Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekydub

Just got some seedlings
    #30409 - 05/15/08 01:13 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

A friend of mine just gave me some seedlings to try my hand at growing. His suggestion was that I get them in some soil immediately - so I mixed this up:

3 parts coir
3 parts castings
3 parts verm
1 part diamateous earth
dash of kelp meal

Mixed everything well dry, then hydrated to field capacity. I'll be using a 23w CFL to light them for now.

This happened much faster than I was expecting - I've just barely started researching my next steps. Is there anything blatantly wrong I've done so far? Any suggestions for moving forward?

--------------------
81423 17 1f j00 5934k 1337.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: kydub]
    #30520 - 05/15/08 06:38 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

How long had they been out of soil before you put them in there? They don't look very healthy. It looks like they have been lacking enough light for quite awhile. It looks like they kept growing to find light and now they can't support themselves because the stems are too thin. As far as revitalizing them goes, I don't have much experience personally but I'd definitely say get them plenty of light and make sure they get the water they need, nutrients as well if its time for that. I couldn't go as far as to say that they are fucked since I couldn't really know but I would tend to think that they will have problems with stems like that. :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinekydub

Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: Sirius]
    #30576 - 05/15/08 09:12 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, not surprised on the stems. He was using some blue LED panels for vegetative growth and the light wasn't penetrating down enough. As for soil they were never in it, they were in little green cubes of something.

--------------------

Edited by kydub (05/15/08 09:13 AM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #30594 - 05/15/08 11:23 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

oh shit, and you took them out of the rockwool cubes? That definitely could have killed them.

Assuming they still have roots attached you need to get them some good airflow and lighting immediately. Give them some water with a drop of superthrive (if you can find it near you)and extremely light nutrients and hope for the best. Good luck!

--------------------

OfflinePipesmoker Elf
Super Coyote
Female

#30621 - 05/15/08 12:16 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I am intrigued by the method that you used to get them out of the rocwkool cubes... :strokebeard:

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: Pipesmoker Elf]
    #30635 - 05/15/08 12:52 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I don't believe it was ever written that they were taken out of the rockwool...

but did you take them out of the rockwool?? :shocked: Or just plant the whole thing into the soil?

Removing the cube could have severely damaged the fragile, young root structure.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: Yrat]
    #30665 - 05/15/08 01:30 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I didn't think it was what he meant, but I guess its a possibility. :lol:

I just think they didn't get nearly enough light and s-t-r-e-c-h-e-d out in search of it. Assuming that it is possible to revive them, it might be worthwhile to try taking some rooting gel and applying it to the stem. I couldn't guarantee that it would work, but I was reading about a guy's experiments with applying it on rooted plants and it was making the stems thicker. :lol:

Like I said, just a crazy thought. :nut:

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #30669 - 05/15/08 01:31 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kydub said:
As for soil they were never in it, they were in little green cubes of something.

It's that were that makes me think he removed them. I could be wrong though... I hope I'm wrong.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #30673 - 05/15/08 01:34 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I think its just carrying over the tense from "they were never in it", but I guess its a standing mystery for now. :sherlock:

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#30674 - 05/15/08 01:35 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i would definitely try to bury the stems up to the cotyledons (first pair of leaf-looking things). then, get a juice-box straw and cut it to match the length of stem between the soil and first leaves. slit it down the side, open it up, and wrap the stem up inside to support the plant and get those leaves facing some real light. it looks like someone put those in the dark under their bed.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

Offlinekydub

#30764 - 05/15/08 03:20 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
I think its just carrying over the tense from "they were never in it", but I guess its a standing mystery for now. :sherlock:

Right,  definitely could've worded that better.  All I did was plant the entire cube (figured doing anything but would be bloody dumb) in the mix I posted above - they're probably about 1/2" or so deep.  Didn't want to go too far.

Quote:

Yrat said:
i would definitely try to bury the stems up to the cotyledons (first pair of leaf-looking things).  then, get a juice-box straw and cut it to match the length of stem between the soil and first leaves.  slit it down the side, open it up, and wrap the stem up inside to support the plant and get those leaves facing some real light.  it looks like someone put those in the dark under their bed.

Thank you!  I'll definitely drop them lower then - like I said above,  didn't think I should go too deep.

The terrarium they were in was about 10" tall or so,  I believe,  and the LED panel only has 6" of effective light reach,  as it was explained to me.

Is it even worth continuing with these?  Honestly I was hoping to learn what I could with the mistakes so I wouldn't fuck up the clones that were going to be purchased in the future - but not if they're toast. =/

--------------------

Edited by kydub (05/15/08 03:23 PM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #30769 - 05/15/08 03:38 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Look, to be honest, no.  I would toss those bitches and start again.  You won't have lost much time, and if you can start your plants off healthy and right you'll be in a much better place.

FYI- Fuck the LED's.  Seriously.  I know there's a lot of hype surrounding them but if this is your first go around start off with the basics!!  Fluorescent lighting is cheap, easy to find, and costs almost nothing to run.  They're perfect for vegging plants and starting seeds/clones.  From there move on to your HID of choice for more veg or flowering and you'll get yourself some smokable herb at the end.

As far as your soil mixture is concerned, it's technically a soiless mix (except you added a bit of guano).  So, besides the little bit of N you added in for your plants, you're going to need to be watering them with nutrients almost every feeding.  If this is the method you wish to go with i'd take a look at hanky's thread in the indoor subforum (right above this forum) and read how he does it.  It's the same thing (except you use a slightly different medium) so that will give you a better idea of how to take care of your babies.  The DE may have been a little overkill, i know you want to try and balance your PH, but too basic is no good for plants either.

Otherwise you'll need to read up on how to properly amend your soil with nutrients so that the plants will have what they need for the most part (with you giving them some extra now and then).

If you want to try and save them, do as the others said, bury the stem some more and give them more light.  Have a small fan blowing gently over the tops of the seedlings to help build up some more strength in the stem.  Then cross your fingers and pray. :laugh:

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinekydub

Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: coda]
    #30785 - 05/15/08 03:56 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Heh. I should probably explain where I'm coming from - I hopped over here from Shroomery - so everything I have and know right now is based around that. The mix I whipped up I assumed was ridiculously overkill - and unfortunately I wasn't planning on starting this for another month at /least/, 'cause right now I know jack shit.

LEDs - I wasn't going to use them, my buddy currently is. I was planning on hitting homedepot for a 150w CFL and reflector.

The DE was for moisture retention only, I wasn't even thinking about ph. Aaaah, a whole new body of knowledge to absorb. I wasn't planning on spending alot of time making sure everything was carefully calibrated - I just don't it available at the moment. I'll read Hanky's thread for the info, thanks.

I'll give saving them a go for now if it's still possible - I figure all the pitfalls and stumbles along the way'll make the next time that much better. Same thing happened with my shroomies.

Thanks for the advice! ...Damn, I can't do ratings for awhile apparently. =/

Edited by kydub (05/15/08 03:58 PM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #31005 - 05/15/08 06:32 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

LOL, shit, my fault, i can thank my early morning bowl for that. Confused DE with Dolomitic Lime in my head.

I don't really hear about DE being used too much in cannabis cultivation, except as a pest control measure, but you should be ok. I would probably stick to verm for water retention and perlite or hydroton for drainage in the future.

When growing in a true soil medium PH is not as important as other things. However when problems arise in a soil grow it's always a good idea to check the run off and see what the suffering plants soil's PH is at. It's always a good idea to PH your water and your nutrient solution to double check and make sure you don't have to adjust for something too high or too low.

If you're growing the hydro route PH becomes a bit more important. A decent meter or testing kit and a watchful eye will be all you need though.

Good luck with those seedlings, when you go to re-transplant them be as gentle as you can. Any additional shock right now is just going to make things worse.

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#31129 - 05/15/08 08:17 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Think I'm gonna be sticking to soil here, for now - I want some buffer to my fuckups, personally. Hydro seems a little expensive to get it to the low maintenance point that I'm looking for.

Just picked up some pots, and I'm going to search around online for some DIY soils that I can mix up with the ridiculous amount of stuff around this house. Post some pics in a bit.

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#31240 - 05/15/08 10:08 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

bv in #growery gave me this advice:

Quote:

bv said:
20:27… bv: id recommend getting some blood meal or bat guano thats high in nitrogen
20:28… bv: mix with some lime, perlite, and some good soil
20:28… bv: best way to go
20:28… bv: imo
20:28… bv: simple
20:28… bv: good mix

Any opinions here ('specially on what he meant by 'good soil')?

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybinMike
T.F.Y.Q.A
Male User Gallery

#31305 - 05/15/08 11:48 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Strain(s)? Bagseed?

--------------------

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVZBTAYm3rw

Offlinekydub

Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: PsilocybinMike]
    #31333 - 05/16/08 12:13 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Sage & Sour is the strain for all of them. The seeds came from a bag from one of the local dispensaries, if that makes a difference.

For soil several people've recommended Happy Frog® Potting Soil so I'm just going to leave it in the above soilless mix they're in now and carefully transplant into new, bigger pots instead of cans/jars tomorrow.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: PsilocybinMike]
    #31336 - 05/16/08 12:15 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Any opinions here ('specially on what he meant by 'good soil')?

anything light and fluffy will do the trick really. Blood meal is good for N, but, you're going to have to add in something for P+K as well otherwise you'll have an imbalance. That soil would work fine for vegging, but your plants would suffer during flowering.

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#31982 - 05/16/08 09:38 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Alrighty! I bought some Happy Frog Potting Soil and replanted in little pots... the girls didn't do too good in the heat today, and the soilless mix I had them in was pretty dry. =( Not good. They don't look very healthy right now.

But I've got 'em set as well as I can right now, upright, gently packed the soil then watered it through and let it drain. There's a ceiling fan running in my room right now that's gently agitating them...

...what else can I do? (Still going to get juice straws for real support, zip ties were all I had around. =/)

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #31985 - 05/16/08 09:43 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

well, uh, you obviously didn't listen to the advice to bury the stems.....

Get a fan on them and strengthen the stems. Give them plain water and plenty of light. Cross your fingers. Then pray.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #32236 - 05/17/08 05:47 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

If you aren't going to bury those stems, then for the hell of it, try applying cloning gel up and down them. I've seen some pictures where someone did this and the stem swelled up three times more than the one it wasn't applied to. Might as well try it out. :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinehightimes
Male

Loc: aussie land
    #32239 - 05/17/08 07:24 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

HOLLY SHIT DUDE
there the most stretched out seedlings i have even seen !:eek:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: hightimes]
    #32347 - 05/17/08 01:42 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

yah, it's pretty bad, i think i saw a post where jadian tied some stretchy seedlings stems into a knot to help deal with the stretch. i'll have to see if i can find it, i hope i just didn't dream that up lol.

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#32408 - 05/17/08 03:17 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

They're buried. I should've gone for bigger pots - but there's no way to bury them anymore. I'll drop by the hydro store and try some cloning gel for the helluva it.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #32414 - 05/17/08 03:27 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kydub said:
I'll drop by the hydro store and try some cloning gel for the helluva it.

Ha! :smile: Let us know how that turns out. If you want to, leave one or two without it to see the difference. I'm most interested to see if it works for you.

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#32415 - 05/17/08 03:28 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Will do. At this point, is it worth getting larger pots and doing this all over again?

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #32491 - 05/17/08 05:20 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think it could hurt much to put them in larger pots again, if it means getting those stems further underneath the soil. It'd probably be necessary to put them in a bigger pot later on anyways assuming they turn out all right. :wink:

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#32639 - 05/17/08 08:02 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Picked up some larger pots, and 3 more 43w CFLs. I'm going to plug these outlet->light things into a powerstrip and hang all 4 bulbs right above them. I'm hoping a total of 172w from the CFLs should help too.

Edited by kydub (05/17/08 08:28 PM)

Offlinehightimes
Male

#32987 - 05/18/08 03:56 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Hope thay turn good for you :tongue2:
id just like to ask a question instead of starting a new thread, I got a fluro globe & fixture from the hydro store for $30 can i use the fluro globes from hardwares ?

I know it's a noob question but i never really used them sorry for going off topic!! :confused:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #33063 - 05/18/08 12:37 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

fluro globe

Globe? You mean the actual light bulb? You can pick the twisty kind like kydub has at hardware stores and major retailers, sure. But the grow oriented CFL's that look like this:

can only be found in specialty shops (and RVF carries them as well).

kydub- see the height of the seedling in the middle? That's the height you're aiming for. I'm doing some research on this now, but, it may be possible to actually push the stem down into the soil gently. IIRC the stem once below the soil for a week or so will being to grow roots and you'll have reduced the size of the seedlings to a manageable level.

--------------------

Edited by coda (05/18/08 12:38 PM)

Offlinekydub

#33082 - 05/18/08 01:00 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

That's what I've been looking for! (the lamp pic you posted)

I'm assuming the one in the middle is the one up front that's short and has some nice leaves forming... I'll look around myself as well for more ways to reduce the stem length without harming the plant.

Thanks again for the advice in here guys, I realize I'm starting out at square -4 with these things - but definitely learning alot trying to keep them alive with your help. Hopefully when I get my OG Kush clones I'll have a decent idea of what I'm doing. =)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #33093 - 05/18/08 01:12 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

better to practice on something you don't care about, that way if you fuck up it won't hurt as bad and you'll be more prepared for when you get the genetics you want.

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=901889

there ya go man.

--------------------

Offlinehightimes
Male

#33133 - 05/18/08 02:09 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

ahahah yeah I meant the light bulb
do the ones from the hardwares make a difference then the ones ya pick up growing ?:grin:

Offlinekydub

#33134 - 05/18/08 02:09 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Excellent. Thanks for the link. I just ordered two of them with reflectors. Goddamn, this is an expensive hobby. I went /all out/ with my mush cultivation and dropped about 1200-1500 into the setup - I can tell I'm going to drop 1200 just to have a little thing going with this.

Looks like I'll be getting some clones today. =)

Offlinehightimes
Male

#33144 - 05/18/08 02:24 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kydub said: Goddamn,  this is an expensive hobby. 

yes yes it is Lol i end up buying some thing new every week
good luck with the clones!:thumbup:

Offlinekydub

#33146 - 05/18/08 02:39 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Oh, and btw, hightimes, from my understanding the ones from the store aren't anywhere near as powerful - but they'll do the trick for seedlings/small vegetative.

That's why I'm running the 170+w across 4 bulbs right now just to get these things going.

They seem to be doing better anyways once I put them in soil.

Offlinehightimes
Male

#33150 - 05/18/08 02:50 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

hey thanks for that :tongue2:
if i need more ill prob just fork out the $30 at the hydro store

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #33162 - 05/18/08 03:47 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i don't see why bulbs bought at a hydro store are any more powerful then bulbs bought at a chain retailer (unless they're that special type i posted earlier). I will say the highest i was able to find was 42 watts, so if anything, the hydro bulbs are just a tiny bit stronger. However i bet they cost at least twice as much.

Quote:

I can tell I'm going to drop 1200 just to have a little thing going with this

tip of the iceberg too, i've dropped at least 5k on my setup over the years.

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#33302 - 05/18/08 09:29 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Should've been more clear I guess - I meant more that you aren't going to find anything past 43w or so unless you go to a hydro store. So instead of getting a single 150w - I went with 4 43w bulbs to hopefully achieve the same.

Offlinekydub

#33898 - 05/19/08 01:48 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

New setup for now - stuck 'em in a rubbermaid container and flipped the powerstrip over to get the light right next to 'em. I also ran a rube out of my ultrasonic and tee'd it off to get some extra humidity in there.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #33903 - 05/19/08 01:52 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I'm hoping they rebound for you. Have you tried the cloning gel on the stems yet? :hehehe:Just apply that stuff all over the stems, up and down and everywhere, but leave one without to see the difference.

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#33910 - 05/19/08 01:58 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

No cloning gel yet. Went to a hydro store and asked about using them for stem improvement (he gave me one of those you-fucking-idiot looks) and then the only stuff I could find was $35.

Sold some gear from old hobbies off though - so I'm going to give it a whirl this evening.

They look a little happier though...

...one question I have, however, is that the leaves (the ones that were healthy) are starting to brown a bit at the tips and turn downwards.

I thought this was a sign of light deficiency, so I bumped up the CFL wattage from 43 to 172 (4x 43w) and it hasn't seemed to change much.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#33929 - 05/19/08 02:19 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

to be honest that humidity looks like a bit much to me. that would be perfect if they were mushrooms...

you should be more concerned about fresh air, such as from a fan, than your ultrasonic

--------------------

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

Offlinekydub

#33961 - 05/19/08 02:51 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

There's an enourmous box fan you aren't seeing that sounds like a small jet engine sucking air in from outside and blasting it through the room. Originally I turned my coolmist/ultrasonics on just to help with the heat - helped /alot/. I ended up running the tube with the T in the rubbermaid just for shits 'n giggles and then decided to leave it since it keeps the RH in there at about 55-60 with the fan on.

I turned the fan off for the picture 'cause otherwise you couldn't see any mist.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#33963 - 05/19/08 02:52 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

gotcha

otherwise is was going to say you might run into rot/mold problems

--------------------

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: Yrat]
    #33972 - 05/19/08 03:01 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

are starting to brown a bit at the tips and turn downwards.

Brown tips on new growth generally points to an overfeeding. If you stuck those seedlings in a really rich soil, like ocean forest, there's a good chance that they're getting too much food right now and are burning.

Edit- looking back at your soil mix i would say it's either the castings (too much) or the DE that's causing the problems.

--------------------

Edited by coda (05/19/08 03:06 PM)

Offlinekydub

#33982 - 05/19/08 03:11 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

coda - the soil in the pictures is Happy Frog Potting Soil, so it's probably too rich. Could I cut it down using perlite or vermiculite? A 70/30 soil/inert agent mix perhaps?

Also, buddy's outdoor Pineapple is going nicely - I'm going to get some cloning gel and root dip stuff on the way home and take a couple cuttings from his little beauty. I'll try the gel trick on 3-4 of the seedlings I've got and see what happens.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #34029 - 05/19/08 04:51 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kydub said:
Also,  buddy's outdoor Pineapple is going nicely - I'm going to get some cloning gel and root dip stuff on the way home and take a couple cuttings from his little beauty.  I'll try the gel trick on 3-4 of the seedlings I've got and see what happens.

That sounds cool, Pineapple! Now I don't feel so bad about paying that much for the stuff just for an experiment. :grin:

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#34149 - 05/19/08 07:18 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

The fun is all in the experiment. =)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #34183 - 05/19/08 07:37 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

coda - the soil in the pictures is Happy Frog Potting Soil, so it's probably too rich. Could I cut it down using perlite or vermiculite? A 70/30 soil/inert agent mix perhaps?

In the future, yah, not much you can do about it now unless you want to disturb the root system. Just keep giving them plain water until they tell you they need nutes. Seedlings are very sensitive, and while you can get them to rebound, too much stress will just flat out kill them.

Just keep an eye on them, they should be ok, it's possible they're just struggling a bit with all they've been through.

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#34561 - 05/19/08 11:01 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Got some OG Kush clones today - and some Pineapple cuttings. Unfortunately the Pineapple was flowering - so I tried to use the very top for cloning. Just finished potting, cloning... setting up terrarium... so no pics, but I did take one...

Oh, and Sirius, I threw some cloning gel on two of the seedlings - the other two I'm keeping I left, and the last two I don't care about anymore went outside to fend for themselves.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #34650 - 05/19/08 11:53 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

is it me, or does that bunny have a crazed look in the eye.....must be the reefer madness i've been hearing about.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #34698 - 05/20/08 03:35 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kydub said:
Oh, and Sirius,  I threw some cloning gel on two of the seedlings - the other two I'm keeping I left,  and the last two I don't care about anymore went outside to fend for themselves.

How did you apply it? Smear it all over the stems on all sides, up and down? :smile:

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#34785 - 05/20/08 11:07 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
Quote:

kydub said:
Oh, and Sirius,  I threw some cloning gel on two of the seedlings - the other two I'm keeping I left,  and the last two I don't care about anymore went outside to fend for themselves.

How did you apply it? Smear it all over the stems on all sides, up and down? :smile:

Yup.  We'll see how it's doing when I get home today.

Offlinehightimes
Male

#35799 - 05/21/08 01:29 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

cool hope it works out for ya man! :thumbup:

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
    #35861 - 05/21/08 02:50 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
Quote:

kydub said:

what does this help achieve?

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #35865 - 05/21/08 03:05 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

It might not achieve anything; however, I've seen someone who had applied it to the lower stem of a plant and the stem swelled to three times its size. Since these ones are very thin and long and they are risking dying anyways, and there is nothing to really lose in trying it, it seems perfect for some experimentation to see if it will work.

Of course, all of that has already been said in this thread. :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
    #36557 - 05/22/08 12:13 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
It might not achieve anything; however, I've seen someone who had applied it to the lower stem of a plant and the stem swelled to three times its size. Since these ones are very thin and long and they are risking dying anyways, and there is nothing to really lose in trying it, it seems perfect for some experimentation to see if it will work.

Of course, all of that has already been said in this thread. :wink:

Ahh ok. i thought u were trying to get some aerial roots going with higher nodes.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

Offlinekydub

Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #36801 - 05/22/08 02:11 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Welp, for the cloning gel I can't say I've really seen any difference as of yet, except one of the stems seems a bit brown and barky. I'm not sure if this is because it's just dying (the leaves are green and healty looking) but it isn't happening to the ones I didn't smear the gel on.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #36844 - 05/22/08 04:12 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

this isn't something that happens overnight, or even after two days, it'll probably take a week or so before you notice anything significant. If you kept control plants (plants with no gel on them) compare them to the ones you gelled and see if there's a noticeable difference.

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#36980 - 05/22/08 07:37 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I did keep controls - two of the four are gel'd, the other two are the same. I'm heading to Lightning in a Bottle tonight so I'm watering before I leave and I'll see where they're at Monday evening.

Heh. They'll finally get 24 hour light for once, since I won't have to turn 'em off to go to sleep.

Offlinekydub

#45037 - 06/01/08 04:40 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Been a bit busy lately - but this is what they've been setup with now.

--------------------

Offlinehightimes
Male

#45326 - 06/01/08 05:17 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hey thay look like thay have picked up good work :thumbup:

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #45595 - 06/01/08 05:51 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Are the plants in front your new clones? What ever happened with the cloning gel, any significant difference?

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#47951 - 06/01/08 02:56 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

The one in the very front is a clone - the other clone unfortunately took the brunt of a jury-rigged fan falling out of it's holder and crushing the poor girl. =(

The two behind it are all that's left of the original seedlings - and unfortunately these are the two that did not receive any cloning gel. To be honest - from what I saw before I took the others out there didn't seem to be much of a difference. I have the gel now though so I'll try it again in the future.

In the very back where the light tilts down are two Bubba Kush seedlings and two bagseed seedlings.

I just started using FoxFarm "Grow Big" liquid nutes in my waterings, and will be adding "Big Bloom" as well (just following their little schedule sheet) and I'm going to start building a flowering CFL box to try sticking one of these in and seeing what happens.. they've been vegging for almost four weeks now, I believe.

--------------------

Offlinehightimes
Male

#48021 - 06/01/08 04:01 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

kydub said:
The one in the very front is a clone - the other clone unfortunately took the brunt of a jury-rigged fan falling out of it's holder and crushing the poor girl. =(

Damn thats harsh may she RIP lol :sad:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #48073 - 06/01/08 04:54 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I just started using FoxFarm "Grow Big" liquid nutes in my waterings, and will be adding "Big Bloom" as well (just following their little schedule sheet)

while fox farms feeding schedule is great as a guide, i wouldn't follow it word for word. You're more likely to over fert and hurt your grow following that schedule.

Remember when feeding your plants, at least until you know the strain, always start off light. Feed them at most 1/4 strength the first time, wait at least two waterings, and see how they're doing. Like with watering your plants it's always best to undershoot then over shoot. It's a lot easier to add more then it is to take away some.

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#48076 - 06/01/08 05:07 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Quote:

I just started using FoxFarm "Grow Big" liquid nutes in my waterings, and will be adding "Big Bloom" as well (just following their little schedule sheet)

while fox farms feeding schedule is great as a guide, i wouldn't follow it word for word. You're more likely to over fert and hurt your grow following that schedule.

Remember when feeding your plants, at least until you know the strain, always start off light. Feed them at most 1/4 strength the first time, wait at least two waterings, and see how they're doing. Like with watering your plants it's always best to undershoot then over shoot. It's a lot easier to add more then it is to take away some.

Good advice... I'll cut back then. Fortunately I've only done it once so far and they seem to be holding up alright, but better safe than sorry.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #48077 - 06/01/08 05:15 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

kydub said:

Jesus Christ, what a way to go. :eek:

Quote:

The two behind it are all that's left of the original seedlings - and unfortunately these are the two that did not receive any cloning gel.  To be honest - from what I saw before I took the others out there didn't seem to be much of a difference.  I have the gel now though so I'll try it again in the future.

Yeah, it was just an idea since someone had mentioned it elsewhere, but to be honest as well, it doesn't look like those seedlings have seen much of a difference to begin with. They look the same! :hehehe:

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#48291 - 06/01/08 08:23 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
Yeah, it was just an idea since someone had mentioned it elsewhere, but to be honest as well, it doesn't look like those seedlings have seen much of a difference to begin with. They look the same! :hehehe:

Here's some better shots,  they look much better than they did,  I have to say.

Sage & Sour seedlings (two left of the six)

Added the OG Kush clone in for comparison (the foremost seedling is as tall,  although not as bushy as the OG Kush)

And lastly the new seedlings I just stuck in soil:

On the seedlings the leaves are all pointing down so I raised the light a couple of inches or so thinking it was getting too hot (it was pretty damn close before).

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#52528 - 06/06/08 04:45 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Bit of an update.  Moving the larger ones into 3gal pots today and setting up the 400w MH to veg them better.

Thinking of moving the T5 setup on the top shelf of my closet,  hanging the 400w below,  and by the time I'm ready to flower I should have my 600w HPS + reflector, filter, exhaust fan, and ducting to run it up into the attic.

Any thoughts on any of this?

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just got some seedlings (moved) [Re: kydub]
    #52533 - 06/06/08 04:49 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

This thread was moved from Indoor Soil Cultivation.

Reason:
This is much more suited for the Grow Log forum. \"\"

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just got some seedlings (moved) [Re: Sirius]
    #52545 - 06/06/08 05:11 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Those are looking great. :thumbup: I'm sure they will love the MH. I definitely can't wait to see you get your 600 watt HPS + setup running, my friend will be running that as well and he is going insane waiting for that to order itself out. What will the dimensions be for your flowering space, and what's the cfm of your fan?

I was looking at your Sage and Sour clone on the right; couldn't decide if the leaves are droopy like that compared to the OG Kush simply due to a difference in genetics or if it was a little over-watered. If it is, it isn't much, and I honestly am not that capable of discerning as much, so I'm throwing it out there so someone with a better sense can comment (coda?).

I'm wondering if the bag-seed will ever decide to take off. :lol:

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#52547 - 06/06/08 05:20 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Heh.  Well,  the Sage and Sours are both from dispensary bag seed.  I really have no idea what they are - but those two plants are from the original shit I had in coke cans in my first post.  (Thanks for the move, by the way, I realized I'm just sorta dragging this out, heh)

The OG Kush is the only one that's a clone.

The four little pots are like, 3-4 days old I believe?  Maybe 5.  The two biggest are random bagseed, no idea what those are at all - the the two stunted ones supposedly are from a Bubba Kush dispensary bag.

For the HPS setup it's going on the side of the closet where the shirts are.. that's like a little over two feet deep and will be about five feet wide.  It's six feet up to the bottom of the shelf.  I'm thinking of making this spot the entire flowering area - using the T5s on the shelf directly above for the clones/seedling rooting area,  and to the left above the shelf hanging the 400w for vegging (my landlord will eventually hate me but I'll probably just cut open the ceiling drywall there to let the 400w exhaust right into the attic).

Edit:  I don't know on the CFM for the fan.  The fellow who's given me the best quote for a 600w HPS + reflector + electronic switchable 1000w ballast + air filter @ $420 nonetheless recommended a 6" vortex fan that moved 600cfm.  This seemed a little overkill and loud as fuck, I imagine.

Edited by kydub (06/06/08 05:21 PM)

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #52564 - 06/06/08 06:00 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

kydub said:
Heh.  Well,  the Sage and Sours are both from dispensary bag seed.  I really have no idea what they are - but those two plants are from the original shit I had in coke cans in my first post.  (Thanks for the move, by the way, I realized I'm just sorta dragging this out, heh)

The OG Kush is the only one that's a clone.

The four little pots are like, 3-4 days old I believe?  Maybe 5.  The two biggest are random bagseed, no idea what those are at all - the the two stunted ones supposedly are from a Bubba Kush dispensary bag.

Okay, I got it sorted out. :lol: In fact, I remember now that you already told me all that. :cuckoo:

They definitely turned around, looking healthy as hell. :thumbup: I've heard great things about the OG Kush clones too.

Quote:

For the HPS setup it's going on the side of the closet where the shirts are.. that's like a little over two feet deep and will be about five feet wide.  It's six feet up to the bottom of the shelf.

600 watts should be more than beautiful that much space, my friend will have about four feet by three feet, and I think the rule of thumb for 600 watts is 6X6. You should be looking at some great yields if everything else stays optimal. :yesnod:

Quote:

I'm thinking of making this spot the entire flowering area - using the T5s on the shelf directly above for the clones/seedling rooting area,  and to the left above the shelf hanging the 400w for vegging (my landlord will eventually hate me but I'll probably just cut open the ceiling drywall there to let the 400w exhaust right into the attic).

Ahh, drywall is easy to replace. :grin:

You should consider looking into a ceramic metal halide for that 400 watt ballast, if its the type of ballast that will work with one. :wink:

Quote:

Edit:  I don't know on the CFM for the fan.  The fellow who's given me the best quote for a 600w HPS + reflector + electronic switchable 1000w ballast + air filter @ $420 nonetheless recommended a 6" vortex fan that moved 600cfm.  This seemed a little overkill and loud as fuck, I imagine.

I'm not sure if he recommended a fan that size to help with heat (what type of reflector, by the way?), but if you were solely considering air exchange, it'll replace the air in your space ten times every minute, when you probably only need two to three times. I don't think this would really hurt though, and I'm sure would help with heat. :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinekydub

Re: Just got some seedlings (moved) [Re: Sirius]
    #54060 - 06/09/08 11:20 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
I'm not sure if he recommended a fan that size to help with heat (what type of reflector, by the way?), but if you were solely considering air exchange, it'll replace the air in your space ten times every minute, when you probably only need two to three times. I don't think this would really hurt though, and I'm sure would help with heat. :shrug:

This was recommended for pulling the air off the bulb - and it's one of those standard Sun System glassed in pyramidal reflectors with intake/exhaust holes on each side.  I'm wondering with that much movement if slapping an air filter on one side and a tube to the exhaust on the other still wouldn't provide good air exchange (through the reflector) still.

I'm also looking into a Homebox L for my light protected grow closet as the more I look at adequately cooling my current real closet the more irritated I get at the amount of bullshit I'll have to go through,  gah.  Ah well.

It's been a busy few days... my rabbit nom'd one of my clones,  rebuilt the closet,  did some LST on the rest...  I'll get some pics up tonight when I get home.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom