 of my gardens now to divide the space up I'd use Dark Rooms by Secret Jardin. (like hydro huts but better) They also are made of a material that protects the garden from therm detection. Plus they have all the stuff to hang the fans, lights, and all the stuff without having to put holes in walls and ceilings. Plus should the garden have to move the entire grow spaces can move and the garage looks like it was never used as a grow space. Plus my insane use of the word plus in this thread.
Now I'd divide the flowering space in two so you harvest every month. Now if you have more then 16 plants in each 4x4 space then your gonna have trouble scroging cause of space.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: I'm living my own wet dream [Re: Magash]
    #352511 - 01/23/10 11:15 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Nah we definitely won't scrog, but sog or maybe just a bunch of decent sized bushed seems very likely.

how many plants would you run under 10kw magash? and would you use those 2-gallon ebb and flow pots or would you think about using some 3-5 gallon pots and grow some bigger plants using LST?

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #352590 - 01/24/10 09:20 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

so I'm thinking 3 separate systems for this. Basically one under each row of 1KW lights, but in reality I'm sure they'll get spaced out a littler weirder than that. I can't decide if 24 buckets or 36 buckets would be the best idea but I suppose I'll just ask the dude what his preference is on number of plants vs. size. I'll probably need to lay out the pros and cons of large vs small plants but that won't be too hard I don't think.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#352596 - 01/24/10 09:51 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Is this going to be a legitimate medical grow? 

Doesn't sound like it.  I was just curious.  I didn't remember anything about it being legit.  Awesome nonetheless.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #352600 - 01/24/10 09:59 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

oh yeah it's all going to be completely legal. that's sort of part of the issue here as well since our med cards are limited by the number of plants you can grow, so larger plants will be more practical in terms of yield. 200 small plants will yield more, but then he has to round up 70 patients in order to keep it legal, so he'll probably want to just shoot for like 60-80 larger plants with fewer patients. Each patient will request a 1/4oz or 1/2 or whatever as their half of the deal so larger plants will also maximize "profit" after the patient withdrawal.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #352939 - 01/25/10 10:37 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Does anyone have any good ideas on heating and cooling? The place will be insulated but just taking in fresh air won't be sufficient during the summer
months. I can install an air conditioner, but should it be in the flowering room, or the external portion of the garage? This is a big area to cool with a single AC unit without some complex ducting

--------------------

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #352954 - 01/25/10 12:14 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Harry,
There is a cool article in the latest high times magazine that mirrors everything you want to accomplish. It's in a garage and everything...the guy is running 8,000 watts. In the interview he covers lighting,nutes,timers, and automated AC/Ventilation. It was a really interesting read.

I'm sure you've already seen plenty of examples, just thought I'd throw it out there.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: I'm living my own wet dream [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #352956 - 01/25/10 12:18 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

interesting... would you mind posting me a picture of the cover? I'm gonna go buy the mag but I want to make sure I've got the right one.

thanks man!

--------------------

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

#352983 - 01/25/10 02:02 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Still haven't figured out how to upload pics from my cell, but this should do the trick.

http://hightimes.com/magazine/ht_admin/6150

On a side note there is also a very nice article titled "Mendocino Harvest Tour." This article really opened my eyes to what it's really like in "americas cannabis capital." I also found it of special interest since magash resides in Mendo County...or at least I think he has stated such.

--------------------

Edited by Farmer Joe (01/27/10 06:50 AM)

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Re: I'm living my own wet dream [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #359874 - 02/08/10 09:12 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Any updates on the project harry?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com CVG Mushroom Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract