Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #378186 - 03/03/10 10:52 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

*** Young Plant Status: Much Better, dare I say "Healthy" ***

Today's Date: March 3, 2010
Seed was planted on: Febuary 5
Day 28

^The top canopy is looking a lot better. I can even see some MJ charasterstic "5-ray leaves" starting to come out. Its pretty exciting. Looks like Goldi isn't so Goldilocks after all...

I also went to Homey D today and found this awesome 3-meter gadget, that measures 3 levels: "Moisture", "Light" (in Lumenes, range: 0 - 2000), and "pH" (8-3.5 only) and  that cost only $7.50!!! Its probably kinda inaccurate, but hey, its a cool idea.

Here's the 3-way meter....

So, I was excited to try it out, so I went straight into the grow room to test it out....

First, the pH:

^pH Reading: 7.5 . I shoved the probe like 3-4inches in the soil, toward the roots in the middle. If you look closely, the switch is on "pH" (all the way right) and the needle reads about "7.5" (the scale for pH is on the bottom of the screen). It looks like "7" from this angle, but when I read it, it was 7.5 (basic).

It also has a Light meter, but it only goes up to 2000 lumens. And guess what! It works just like my experiment in "Do Lumes add up?" thread: its uses a little solar cell on the front to measure the light concentration....I can't believe I did something smart....Whoa.

Here's the light reading....

^As you can see, the needle is pinned at over 2000 lumenes. I wish it went higher, so I knew what the actual light is....Well, from this measurement, it looks like Lumens DO add up, because all my bulbs only produce 1,600-1,750 lumens, as said in this package....
-> Left-middle, "1,750 Lum"
-> Right-Middle, "1,600 Lum"

To show it actually is actually accurate, I turned the meter away from the light, and got this reading....

I also measured the "moisture" (not pictured), and it said it was on "2" or the middle of the "Dry" range, 2 number counts from "moist". Made logic because the top soil was dry to the bone, but the underlayer could have been wet.

Since the soil was so dry, I descided it needed some water....

^Everytime I water, I try to stick to Harry's advice about roots: I spray the outer most edge of the pot, so that the roots have to search for it. That's why the center is dry (or at least kinda dry). I think its working pretty well....

Since I thought the water meter was weird, I descided to test it on the extreme, a cup of water.

Here's what I got....

^So its not that accurate, oh well. The needle should be pinned, but its only on "7" out of "10", or "moist". But at least its consistent!

So I dried it off, I descide to try it out again on the just-watered soil.....

^The "Moisture" had gone up by 1 number! This is good! Means the meter's working and it looks like the perfect wettness.

Overall, I'm happy with my $8 3-meter gauge. Its pretty :awesome: to me. :thumbup:

In other news: my photo gallery is getting full, real fast. I'm at 91 MB out of 102MB. Looks like I either have to delete old photos of my plant (which I hate to do), or buy a support account (which I want to do, but I'm broke right now).....Hmm....I'm in sort of a pickle..

Well, it looks like the best thing I can do is just upload 1 photos a week until May when the budz are done and when I run out of file space....freeness only goes so far, and I'm thankful for what I have gotten thus far....

On a brighter note, my plant is looking better than ever: I even think the yellowing, tacoing, and bananing has stopped...but for how long?

I love my new gadget! :smile2::thumbup:
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (03/03/10 10:57 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #378199 - 03/03/10 11:05 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Nice dude.  That PH is going to cause a lockout of nutrients real fast if it isn't corrected.  I'd also just give her water for the next week or two, but keep in mind you want the soil to dry completely before applying the next feeding...  Don't give them a daily little drink, and they also don't need to be sprayed.  Doing so will only divert energy away from root expansion because it's being supplied a small amount of moisture though the vegetation.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Inverted]
    #378207 - 03/03/10 11:10 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Thanks dude. So, to correct the pH, I just have to stop using the food and just use water?

I will try to do a full-soak next watering (or should I do it now?)....should water come out the bottom of the pot at the end of the watering or is that too much?

And I won't spray the leaves...in fact, this time I didn't (for some reason). I will continue to NOT water the leaves from now on....

Thanks for stopping by so fast Inverted! Your help is always helpful....

It Truely Is....
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (03/03/10 11:11 PM)

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #378218 - 03/03/10 11:19 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

No don't water her yet.  You already gave her a misting and whatnot.

Plants are like humans, they can survive for a couple/few days w/ out any water, and I mean none, like the soil is bone dry top to bottom.  To correct pH you have to get a small kit, to raise or lower the ph.  General Hydroponics sells one for about $7-8.  Don't water her for a couple days, let the topsoil get bone dry then start lifting the container/plant and you will probably be able to tell when it's bone dry, not to mention the plant will start to get "soft" and flexible stems when it's thirsty.  THEN you give her what she wants and she will reward you with a burst of fresh growth.  I repeat this cycle over and over.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#378222 - 03/03/10 11:26 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Cool, thanks Inverted!

I'll remember that: good stradegy....you really know your plant growth. I'll be looking for that pH balancer kit: I'm guessing that stuff is not easy to find at a department store huh....Oh well, I'm this far in the hobby: can't back out now....

Good advice thou...I think that post deserves to be stickied, or put into a searchable "Growery Document". :thumbup:

You're gunna Kollect a lot of Digital Karma from....

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~ :smile2:

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#378225 - 03/03/10 11:30 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Do exactly as inverted has said and you wont be unhappy.

The PH up and down can be found a lot of places but the kit he mentioned is available at many hydro and finer gardening shops and has everything you need in a nice pack.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #378228 - 03/03/10 11:33 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Some people don't like this but I've been using it for years....

pH up- baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate)
pH down- Lemon juice or vinegar

just mix a little in with your next watering so that the water is at pH of 6 or so and that should do it. Let inverted double check me before you do that though, it's been a long time since I grew anything in dirt

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #378278 - 03/04/10 03:49 AM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Roger that...too bad its too basic. If it was too acidic, I got some baking soda (that I'm planning to use as CO2 supplement some time in the future)....

But I do have vineagar too! (for the same reason I mentioned). I'll wait till Inverted gets back to see what the recipie is, or if he even recomends putting it in the water....

Good idea thou. I guess Inverted is the soil expert, you must be the hydro expert huh Harry?

See ya Thrusday...
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#378298 - 03/04/10 07:17 AM (14 years, 27 days ago)

THC, I have had to do some ghetto PH adjusting myself let me share what I know about lowering with you.

First lesson I learned was adjust a little at a time. Secondly avoid feeding and adjusting at the same time, at 7.5 some nutrients are locked into the soil and you may have a little buildup, once the PH drops your plant will have it, if you add more it may be too much.

Now I have done some testing with different PH dirt and different amounts of vinegar, I use vinegar because you can get it anywhere and it's standard strength no matter what brand you get (as long as it's distilled white). One thing you need to know about PH is that the difference between 7 and 7.1 is not 1/10th it is 1 so a PH of 7.5 is 5 times more alkaline then 7. I have used 2 tsp per gallon on 7.2 PH and it lowered my PH to roughly 6.9, 3 tsp in a gallon lowered a PH of 7.1 to 6.5 (that was way to much at one time) and 1tsp to a gallon lowered a PH of 6.9 to 6.7.

From that I would say you would be safe using 2tsp/gallon and I would expect it to put you somewhere near 7.3 with one watering. I forgot to note that you won't put the whole gallon through your pot just water thoroughly as normal next time it is thirsty. Check it again after that right away to make sure everything is okay (you didn't drop too much) and then test a sample before the next watering to see where it's at. Just keep moving it slowly in the direction you want.

I am confident enough with doing this that now when I get over the 7.0 mark I just go ahead and toss a single tsp in my watering can and go to town. I don't have to do that often but my Thrive stuff raises the PH slowly

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #378312 - 03/04/10 08:12 AM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

TrueHerbCrystal said:
Roger that...too bad its too basic. If it was too acidic, I got some baking soda (that I'm planning to use as CO2 supplement some time in the future)....

But I do have vineagar too! (for the same reason I mentioned). I'll wait till Inverted gets back to see what the recipie is, or if he even recomends putting it in the water....

Good idea thou. I guess Inverted is the soil expert, you must be the hydro expert huh Harry?

See ya Thrusday...
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

I consider myself a bit of a soil expert when it's vegetables in my garden outdoors, but I've only done 2 indoor soil grows and they were both some years ago (my first and second grow ever as a matter of fact :wink:), So I'd trust inverteds soil advice over my own for MJ cultivation

As Pha3ro said, be very careful adjusting the pH and go slowly. I usually only use about 1/2 a capful to lower it from 7 to about 6 or 6.5. The most important part is that you need to let it sit for about half an hour to an hour so that the vinegar can react with the H+ ions in your solution and neutralize them. When you dump in the vinegar you'll see a little change immediately, but you're going to want to wait about an hour so that the reaction is complete so you don't wreak havoc on the chemistry of your soil.

I hope that made some sense, I just woke up and had to pause about 10 times in that sentence to try and remember what I was saying :lol:

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #378504 - 03/04/10 04:27 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Now I'm kinda scared to adjust the pH....because if I go too acidic towards "1", or not enough towards basic "14", I could kill my girl, right? But, if I do nothing, she'll die anyway?

Tough call...I guess I got to do it *very* carefully like you said, half a cap full of distilled vineager per gallon water. Are all vineager bottle cap sizes the same? Mines about 1.25 inches wide (Ouside Diameter). Is that pretty standard size?

I think I'll wait til the next watering til I start playing with the vinegar...it all sounds like a delicate game of "Goldilocks" to me...

I'll just have to wait and see....

Damned if I Do, Damned if I Don't :strokebeard:
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
    #378711 - 03/05/10 01:58 AM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Do you have anything to measure the pH of your water?  You do need to adjust the pH gradually to prevent a major growth stunt.  I wouldn't give subsequent waterings with water more than .2 pH difference.

I thought using vinegar as a pH amendment was inefficient because it was so quickly biodegradable that the pH wouldn't stay constant for more than a couple days.  I don't know if that is true though. 

Either way you are probably not going to kill the plant.  Cannabis will grow despite pH problems, it will just stunt the growth.

Offlinedstark

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: dutc2006]
    #378722 - 03/05/10 07:06 AM (14 years, 26 days ago)

You can take about a gallon of water, make it the pH that is needed (you have pH measuring device right?!) and just wash the soil, i think a gallon would be enough. Just wait until the soil dries out before doing this.

Offlinedstark

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: dstark]
    #380521 - 03/08/10 09:58 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Any up-to-dates?

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#380548 - 03/08/10 10:36 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Well, I'm back!

Its been awhile since my last entry...and man has she grown!

*** Journal - Young Plant Update: Explosive Growth on Top Canopy! ***

Here's on Tuesday...

Today's Date: March 6, 2010. Saturday
Day 31

And here's today, taken a few hours ago...

Today's Date: March 8, 2010. Monday.
Day 33

^Look at the difference in those 2 days! And I think I know why. That night on Saturday, I checked the soil, it was nearly completely dry. So, totally soaked it with the usual 2 dropper per gallon mixture of liquid Schultz fertilizer then a light watering with plain bottle water until water was coming out the bottom during the night hours (after 10:30pm). I usually just give it a light water because of what happened that one time when my plant's leaves and stems was drooping down (a common symptom of over-watering), but this time, I thought "I got to water like Inverted and Harry told me, its better for the plant. It won't be over-watering". And they were right, ExPlOsIvE GrOwTh! Whoa....

Besides the great shape my plant is in, I also did some improvements to my lighting structure, specifically the bulb holder.

>>> Construction Change: Improvement on Bulb-Holders <<<<

Previously, I had just some Gorilla Duct Tape holding the bulbs on, which worked, but looked pretty ugly. I wanted to put something that would hold it down tight. I also had an Idea of hanging the bulbs upside-down, but I scrapped that idea because I like this design better (light is more focused).

I also had an idea for a ball-in-cup design (often used for the swing-arm on truck suspensions) and attach the bulb onto that, so I could make it swivel and movable, but Homey D. had no such part...:sad:

So, here's what I did instead....

Here's the supplies I used:

^The main supply is the black rubber tie-down strap on the left. It was only a dollar each! What a deal. Thanks Homie D. :laugh:

So, the first thing I did was cut off the metal ends with my new tin snips (which work great! :thumbup:)

Next, I pulled some tape for some measurements, drilled some small pilot holes into the wood for the 1" drywall screws, then screwed in the rubber straps in the middle and around the 2 bulbs (on each side). Like so....

Man, those rubber straps make such a difference: they really hold on those bulbs nice and tight! Yes! Now it looks and functions professionally.

Here's a wide view of all the upgrades I've made to the lighting structure, which I call "The Oregon Wood Wagon" because of its uncanny apperance to me (and I live in Oregon).

Overall, it was an easy addition. If I were to hang these bulbs horizontally, I would use the same part: The rubber is so sticky!

And that's it for the construction part.

Girl is growing up so fast....
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (03/09/10 12:33 AM)

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #380632 - 03/09/10 05:18 AM (14 years, 22 days ago)

That light looks awesome. Ghetto as shit, but cool as hell. :rockon:

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Offlinedstark

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #380649 - 03/09/10 07:56 AM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Agree with GreenThumb!
Very soon you will need to switch to stronger lights, any plans? You better start planning mow with that fast growing :smile:

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #380707 - 03/09/10 12:08 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Hey, wait a minute "ghetto"? That ghetto contraption cost $70. And it wasn't made from garbage: it was made from all brand-new parts. You sir have never seen ghetto.

But thanks for calling it cool, I guess.

To dstark:

So, do you think I need more lights now? I was just going to add 2 more 27watt CFL's onto the sides of my wooden wagon, to a total of 159 watts { (26watts x 3) + (27watts x 3) }. That's enough for a small plant right?

I wonder how much Harry used for his grows....

Gotta go Research...
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #380709 - 03/09/10 12:19 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

I was at about 250W for a 2x2 space with 2 plants. if you can get some side lighting going you'll be perfectly fine with 156W, but more is pretty much always better.

Btw, looking very nice now. I think she's finally happy :grin:

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#380712 - 03/09/10 12:49 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Wow, 250 watts! That must of been a lot of bulbs! Or maybe you just used the bigger kind, like those massive 42 watters or even those even Giant 100 watters..........

I think I'll be adding some onto the bottom of the wooden frame, to get some side lighting. It will be closer (vertically) but it will be off center (farther horizontally), so heat won't be so much as an issue.

So at what height/size should I add on more bulbs?

So, I'll start planning on adding some soon, but not yet...

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds