Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepsychedellious
 User Gallery

Re: Outdoor 2009[pics] [Re: psychedellious]
    #236100 - 06/03/09 07:48 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

disreguard the age of plants. original pics were taken on 5/23 and todays post is where they are at now. it seemed a lot longer than that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepsychedellious
 User Gallery

#237058 - 06/06/09 08:24 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

:UPDATE:

Separated all three plants today. We'll see how everything goes. I can't wait to see the results, this being a blind grow and everything. Hopefully I picked some good seeds outta my bag seed pile.

OfflineTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

#237313 - 06/07/09 07:43 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I trimmed the plants today. These first ones are before trim.

These are after trim and the pile of trim.

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Outdoor 2009[pics] [Re: TheShroomJew23]
    #237552 - 06/08/09 10:58 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

ummm... why are you trimming leaves?

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Offlinespacemonkey69
Trusted Vaporizer

Loc: Flag
Re: Outdoor 2009[pics] [Re: Yrat]
    #237555 - 06/08/09 11:07 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

trimming the tip off the leaves help them focus energy towards root formation rather than transpiration.

--------------------
[quote]
“You see this glass bong?” asks Achaan Chaa, the Thai meditation master. “For me this glass is already broken. I enjoy it; I smoke out of it. It holds my water admirably, sometimes even reflecting the sun in beautiful patterns. If I should tap it, it has a lovely ring to it. But when I put this glass bong on the shelf and the wind knocks it over or my elbow brushes it off the table and it falls to the ground and shatters, I say, ‘Of course.’ When I understand that the glass is already broken, every moment with it is precious.”[/quote]

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Outdoor 2009[pics] [Re: spacemonkey69]
    #237566 - 06/08/09 11:53 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

But so does adding a root enhancer like Root 66 from TechnaFlora, no trimming required.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Outdoor 2009[pics] [Re: Integra21]
    #237576 - 06/08/09 12:19 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah personally I would never cut any leaves off unless they are more than 75% dead... They need as much surface area as possible to get the most amount of light absorbed.  That's how they grow after all :shrug:

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Re: Outdoor 2009[pics] [Re: Inverted]
    #237711 - 06/08/09 06:17 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I use Root66 in my nute solution totally through veg, I trimmed the plants because the fan leaves were blocking out light to the node growth and the growth has been ready to take over. The fan leaves were just blocking out light and taking up space. I do this trimming whenever it will be an outdoor grow because I usually ScrOG them outside and the large lower node growth has sometimes yeilded more than the top cola on me.

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Outdoor 2009[pics] [Re: Inverted]
    #237714 - 06/08/09 06:26 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

the leaves are the solar panels of the plant.  don't cut them.

they would be more able to grow roots with larger leaves providing them more food.

besides, the leaves were already grown, the plant wasn't "diverting" energy away from the roots to the leaves.  closer to the opposite is true: the leaves provide the roots with energy to grow.  you have set them back now, and they will be shocked/stunted for awhile.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

OfflineTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

#237734 - 06/08/09 06:58 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yrat, I know your a mod and this isn't meant to sound bitchy but, I am an ag researcher and have phds in hortilculture, crop sciences, and botany. My actions won't cause any stunt or slower growth since there is already hearty growth ready to take over and the root system is fully developed. I just checked them and there has been no droping, discoloration, or any seen problems. The node growth though has shot off and the tops have new leafs coming.

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
    #237736 - 06/08/09 07:03 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Interesting.  I have been reviewing a lot of grow journals by some great cultivators on ICmag.  I see that most of them will prune the bottom of the plant and leave the top for scrog surface area.  Personally I think it looks neat, but that's about the extent of my knowledge of it.  So what's wrong with pruning the plant and when is the best time to do it?

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=24013
^list of scrog grows.  It's pretty cool.  Got some great journals in there.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=12653
^that's just a cool grow with a scrog.  450g harvest with one plant.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Outdoor 2009[pics] [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #237793 - 06/08/09 10:34 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I have noticed that trimming the leaves doesnt really stunt growth but slows it the more you trim. Not hugely noticable, but my simple solutions is to tuck large fan leaves down under the growing lower branches which is good light for new development, and less for the old fans, but they're still there doing there job to make plant growth the fastest and fullest it can be. I to scrog, but you trim the lower canopy to get rid of leaves and buds that will never see light, so there is no harm, but removing fan leaves when it is not needed can never help. You can see in my middle sig pic a pesky fan leaf the was blocking light from the bud below it, but instead of just shearing it off, i broke the stem an moved it out of the way, and 2 weeks later its still healthy and doing its job without hindering any other growth.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#237872 - 06/09/09 05:29 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

with your background i would expect you to test your theories with some control plants to prove the effects, at least to yourself if no one else.

trim half and leave half alone, observe any differences between the two, and go from there.  i might be completely wrong, but there's no way to know how the plants respond to your treatment if you trim them all and assume its for the better.

--------------------

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

OfflineTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

#237952 - 06/09/09 12:23 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I didn't trim them all. I left two other plants and I just checked the lot of them today. The trimmed plants node growths have taken total use of the light and are pretty big now. The untrimmed plants node growth is barely moving but the fan leaves are much bigger. I also added nutes after trimming and not trimming.

--------------------

Offlinepsychedellious
 User Gallery

#239545 - 06/14/09 11:26 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Do you think that it is necessary to trim the leaves? My node growth seems to be doing just fine with out trimming. Is there any use for these trimmings after?

OfflineTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

#239561 - 06/14/09 12:11 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

It helps the plant focus the growth on its roots and node growth. My babies will be outside as of this coming saturday so I wanted as much node growth so I can start super cropping as soon as they are outside, also I was running out of space so I clipped the big guys.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom