Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejellyfish

For the good of the colony?
    #234376 - 05/30/09 11:13 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Hey folks! I have a really small closet set up (250 w HPS) and I typically grow like 3 plants a year one or two at a time because of size restraints. Now this has always gone pretty well. I get like an ounce off a plant that keeps me smoking for a little while as I get the next show on the road. Now here's my problem. My friend bought expensive feminized blueberry seeds and gave me a cutting of one of his vegging plants. All went well until now, about 5 weeks into flowering where my beautiful female plant and it's fat buds is starting to not look so female. Male flowers have been popping up in the dense buddage, some are already shriveled and dead since I didn't see them in time. I attempted removing the flowers since there aren't too many but one clumsy move with my scissors had pollen pouring down onto the buds below and I figured I'd just leave them be. My growing knowledge tells me to ditch the plant, even though there aren't very many flowers, the pollen will ruin future grows. However I'm very reluctant as it's close to completion and I won't have another flowering plant for at least 2 months. Will the small amount of pollen released by a few male flowers really ruin all my future grows? I will clean the grow room very well after this grow is done. Is it worth it for me to throw away my only homegrown cause of pollen contamination knowing some pollen has already been released or should I keep the plant and just clean my grow area after. I really don't want to ditch my only baby but the thought of having all my future grows filled with seeds makes me pretty sad as well. Thanks for the help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYungpunk
NewKidOnTheBlock
 User Gallery

Re: For the good of the colony? [Re: jellyfish]
    #234389 - 05/30/09 11:40 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i would say since its already released some pollen into your room then just ride it out and hope for the best at the end. dont know how hard it would be to clean your closet out that well but im sure youd have to do the surrounding rooms as well. idk

i wonder what your buddies plant looks like right now. maybe you shocked yours when you got it and caused it to herm or something?

--------------------
Riots are the voices of the unheard.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #234390 - 05/30/09 11:41 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You can clean with bleach water and kill all pollen. Your future grows will be safe

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Offlineherd
the responsible thizz head
Male

Re: For the good of the colony? [Re: KaptKid]
    #234461 - 05/31/09 01:44 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

yeah a thorough washdown  should do the trick.
but dont go heavy on the bleach

--------------------
Proud roach/dooby collector since 07

Offlinejellyfish

Re: For the good of the colony? [Re: herd]
    #234477 - 05/31/09 02:07 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

My friend actually moved and had to throw his out. Mine has barely been stressed at all, except maybe by heat I dunno. How hot is too hot for a grow room? My area is pretty small. My other plants have all gotten heat stress but never have they grown male flowers.

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
    #234501 - 05/31/09 08:33 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

That sucks.

A 10% bleach solution is all thats needed (1 part bleach/9 parts COOL H2O). Hot water effects the pH and antibacterial properties of bleach.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

OfflineYungpunk
NewKidOnTheBlock
 User Gallery

Re: For the good of the colony? [Re: ethnoguy]
    #234505 - 05/31/09 09:14 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

my room gets to about 87-88 if the fans not on it and the fan on my tub is not running, ive had two plants in this unit before and one wilted due to heat while the other one grew beautiful, usually i stick my finger in the soil and feel how warm it is if i dont have a gauge.

--------------------

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

Offlinejellyfish

Re: For the good of the colony? [Re: Yungpunk]
    #234559 - 05/31/09 12:15 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

87-88 f. That's like 30 or 31 degrees c that's about how hot my room is. Sadly that is with two of the fans, the third is a carbon filter output I haven't turned on yet this season. I guess it's a big problem but it's never made anything else go hermy.

OfflineYungpunk
NewKidOnTheBlock
 User Gallery

#234637 - 05/31/09 03:31 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

sorry thats with ONE fan going, it stays cool in there with my xbox fan on.

--------------------

Offlinejellyfish

#235777 - 06/02/09 10:47 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

One more question, are the seeds from this plant going to be worth keeping, or will they be hermaphrodites too.

OfflineDivide
Stranger
    #235796 - 06/02/09 11:40 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

This is what you get for using feminized seeds. Feminized seeds often produce true hermaphrodites, which means their offspring are likely to be hermies as well.

http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/node/394

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: For the good of the colony? [Re: Divide]
    #235828 - 06/03/09 03:41 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You are five weeks into flower correct? I wouldn't worry about the pollen.

With a washdown of the cab it will have no effect on your future plants. As for the current ones, I would keep them and let them finish. You may find a bunch of small, immature seeds when you get to harvest time but I don't think you will let them go long enough to have mature seeds at this point so no worries.

Those temps though are FAR to high. Anything above 90 will absolutely stress and slow your plants. Even being above 80f is too high. Try to get some bigger fans or an AC unit if possible. You want to keep those girls at a nice cool 75f with only occasional swings into the 80's.

Good luck!

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Offlinejellyfish

Re: For the good of the colony? [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #236916 - 06/06/09 02:56 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks doc. I swear, my heat problems are the only thing between myself and excellent herb. The people I live with don't let me have more than 2 plants cause they don't smoke and are really paranoid, and I'm cool with that but they think that a mini A/C is going to run up the power bill and I'm going to try to convince them otherwise. Since I'm already saving money after switching to 250 w from 400 I figure it won't hurt to run something small for heat. I've never seen an A/C that didn't fit into a window though. Any advice for me? More fans doesn't seem to be helping too noticeably. I even had a hole cut in the ceiling at one point with a fan hoping the warm air would rise up and into the rest of the house but that got pretty smelly and didn't even do much for heat.

OfflineYungpunk
NewKidOnTheBlock
 User Gallery

#237047 - 06/06/09 08:02 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

what kind of fans do you have on your plants right now, would it be possible to put a fan blowing on your ilghts to cool them as well?

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #237084 - 06/06/09 10:43 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Yungpunk said: would it be possible to put a fan blowing on your ilghts to cool them as well?

Yes , got a pic in my grow journal

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Offlinejellyfish

Re: For the good of the colony? [Re: KaptKid]
    #237136 - 06/07/09 04:37 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I guess I could put a house fan or something blowing on the lamp. Is the pollen from a hermie good? Like could I keep some and use them to pollinate another plant or will it's offspring have a higher chance of going hermie as well.

Also are any strains known to be more tolerating of heat than others?

Edited by jellyfish (06/07/09 04:47 AM)

OfflineYungpunk
NewKidOnTheBlock
 User Gallery

#237216 - 06/07/09 02:11 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i would keep nothing from a herm. just let it go to the next life.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds