Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Bokashi!
    #329434 - 12/10/09 05:10 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I did a quick search and realized there was nothing about bokashi on this site, so I thought I'd spread the word.

Bokashi is a method of composting that uses fermentation to break down kitchen waste, instead of rot: Lactobacillus (an anaerobic bacteria), possibly along with some other anaerobic decomposers, ferments your organic waste in an anaerobic (oxygen-free) environment.

Why this might be more useful to some of you than traditional composting methods:
-has a relatively low odor, and is usually sealed anyway, so is good for apartments that don't have a lot of room for a compost pile, but want organic garden supplements for cheap
-cuts composting time (sources I've come across say "by 50%," but I'm unsure)--regardless, after anaerobic fermentation for a couple of weeks, organic waste can be added to traditional compost piles, vermicompost, or even straight to the garden, where it quickly breaks down into material usable by plants
-perhaps one of the most important factors (for me, anyway), is that anaerobic fermentation allows for the use of kitchen waste that may have otherwise been thrown away: raw or cooked meat (and other stuff high in protein [not sure about bone...]), citrus, garlic, etc.
-can be scaled to whatever size you'd like to suit your living quarters

There are a lot of expensive bokashi kits on the internet. There are thankfully also a lot of DIY guides on how to make your own bucket system and stuff like that, as well as how to capture your own Lactobacillus out of the air (bottom of this page), so that's nice.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom