Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Aquaponics [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #244306 - 06/29/09 07:06 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

The highlights of the article =

During flowering using a nylon sock filled with kelp, guanos,ect.

and not feeding pellets/flake to fish as it apparently effects the taste of weed. I've got a lot of baby Cichlids too that will grow fairly quickly. This may turn into a MJ project. I don't have a ton of feeders either, I do however have worms theyre just a pain to clean off but I guess it wouldn't matter much in this setup. :P

Definately seems like a neat idea. If only my climate was better I would love an aquaponic greenhouse. I wonder what issues id face if I tried heating it during the winter via composting + artificial light and I guess space heatrs/pond heaters if need be.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Aquaponics [Re: captain.koons]
    #244311 - 06/29/09 07:23 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Would be kind of a neat challenge to make a self sufficient "green" green house.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #244314 - 06/29/09 07:27 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

you need to feed the fish still. if you want to do it right you need large fish too.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #244317 - 06/29/09 07:31 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, they use the tilapia out here.

That would be the challenge now wouldn't it. Along with heating during winter

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #244321 - 06/29/09 07:39 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

tilapia dies in texas winter lol.

I'd use cichlids, turtles, goldfish, guppies, plecos, misc bottom feeders. Heating during the winter may not be as bad as you think. The amount of water = lots of insulation and it holds heat from light just try going over the top with water and the heating bill will be less. If my friend who owns a fishstore gives me a deal on birchirs and gars I'd go purely with those they feed like crazy, or maybe a bunch of snakeheads.

our winters are like 6-8hours of light so my lights would be on 4-6hours minimum maybe longer depending on the brightness

compost pile(gotta look into that one more), spaceheater/water heater, possibly have my wormbins in there that would be heated anyways which just means less dead space... a couple hundred pounds of compost+worms/bedding would go a long way I'm sure.

I msged shantibaba from mr nice he's all into greenhouses and whatnot so hopefully he gives me some info.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #244340 - 06/29/09 08:03 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Tilapia are eaten for food out here, which is why they are so popular here.
Composting will definitely produce a bunch of heat. And along with a heated worm bed maybe almost enough. What is winter temps there?

I used to have a bunch of cichlids awhile back. And used to feed them lil feeder minnows. Now i wonder if you had a small 10-20 gallon tank in line with the rest of the system so that it held the feeder fish and they could hopefully begin to breed in order to keep the cichlids fed. While being flushed with the rest of the system. This way you have a constant supply of food for them and you stay on the "green" path. I remember certain cichlids get quite large too given the space.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #244351 - 06/29/09 08:13 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

coldest it gets is like -40c :@

either way first thing is first.

establishing a indoor aquaponic setup
then either growing cannabis with it or moving it outdoors
then the 2nd unachieved goal
then extending the greenhouse to operate in the winter

I'm not too keen on growing mj in a small greenhouse considering im in city limits in a residential area, I'd totally be down for it if I was out in the country or something.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #244561 - 06/30/09 08:59 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
Tilapia are eaten for food out here, which is why they are so popular here.
Composting will definitely produce a bunch of heat. And along with a heated worm bed maybe almost enough. What is winter temps there?

I used to have a bunch of cichlids awhile back. And used to feed them lil feeder minnows. Now i wonder if you had a small 10-20 gallon tank in line with the rest of the system so that it held the feeder fish and they could hopefully begin to breed in order to keep the cichlids fed. While being flushed with the rest of the system. This way you have a constant supply of food for them and you stay on the "green" path. I remember certain cichlids get quite large too given the space.

I'd probably only have the live fed tank on the loop if I was growing dank, I'd definately do pellet/flake fed fish on some veggies though.

I'm going to use convics,worms, mollys, platys, guppies as my feeders. convics reproduce up to every week and within a month they have feeder sized fish and they don't kill their fry. I have a near infinite supply of worms. Molly's platys and guppies are like the other good feeders. feeder goldfish and minnows take a long time to grow. You also more or less need a pond to grow a good amount of them and then it's pointless cuz there's many that grow to be like a ft long and they routinely eat the amount of food you would give to a full tank of convics.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #244611 - 06/30/09 12:36 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #244748 - 06/30/09 08:21 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

http://icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=17454

for anyone interested. aquaponics applied to cannabis!

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #244764 - 06/30/09 08:48 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Nice, and that article was from 2005!
I think so far, you and i are the only ones interested so far
:shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #244781 - 06/30/09 09:16 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I'm going to play with this indoors first and without MJ.

I looked into a greenhouse today and a 10x12' is 6500$, a 20x20' is 15000$. This is with 5 sided poly carbonate glazing which only allows 62% of light in and when looking from the outside all you see is shadows. Seems like it would be good for a Mj grow :laugh: I wanna find out how much it would cost during the winter. Me thinks I'd be better off heating it start of April to End of Nov which would give me enough for 3-4 crops or a lot of perpetual harvesting power and I wouldn't have to pay the biggest bucks for the coldest 4 months of the year.

It seems like if you take all the steps to insulating a large greenhouse it can be rather lucrative even year round. You can put heating cables into the foundation, of course heated water, space heaters, the polycarbonate material is 80% more effective at insulating than glass furthermore you can put up lining and what not.

A 20x20' greenhouse is HUGE too, that's 400 sq ft of growing ability. Even legit stuff could turn a profit im sure, those 100% organic veggies and fruits aint cheap.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #244783 - 06/30/09 09:18 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I've been following this thread. I find it very interesting but not anything I would want to try.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Aquaponics [Re: KaptKid]
    #244804 - 06/30/09 10:23 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I'm still skeptical about the nutrients provided by fish waste. You can provide K by feeding worms lots of bananas (preferably obtained for free) then feeding those worms said bananas. Then feeding said worms to fishies.

The sock of quanos and such sounds neat too. I'm definitely trying this with house plants at least.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #244951 - 07/01/09 12:24 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i can't wait to see your set up! And hell yeah on the green house, wanted to reply yesterday but was under the weather and fell asleep while replying. But yeah the green house sounds awsome, and huge!

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #245019 - 07/01/09 03:09 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Small scale with tomatoes and bellpeppers and such first :smile:

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #246111 - 07/05/09 02:42 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

So cappy, you got a game plan on this yet?
Been awhile, just thought i would check on any progress.

--------------------

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #248712 - 07/12/09 01:26 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Yo, captain.koons.

Haha, guess you didn't like being called cappy?

So hows it going, have ya done anything with this yet?

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #248719 - 07/12/09 01:54 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

oh sorry, I've been away from the computer I'm on vacation until the end of august.

I've planned out the fish selection, pH, setup more or less.

pH will fluctuate a bit but I'll try to keep it at 6.2 and not let it drop below 6 as that's when the nitrogen cycle slows down. my fish will be a trial and error kind of deal going to look for the most feeders consumed per feeding and factor in qualities such as if they will not be aggresive towards my much needed pleco(s), catfish, and misc scavengers.

prime eaters:

oscars (amazonian cichlid) -- 55f = fatal low temp which is considerably lower than the optimal 68f root zone temps? does  good either alone or in groups/shoals. this fish likes digging so planting isn't exactly a viable option
pike cichlid - grows big, amongst the heaviest eaters it's extremely aggressive saves most of said aggression for fish that look similar to it's self, this aggression can be controlled by putting pots and pvc in the tank.
snakehead - this fish is illegal in most of the united states as it's a top predator and can over take waters in a very short time as it can multiply a quarter of a million times in a couple years. this fish has the biggest appetite compared to nearly any other fish you couild keep in a tank, but will consume likely all tank mates. optimal temperature is 18-22c

all of the above fish are ideal for the pH and temps, and will have great appetites. I think I'll try oscars + pike cichlid(1) and some catfish/plecos/scavengers @ ph ~6.2 and temps of 22-24c.

although this temperature is optimal in traditional hydroponics, you can achieve much higher temps because of the presence of competitive organisms that will fight off root rot which will coincidentally result in higher rates of photosynthesis.

as for the setup. im going to use a dutch bucket system of a ebb and flow multiflow setup. basically there's a bucket with a hole cut in the top where a netpot sits filled with your hydroponics medium your plant is put in there and it's top fed until the bucket fills till a float valve triggers it's return to the tank. this is good because it's continuously fed and is suitable for aquaponics.

you can also top dress the netpots with wormcastings and such to raise the npk profile and jumpstart your plants. you can also plant seeds into this top dressing if it's not made too hot.

I'm going to try this with cucumbers and tomatoes when I get back from my vacation.

that's all for now

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #248726 - 07/12/09 02:04 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Right on bro!

Sorry, forgot you were on vacation.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom