Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineASEgrower
Stranger

Re: CFL's [Re: Magash]
    #281193 - 09/16/09 09:57 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Jeeze this is starting to become a joke. Never in my life have I seen a cfl grow that wouldn't have been over 75% better if the person used the same wattage of HID light. Compare a 250watt cfl and a 250watt HID. You could have used a 175watt Hid and still had almost double the light of the 250watt cfl and ran it for less money.

LED light. Yeah I do think this is the wave of the future but it's just a small ripple on the water right now, Put it this way, if this is gonna take over HID's why hasn't one of the major companies expressed a interest in them.

This is with 2000watts of HID light  I wanna see 2000watts of cfl's do that.
CFL's are for cuttings and seedlings. (To be honest I don't even suggest them for seedlings)

I see beautiful buds grown under cfl's and every time I think "he could have had 4oz for every one he grew for the same growing expense." I'm not even gonna get into the light penetration issues with the cfl lights.

OK, I have a 2x2 growspace in a closet.  Ventilation is extremely limited, heat will be a problem.  Thats why people use CFLs.  Would I like to use 2KW of HPS?  Yeah, but its not possible right now, nor affordable. 

You dont have to shit on peoples day, sometimes you cant always do the optimum thing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

#281197 - 09/16/09 10:17 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks magash, you just owned that question.

--------------------
All of the statements and posts I make or have made are fake. I just found all the pictures and copied and pasted them here. I am in no way associated with any of the materials discussed here. I'm just bored, and lame.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: CFL's [Re: Ero42oH2o]
    #281208 - 09/16/09 11:11 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

yes he did, because every person in the world can afford to use 2000W of HPS for their grow. :rolleyes:

--------------------

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: CFL's [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #281214 - 09/16/09 11:19 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

OK, I have a 2x2 growspace in a closet.  Ventilation is extremely limited, heat will be a problem.  Thats why people use CFLs.  Would I like to use 2KW of HPS?  Yeah, but its not possible right now, nor affordable. 

I agree

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: CFL's [Re: ASEgrower]
    #281232 - 09/16/09 11:50 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Well duh, What you do is get the right Wattage light for the space. You can't be so stupid to think I meant a 1000 in a small space. For any space there is a HID that can fit it and do the job way better. I'm sorry you cfl guys get so butthurt but do a little research. 250watts of cfl light is hotter then 250 of HID cause less of the energy is being made into light, What that means is a 150watt HID would have done the job better then the 250watt cfl.

You have to stop locking in on the wattages. 200watts of cfl may work for a space but when thinking of HIDs you have to erase that 200wattage thing. A 100watt or acutally less then that will put out more light then the cfl and have batter penitration to the bottoms of the plants.

You can buy a complete 150watt HID system for 80 bucks. The 200watt cfl bulb alone is more then 60 bucks.

Now I'm not trying to rain on anybodys parade but arn't I suppose to point out better ways of doing things I kind of thought that is why we are here. Want to pay more for lesser results be my guests. To somebody just starting, crack open a book and look up the different bulbs or go to the hydro store and they will (or should) be more then happy to fire up some lights for ya and you can see for yourself before making the decision.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
    #281259 - 09/16/09 12:34 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

yeah, I could see if your really tight on cash using a couple cfls to get the job done but if your using or planning on using a few hundred watts in cfls then just go with a low wattage HID instead.....

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Edited by Dr. Siekadellyk (09/16/09 12:34 PM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: CFL's [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #281260 - 09/16/09 12:43 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Man I hope I'm not coming off harsh here. Now if the space is so small or you are so hard up for cash (yes people I do realize this happens) you can only get those small cfls at the store then ya do it. When ya get the cash then up grade.

Now say a HID system did cost double the cfl system but you had the cash to buy one of them, wouldn't 3 times the bud kind of make up for that in the end.

Now to the guy who PMed me the writing on the box that says that 43 watts of that cfl is equal to 100watts of regular light they are comparing to incandescent bulbs. :omgawesome:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

Re: CFL's [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #281261 - 09/16/09 12:45 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

yea this is like free oaksterdam....no room for frownie faces

--------------------
All of the statements and posts I make or have made are fake. I just found all the pictures and copied and pasted them here. I am in no way associated with any of the materials discussed here. I'm just bored, and lame.

OfflineASEgrower
Stranger

#281268 - 09/16/09 01:19 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Quote:

Well duh, What you do is get the right Wattage light for the space. You can't be so stupid to think I meant a 1000 in a small space. For any space there is a HID that can fit it and do the job way better. I'm sorry you cfl guys get so butthurt but do a little research. 250watts of cfl light is hotter then 250 of HID cause less of the energy is being made into light, What that means is a 150watt HID would have done the job better then the 250watt cfl.

You have to stop locking in on the wattages. 200watts of cfl may work for a space but when thinking of HIDs you have to erase that 200wattage thing. A 100watt or acutally less then that will put out more light then the cfl and have batter penitration to the bottoms of the plants.

You can buy a complete 150watt HID system for 80 bucks. The 200watt cfl bulb alone is more then 60 bucks.

Now I'm not trying to rain on anybodys parade but arn't I suppose to point out better ways of doing things I kind of thought that is why we are here. Want to pay more for lesser results be my guests. To somebody just starting, crack open a book and look up the different bulbs or go to the hydro store and they will (or should) be more then happy to fire up some lights for ya and you can see for yourself before making the decision.

First off, I dont think calling people stupid is really required to answer a question, you will just derail the thread worse than it already is.  I didnt say that you implied to use a 1000w light in a 2x2, please show me where I said that, I will apologize immediately.

To further this, put your money where you mouth is.  Post a link to a complete 150W HID for 80 bucks.  If you can that would be great, cause i would buy it in a heartbeat.  I havent found one for that price.

Pointing out there are better ways is fine, but dont recommend a corvette to someone who is in the market for a chevette.

ETA:  the cheapest I can find a 150w HPS is 100 bucks shipped to my door.  And that still doesnt include the extra money I will have to spend on a better cooling system for the light, as it is intended for a smaller space. 

Edited by ASEgrower (09/16/09 01:23 PM)

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

#281294 - 09/16/09 02:16 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I believe I did get a little carried away with my system. Plus, I got caught up in the CFL hype.

In the past I've just used a few 40 watt fluorescent tubes in the el cheapo shop light fixtures.

Just recently Menards had a sale of CFL along with a mail in rebate. I got each 23 watt bulb for 75 cents.

In reality the setup I'm using is better than the one I would have been. I really didn't plan on putting that many lights together. It just kind of happened.

My biggest concern was heat generated. In all actuality CFL produce alot more heat than the old shop fixtures. I was disappointed when I realized that. It's not much of a difference but CFL's do run hotter.

I figured I would just use them for veg and as supplement lighting while in flower.

I've never used HID but I think they probably produce alot more heat than CFL's but I'm not sure.

Right now I have to keep my central air at 70F and my fan on full to keep the plants at 76-80F.

Those fixtures I used where 1.50 each.

All in all the cost was very small but that's because of the deal I got on the light.

I really just got caught up in the hype like I said earlier.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #281302 - 09/16/09 02:48 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Man I hope I'm not coming off harsh here. Now if the space is so small or you are so hard up for cash (yes people I do realize this happens) you can only get those small cfls at the store then ya do it. When ya get the cash then up grade.

Now say a HID system did cost double the cfl system but you had the cash to buy one of them, wouldn't 3 times the bud kind of make up for that in the end.

Now to the guy who PMed me the writing on the box that says that 43 watts of that cfl is equal to 100watts of regular light they are comparing to incandescent bulbs. :omgawesome:

see that's just what it came down to for me. I was unemployed and broke so I decided to grow myself some weed so I wouldn't be spending money buying it. out of that came my CFL situation, which cost me only $50 to setup (already had the grow tent).

Now that I have a job and I can use the tent with CFL's as a mothering area you will find many threads in this forum about me planning on purchasing at least 1000W in the next couple weeks :vaped::vaped::vaped:

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #281342 - 09/16/09 05:12 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

The very first place I went to. Off by 10 bucks. [url=http://nationalgardenwholesale.com/ngw/lighting.aspx?request=HORT_SS150&title=Complete Systems&type=product]150[/url] You didn't even look.

Now it's your turn to show me that cfl grow system for less.

Quote:

Pointing out there are better ways is fine, but dont recommend a corvette to someone who is in the market for a chevette.

I've already shown that a cfl grow light costs more. If you wanna grow with hardware store bulbs fine but your not looking for a chevette as you would say but more of a skateboard or bicycle.

A 150 wouldn't need anymore of a cooling system then the cfl system would.

and last at even a 100 dollar price you still get the system for less the a equal cfl system.

Here ya go [url=http://nationalgardenwholesale.com/ngw/lighting.aspx?request=SUN-SYSTEM-8&title=Fluorescent Lighting&type=product]cfl[/url]  Half the light for more money. Right up your alley.

Examples from the Sunlight Supply 09 Catalog.
150watt cfl 7600 lumens  $59.95
150watt HID 16500 lumens $23.95

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
    #281531 - 09/16/09 08:55 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

those links didn't work.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineASEgrower
Stranger

#281718 - 09/17/09 08:21 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
The very first place I went to. Off by 10 bucks. [url=http://nationalgardenwholesale.com/ngw/lighting.aspx?request=HORT_SS150&title=Complete Systems&type=product]150[/url] You didn't even look.

Now it's your turn to show me that cfl grow system for less.

Quote:

I've already shown that a cfl grow light costs more. If you wanna grow with hardware store bulbs fine but your not looking for a chevette as you would say but more of a skateboard or bicycle.

A 150 wouldn't need anymore of a cooling system then the cfl system would.

and last at even a 100 dollar price you still get the system for less the a equal cfl system.

Here ya go [url=http://nationalgardenwholesale.com/ngw/lighting.aspx?request=SUN-SYSTEM-8&title=Fluorescent Lighting&type=product]cfl[/url]  Half the light for more money. Right up your alley.

Examples from the Sunlight Supply 09 Catalog.
150watt cfl 7600 lumens  $59.95
150watt HID 16500 lumens $23.95

I guess you didnt bother to read my post at all, huh? 

Good deal, price the bulbs, not a complete setup.  The ballast, the whole nine yards, why didnt you do that?

That said, you still havent addressed the point.  No one is saying that it will be an equal amount of light.  What is being said is that it can be done cheaper, with less heat, in a small closet with CFL.

I also notice that you didnt include the higher cost involved with cooling the light, etc.  Why not?

So, please post the complete ballast, bulb, reflector, and all, and the equipment to cool the light for 80 bucks please, so that I can order one.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #281729 - 09/17/09 08:59 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Here ya go cut and paste  http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/customkititems.asp?kc=HLCSHPS015IV&eq= Anybody can go to any site that sells both a complete cfl set up and a equal HID one can see the Is not just a little cheaper but way cheaper. Now it's your turn. Find me a complete cfl system that has as many lumens for less.

Quote:

That said, you still havent addressed the point.  No one is saying that it will be an equal amount of light.  What is being said is that it can be done cheaper, with less heat, in a small closet with CFL.

I already fully addressed this point. HID's are cheaper and as I showed earlier they run hotter then HIDs to get the same amount of light,

Even you can see that 1000 lumen's of light from a cfl light is gonna run way way way hotter then 1000 lumen's from a HID cause it takes way less power to get to the same amount of light. They cost less, are way more efficient, and cooler.

If you don't need to cool 200 watts of cfl you don't need to cool 100watts of HID so it takes no more to cool the HID as the cfl in this case.

I'll say it in a way even you can understand. If a 200watt HID puts out more light then 200watts of cfl why is that? Because the cfl turns more of the power it uses into heat then light. Do we kind of get it now?

Do you do any research before you spout your crap?

--------------------

OfflineASEgrower
Stranger

#281739 - 09/17/09 09:34 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Here ya go cut and paste  http://nationalgardenwholesale.com/ngw/lighting.aspx?request=HORT_SS150&title=Complete]http://nationalgardenwholesale.com/ngw/lighting.aspx?request=HORT_SS150&title=Complete  Systems&type=product]150  even you can handle it. Anybody can go to any site that sells both a complete cfl set up and a equal HID one can see the Is not just a little cheaper but way cheaper.

Quote:

I already fully addressed this point. HID's are cheaper and as I showed earlier they run hotter then HIDs to get the same amount of light,

Even you can see that 1000 lumen's of light from a cfl light is gonna run way way way hotter then 1000 lumen's from a HID cause it takes way less power to get to the same amount of light. They cost less, are way more efficient, and cooler.

If you don't need to cool 200 watts of cfl you don't need to cool 100watts of HID so it takes no more to cool the HID as the cfl in this case.

I'll say it in a way even you can understand. If a 200watt HID puts out more light then 200watts of cfl why is that? Because the cfl turns more of the power it uses into heat then light. Do we kind of get it now?

Do you do any research before you spout your crap?

I really dont think that this needs to be a personal argument.  Lets keep it above the boards, this is a friendly place and it should stay that way.

That being said, as I originally said, and will say again, I can do a cfl grow in my closet for less than 50 bucks in a small space that prohibits me from using any other light source.  You dont have to spend 60 bucks on a 100w of CFL.  Combining smaller bulbs can usually be done much cheaper. 

Not every grow is perfect, not every grower can do the optimum thing at all times.  Blindly saying, CFLs are garbage and you need <insert item here> everytime someone asks isnt right.  How many times have you grown with CFLs?  Maybe your posts would be better if you related those experiences to compare with others, instead of pontificating about the usefulness of CFLs?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #281741 - 09/17/09 09:50 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I'm willing to bet I've grown with cfls more times then anybody in this post. Yes you can combine bulbs but you will have the wrong spectrum and hardly any of the light is usable by the plants so when I say they are garbage it isn't blindly saying so. I've been under the lights since 1985 and I take the time to do things right.
You can get HID lights all the way down to 75watts so combining bulbs isn't cheaper either.

Use cfl's anythinbg that grows buds is useful but there is no case where they are cooler, cheaper, or better in anyway then HID lights. People that use them thinking they are cheaper are robbing themselfs in the long run also. Costs more then double to run the lights then hid's to get the same amount of light. Floro light isn't gonna penitrate the plant layer like a HID no matter how powerful it is. So over a longer period of time you pay double to get (and this isn't a joke or being hyped up) over 75% less bud.

Every part of the plants growth is better also. The plants can use more of the food fed to them both better and faster with the light from HIDs.

Sorry I tend to get a little to into the growing thing and when I see somebody trying to go backwards I gotta say something but I can do it better.

But anyway here is another example. I feed my plants to the limit as I have posted before. Now if I were to go to even a equal amount of cfl light my plants would fry cause the light they have isn't efficent enough for them to use all the food I currently feed them. :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #281744 - 09/17/09 09:56 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I gotta do this. Anybody I offended or called stupid or a tard sorry. I tend to get a little to into this growing thing and like I said when I see people going backward I get frustrated and bang my head against the keyboard and tend to get a little to into growing at times.

But just so you know I have done the cfl thing, the grow tube thing and so on. Hell you guys should have seen the first reflectors for grow lights when they came out. Over 5 feet across. :happyweed:

--------------------

InvisibleBen18
Drunk Derelict
Male User Gallery

#281923 - 09/17/09 03:33 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

:highfive:

God you are such a badass.

This thread is pure win, finally finished my debating on cfl's vs. hid

ASEgrower, why don't you just save up an extra $20-40 bucks wait a few more weeks to start you're grow and you wouldn't have that problem at all. :shrug:

:bigblunt:

:peace:&:heart:

OfflineASEgrower
Stranger

#281930 - 09/17/09 03:38 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
I gotta do this. Anybody I offended or called stupid or a tard sorry. I tend to get a little to into this growing thing and like I said when I see people going backward I get frustrated and bang my head against the keyboard and tend to get a little to into growing at times.

But just so you know I have done the cfl thing, the grow tube thing and so on. Hell you guys should have seen the first reflectors for grow lights when they came out. Over 5 feet across. :happyweed:

I appreciate your posting, and respect your experience.  A lot of life is experience, and it seems like you have it (really, 1985?  Wow, you make me feel young, and I am not).  Do you really think that a 150wHPS can be used without any more cooling than CFLs?  A friend went with a 250 one time and was doing it in a space about 4x2.  He had heat issues constantly.  He couldnt get the light within probably 3 ft of the plants and I think that he suffered greatly from it in quality. He also did not directly cool the light.  He had ventilation, and a fan, but it wasnt cooling the lamp per se. How close can one get a 150w, without directly cooling the light, to the plant material?

Ben18, I agree, and think that I will.  I will start vegging under the CFL now though, and save for the other.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck