Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinealicedee25
Stranger

help?
    #251552 - 07/19/09 09:02 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

im going for my first grow. built a box today. three feet high three feet wide. only plan on growing 2-3 northern light plants.

lighting:  i want to use CFL. I need coollight for veg and daylight for flowering, right? How many bulbs will I need for 2-3 plants?

Air: Do I really need to set up a carbonfilter? can I just setup a fan for the outtake and maybe an ozone gen in the room?

Soil: http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/125037 ;
I was going to use one of those organic  recipes. how large of a pot should i get?

anyhelp would be grand:)

Edited by alicedee25 (07/19/09 09:25 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: help? [Re: alicedee25]
    #251558 - 07/19/09 09:30 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

2-3 plants might be kind of a stretch for a 3' by 3' box. You can use CFL's but you are going to lack dense buds unless you get a lot of them. I would use as many as you can and I would mix daylight and coollight CFL's together. If you can buy a metal halide bulb and ballast or something better. The carbon filter would be a good idea for smell. Some people are against using ozone in their grow rooms (bad for plants and people) And I'm sure someone else will answer your questions on the soil. Just make sure that it has a higher Nitrogen content for vegging than it does anything else. Look at the NPK on the package and make sure. Or just make your own. Start a grow log so we can see your progress:thumbup:. Good luck with your grow.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: help? [Re: Triptonic]
    #251568 - 07/19/09 09:39 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I disagree about the 2-3 plants...you could do 15 in a SOG setup in that space with 2-3 maybe do a SCROG to maximize yields.
For the number of CFL's you'd buy for that space, I'd just invest in a T5 setup or a MH or HPS system.  Check out HTG supply for some good prices.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: help? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #251571 - 07/19/09 09:42 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
I disagree about the 2-3 plants...you could do 15 in a SOG setup in that space with 2-3 maybe do a SCROG to maximize yields.
For the number of CFL's you'd buy for that space, I'd just invest in a T5 setup or a MH or HPS system.  Check out HTG supply for some good prices.

you would disagree :box: haha but ya if he was planning on tying them down then they would fit.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #251576 - 07/19/09 09:45 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

:lol: Much love trip! :lol:
Is that the kind of guy I come across as in the forums?
Just trying to be helpful!  You're a rock star, I'm just some hack tryin' to give my two cents worth.  :rofl:

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#251581 - 07/19/09 09:49 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

lol nah I didnt even think of those methods I was just thinking my plant was like 3 ft. tall and about 2 feet wide and I was thinking there is no way in hell that 2-3 plants are going to fit in that space :rofl2: But ya I was messin with ya man.:highfive:

Offlineimpgl

#251773 - 07/20/09 06:22 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

how would 2 or 3 plants not fit into a 3' x 3' area?

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: help? [Re: impgl]
    #251791 - 07/20/09 09:45 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

impgl said:
how would 2 or 3 plants not fit into a 3' x 3' area?

I think trip's response is based on having just 3 feet of headspace...he's right, it isn't a lot, and another foot or two in height would do a lot for yield; like triptonic said, he just hadn't thought about the SOG and SCROG methods.
I personally use 4' of headspace just for my veg chamber, and I'm building an 8' tall flower chamber, so this does seem a bit small.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Offlinealicedee25
Stranger

#252333 - 07/21/09 10:43 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

thanks for the input everyone. what i'm really learning to love and hate about cannabis horticulture is there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat. i'm been reading too much

2 plants is the goal now, one in veg and one in flowering. i'll probably making the box higher at some point if i cant train the plant to grow within her limits.

lighting: 2 65W CFLs and one 175W halide lamp? sound okay?

Air: sprays and whatnots. sealing a fan in a hole to suck out the air. building this http://www.rollitup.org/indoor-growing/7074-easy-build-diy-carbon-filter.html i hope this isn't too ghetto to get the job done.

soil: i'm not going for an organic recipe, cervantes is saying i shouldnt with my skill set. see what lowes has to offer.

nutrients: see what lowes has to offer.

Edited by alicedee25 (07/21/09 11:01 AM)

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #252379 - 07/21/09 12:39 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

forget lowe's for nutes. Seriously.

In fact, organic is EASIER than chemical grows b/c organics buffer pH to compensate for newb grower mistakes AND it tastes better.

Do more research, get some organic compost and guano or at least some fox farms stuff from an actual nursery.
If I see the words "Miracle Grow" in any of your future posts I will personally find and burn your setup.
With fire.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#252524 - 07/21/09 04:04 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
forget lowe's for nutes. Seriously.

In fact, organic is EASIER than chemical grows b/c organics buffer pH to compensate for newb grower mistakes AND it tastes better.

Do more research, get some organic compost and guano or at least some fox farms stuff from an actual nursery.
If I see the words "Miracle Grow" in any of your future posts I will personally find and burn your setup.
With fire.

:rofl2: yea he's right though.....I did a miracle grow, grow and it didnt turn out so nice :smile:

Offlinealicedee25
Stranger

#252622 - 07/21/09 08:02 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

fair enough. organics it is. will the fish oil make the room smell? i dont want my box on fire :smile:

no lowes for nuts? even if i go organic?

so am i good on the lights and air setup atleast? i'll end up getting a blower to fix to the carbon filter.. actually can someone explain all I need for the air? ducts, carbon filter and a blower, right?

Edited by alicedee25 (07/21/09 08:03 PM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #252632 - 07/21/09 09:04 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, I'm going to be the opposition here, but I can speak from results.

I've done both soil and hydro, organic and chemical nutes, and I have to say that organic soil is NOT the easiest method to grow. it's the easiest method to get smokeables, but it's also the easiest to fuckup if you don't pay attention to what you're putting in and when. Once the stuff in the soil is used up and you're providing all the nutrients from a bottle then (particularly with Earth Juice) you can have some nasty pH fluctuations and root rot. Not everybody, but I see it happen ALL the time for beginners. 

Google Hempy Buckets and Lucas formula, I swear it's the most idiot-proof combination I've found so far, and wonderful yield and quality.  Plus, you don't have to do ANYTHING for the pH with general hydroponics nutrients.

4 weeks into flower on my first grow with soil and organics;

3 weeks into my current grow using hempy buckets and a combination of chem and organic nutes.

Plus, hempy buckets don't support mold or bugs.
For example;

--------------------

Edited by Harry_Ba11sach (07/21/09 09:07 PM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: help? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #252633 - 07/21/09 09:06 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

oh yeah, and my first one was using HPS and current is CFL (just for kicks)

To answer your question, ducts, a fan and a carbon filter should be all you need for ventilation. Are you going to blow the air past the bulb for additional cooling or just vent the air from the box?

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#252635 - 07/21/09 09:11 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

nutsack. haha.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #252637 - 07/21/09 09:15 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

lol, I love that you love my name. when I chose it I was hoping at least one person would find it funny :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#252643 - 07/21/09 09:34 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

lol.....ya I say it when I'm having sex with my girlfriend. She seems to mind quite a bit. But I dont care.

Offlinealicedee25
Stranger

#252701 - 07/21/09 11:46 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks harry ba11sach! :thumbup: i'd never seen those methods. and your results look  :awebig:

I think im set on what to get and do now. i'll start a log in a week or so. If the heat produced by the 175 HID is too much i'll try to rig the fan to the light but as of now thats a drop in the 'what if..' bucket

thanks growerites for the help

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #252717 - 07/22/09 12:13 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I should also mention, even though I'm doing CFL's and still getting good results, I have about 14 26-watt bulbs over just a 2x2 area, so it's quite a bit of light still. I think your 175MH should be good, but if you haven't purchased yet consider stepping up to 250W

--------------------

Offlinesupersiege
Strangerer

#255461 - 07/26/09 01:28 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i find floures lighting doesnt penetrate to the bottom of the plants well and i wouldnt recomment anything other than hps or mh 250w or better for flowering. of course if your going cheap u can go with the flourescents for your box i would use 39wat 3ft bulbs and you can link up to 8 together on one cord get as many as you can afford, it is much much more expensive to purchase these with reflectors so i built my own out of plywood i covered in mylar then attached the lights to then i put some hanging hooks on the other side so i could adjust the lights height...also because of the reduced lumen output of flourescents i higly reccomend a good reflective surface for your box like mylar (aluminum foil sux) ive noticed plants dont really burn on the flourescents tube unless their touching but keeping the light about an inch or two above is best... at about 5 to 6 weeks into flowering their gonna smell pretty strong but 2-3 plants isnt many and ive grown in small trailer parks with no carbon filter, only when the door to the home was opened could u smell them outside i sealed every window nook and cranny possible in the house with "spray foam" at about 4 dollars a can its much cheaper than a filter, also when buying a filter if you dont have the appropriate air flow for the size of the filter it can effect how well it works so youll probably need to purchase a squirrle or inline duct fan to make it effective also if ALL the air from the room doesnt pass through the filter on its way out its useless pot plants need an air exchange ratio of about once every 5 mins to flourish and as for soil the stuff on your link is all good just remember the extra dollar for good soil will make a huge impact on end results and lastly on the size of your box just remember that the plant will double in size atleast from when u begin the flowering cycle so if all u got is 3 ft youll need to flip at around 18 inches tall max i usueally do 15inches on all my indoor plants and ive gotten  2 oz from a 3 ft plant b4

Offlinealicedee25
Stranger

Re: help? [Re: supersiege]
    #256049 - 07/27/09 11:39 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

most everything is coming together.
going to get a 250W hps 'sun system 2'.
i figured a foot of root and the foot of lighting is going to really leave no room for anything of worth so im adding another 18inches to the box.
Got a 60 CFM(? dont have it handy to know the acronym) bathroom style exhaust fan to connect to the carbonfilter i linked up before.
Going with nirvana's bubblelicious instead of cannabis seed's northern lights because i read their service and genetics were unreliable.
Using the hempy bucket method and flora bloom and mirco nutes using the lucas formula(thanks harry)

I think i'm set, oui?

I'll hopefully start a grow log in a 2 weeks

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck