Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTomCollins

Re: HELP VETS!! [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #303913 - 10/26/09 02:31 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I think what people are looking for is a site with everything. People don't want to read a book then post on growery - people want to be able to read reasonably short guides then to be able to ask questions on the same site (hence, the idea of growery). It's comforting when everything is on one site.

The guide should be updated and expanded imo. All newbies wanting to start growing should be directed to it.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: HELP VETS!! [Re: TomCollins]
    #304141 - 10/26/09 06:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

^yeah, agreed.  What guide are you talking about?  I am not going to include anything that discourages people from growing cannabis.  Quite frankly, i don't think it's difficult to do the basics (once you know what they are) and have great results on your first try.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineTomCollins

Re: HELP VETS!! [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #304188 - 10/26/09 07:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

There's only one English cultivation guide put up in the Marijuana info part of the site. That's where a newbie will look first if not the forum. 

I'm surprised a lot of people haven't read it. I got slammed for the urine thing, when the only English cultivation guide listed under Marijuana info suggested it. There seems to be a lot missing too.

Here's a link to all the "Complete Guides"
http://www.growery.org/2978/Complete-Guides

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
    #304342 - 10/26/09 10:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Read much misinformation in guides as I research.  I can tell you one thing, reading something in a guide and accepting it as science is a lot different than reading something and investigating it to understand the science.  Someone writes a guide that is decent and has a lot of advice and information that the majority believe as truth or accept as fact and time passes...and none of us read that guide again...things change.

An example would be a guide that is very easy to find via google where the majority of what the author places on his site is quite accurate and useful, yet he would have you misting your plants throughout Veg period 2-3 times per day.  So how many noobs are out there misting the crap out of their first grows because his site is 95% accurate and top ranked in google.

I would assume that guide still contains the urine info as well.  Given so many pros reactions about using urine...you would think it should get edited out, or revised.

Anyhow, if the community is all contributing to an information source such as this, it can be updated, revised, edited, improved as an ongoing non stop project and be relevent, current and useful.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
Re: HELP VETS!! [Re: Azyle00]
    #304348 - 10/26/09 10:30 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That has me thinking...

What if rather than linking to everything, could it be feasible to try to just write a super-guide?

Furrowed could delegate chapters and/or topics to different members who regularly contribute anyway and/or might be their specialty...

Possible?

Might also be great marketing if it were so damn good people referenced it from all over the web.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Re: HELP VETS!! [Re: DudeTron]
    #304361 - 10/26/09 10:40 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Really what is needed is a marijauna FAQ that is well organized.  Not everyone wants to wade through a guide to find out specifics and not all the new growers ask simply "how do I grow", a lot ask those same specific questions over and over.  FAQ is easy to maintain and update and expand as the curator can often use answers we have typed to those questions in posts.

MJ FAQ would be a good addition here :smile:  And can still have lots of useful links to guides "Where do I find a good guide?" and then links as an answer.

--------------------

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Current Grow Journal

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
    #304365 - 10/26/09 10:44 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

This whole site is a giant Q&A.  Just search and you can find just about anything.  Why would we write a grow guide when  some excellent ones already exist.  I doubt we could do better than the pros.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Re: HELP VETS!! [Re: SmOakland]
    #304457 - 10/26/09 11:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Why would we grow pot when we can buy it?  Excellent weed already exists.  I doubt we could do better than the pros.

I think however, all your negative issues were already addressed throughout this thread.  So won't be reposting the same reasons over an over.

Still can't figure out why some seem to get so uptight and ancy about growers trying to help growers.  I mean, will it really bother you that much if this site had an excellent FAQ or a decent sticky linking information, guides and other information?

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

#304620 - 10/27/09 10:20 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The point of this thread was not to find some wat to not help newbies out.  The point was to find some way to answer the noob question, "I want to grow weed what should I do?" and stuff like that.  The growery is not here to answer simple questions that can be answered by a book, it is here to answer questions that are specific to the individual situation, or are too advanced to be in a grow guide and could only be answered by experienced growers.

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
    #304635 - 10/27/09 11:43 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

^^^^^^^^ +1 to that..

I think you're right on when you put it like that... Well said :thumbup:

So what we really need are more advanced growers around and people who don't mind helpin noobs out... Marketing?

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: HELP VETS!! [Re: DudeTron]
    #304667 - 10/27/09 01:07 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

81Ren started a marketing submission thread in the website enhancement forum.  Triptonic put together a cool ad for us as well.  But I like what Smokland said about the purpose of the site.  no one should be coming to the site and asking how to grow weed.  People just need to take personal responsibility to learn the information.  These cannabis forums are really here as a supplement.  I really appreciate all of your participation and ideas with this!

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #304674 - 10/27/09 01:16 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Ha ha yea about that add. I completely have been putting shit off for a while. I need to get the 2nd one done.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: HELP VETS!! [Re: Triptonic]
    #304687 - 10/27/09 01:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

it's ok.  I haven't done shit with it since my comp died.  Ren should make that again with some incentive for people to participate.  I've been putting quite a bit of shit off too.  the Cultivation Glossary for example.  I'd like to get that thing done so that we can link certain words in this kind of an overview thread to the definitions.  We all want this to be the top cannabis site on the net, right?

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
    #304690 - 10/27/09 01:28 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I've been putting quite a bit of shit off too

As have I.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Re: HELP VETS!! [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #304702 - 10/27/09 01:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Where would you put this add?

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#304758 - 10/27/09 03:28 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I like to research, participate and help.  I also am a big fan of science > theory.

If need any help, always ask me.  Otherwise I keep trying to learn and answer questions here.  Most of the time I am high.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #304838 - 10/27/09 06:28 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:
Where would you put this add?

I should have included a link.  We looked at a few options such as cannabis magazines, alternative newspapers (New Times in Phx), but the magazines seems prohibitively expensive.  It looks like we are just developing a card that can be made and distributed at concerts, dispensaries, festivals, etc.  Word of mouth is free and people love beautiful pictures of bud.  :lol:

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/286172/fpart/1

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineTomCollins

#304853 - 10/27/09 06:37 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I disagree Furrowedbrow, the simple fact is that although you and many other would really like this site to serve more as a supplement to educated growers, that simply is not reality. People who have no clue will come here regardless. So with that said, the problem will simply persist.

I'm not suggesting we have the best and most up to date guide on the net, but I'm sorry... when a site like this exists you will no doubt have newbies who know nothing wanting easy answers. This is normal human behavior; if one believe an answer already exists, why would one TRY to figure it out themselves. I can tell you right now, this site, in every way, markets itself to the newbie grower who wants smokeable pot in 3 days. "Marijuana Demystified," I mean let's really take a good look at what we want the site to be and what it actually looks like. The slogan itself makes it sound like the site caters to those that know nothing. Which in a way it should and it shouldn't.

But in any case, in my opinion the best way to answer a person seeking a non-existent easy answer is to meet them with an elaborate and complex response. Rather than telling people to do their own research we should accommodate them - however, the truth is in doing so we would weed out those who really have misunderstood the difficulty in cultivating marijuana.

This is just my opinion though.

--------------------
andyistic said:

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #304863 - 10/27/09 06:54 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

All good points man.  I hadn't even thought of the marijuana demystified.  I still personally feel the active conversations should be supplemental to the content of the main site (that's what i meant in the post you reference above).  And, something interesting I remember, a while ago I had made the suggestion of using the word cannabis rather than marijuana in the forum index (main forum page).  Geo had some great input on it, which is very relavent to this discussion:

Quote:

geokills said:
We have had quite a few discussions about this during the period the site was being put online.  To be frank, marijuana has entered the popular lexicon to a degree that it is at least as if not more recognizable to the general public than the term cannabis.  Because of this, it behooves us to use the term marijuana in our descriptions as it will lead to greater proliferation through search engines, thereby allowing more people who are otherwise unfamiliar with the website and especially the practice of cultivating the cannabis plant, to find the Growery themselves for the first time.

After all, we are aiming for the Growery to become an informative website particularly for newbies in the same way that the Shroomery has become a reference website for people new to magic mushrooms.  "Magic Mushrooms" is likewise not as technically accurate as "Psilocybe and other psiloc(yb)in containing mushrooms" - but if we didn't tag the website with the more popular terminology, it would be more difficult for people to find as it wouldn't be coming up with top ranks for the most popular search terms on engines such as Google. 

Checking our statistics, it is clear that marijuana is the biggest lead from search engines, top of the list in fact; whereas the term "cannabis" is 6th in the running and garners 1 search query for every 5 queries that "marijuana" receives.

In light of 'cannabis' being an identifying term with greater history and acceptance in the scientific community specifically, I am using the term in the titles of the documents that I've created for the main site.  In this way, people can find the site through both terms, and be exposed directly to the more scientific term when they engage the subject matter in depth.

I think its a good compromise.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineTomCollins

#304883 - 10/27/09 07:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Oh I wasn't sure what you meant by in saying the site should serve more of a supplemental purpose. I understand now you were referring to the forum and I agree.

However, it seems this compromise Geokills made was to attract more people, not to attract the educated newbie/ experienced grower. So I guess the question now is, do you guys want this site to be "popular" or more of a small community of serious growers with serious questions for each other? I'm cool with either/or personally. :tongue:

Just so long as I can keep coming here. :smile:

--------------------
andyistic said:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract