Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLordOfChaos
AKA KADA
Male

Indica or Sativa?
    #103216 - 08/05/08 06:50 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

What would be better to grow indoors? Are one of them better than the other? What about hybrid? These are my questions, thank you in advance for any answers.

http://www.medicalmarihuana.ca/strains.html
The Differences of Cannabis Indica and Sativa plants.

Fat Leaves and Short Bush = INDICA
Thin Leaves and Tall Bush = SATIVA

Sativas are just about the opposite of Indicas. They are tall, thin plants, with much narrower leaves and grow a lighter green in color. They grow very quickly and can reach heights of 20 feet in a single season. They originally come from Colombia, Mexico, Thailand and Southeast Asia. Once flowering has begun, they can take anywhere from 10 to 16 weeks to fully mature. Flavors range from earthy to sweet and fruity. Sativa's higher THC than CBD equals cerebral, soaring type of high, more energetic which can stimulate brain activity and may produce hallucinations.

Sativa plants are taller, take longer to mature, have less chlorophyll and more accessory pigments (accessory pigments protect the plant from excessive sunlight). As Sativa strains have less chlorophyll than Indica they take longer to grow, mature, and require more light.

Sativa typically takes longer to germinate and flower also, and grows more gangly then Indica breeds.

Yield is usually lower than Indica, but is very potent. Thai Sativa grows taller and has a longer flowering period, so they are better suited for outdoors.

Indicas originally come from the hash producing countries of the world like Afghanistan, Morocco, and Tibet. They are short dense plants, with broad leaves and often grow a darker green. After flowering starts they will be mature in 6 to 8 weeks.

The buds will be thick and dense, with flavors and aromas ranging from pungent skunk to sweet and fruity. The smoke from an Indica is generally a body type stone, relaxing and laid back. Indica's higher CBD than THC equals a much heavier, sleepy type of high. Indica plants have a heavy, stony high that is relaxing and can help different medical problems.

Indica yield is usually higher than Sativa, and shorter growing season. Better for indoor growing, because they don't get as tall.

Indica plants are short, bushy, mature early, have more chlorophyll and less accessory pigments (accessory pigments protect the plant from excessive sunlight). As Indica strains have more chlorophyll than sativa they grow and mature faster.

Combining different indicas, different sativas or a combination thereof creates hybrids. The resulting hybrid strains will grow, mature and smoke in relationship to the indica/sativa percentages they end up containing.

Here is a quote from Hilary Black of the British Columbia Compassion Society:

"Indica and Sativa are the two main varieties of the cannabis plant used as medicine. There are many strains that are crosses of those two varieties. Within each of those varieties and crosses there are a huge number of individual strains, each with a different cannabinoid profile and effect. According to anecdotal evidence, the Indica strains are a relaxant, effective for anxiety, pain, nausea, appetite stimulation, sleep, muscle spasms and tremors, among other symptoms. The Sativa strains are more of a stimulant, effective in appetite stimulation, relieving depression, migraines, pain and nausea. We are now aware of specific strains that are effective for specific conditions and symptoms."

--------------------
It's not paranoia when they really are out to get you

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Indica or Sativa? [Re: LordOfChaos]
    #103219 - 08/05/08 07:30 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

sativas are very lanky I wouldn't even call them a bush.

sativas are definately less convient to grow indoors... require as much as 90 days instead of 50-63 more head room

a hybrid is hit and miss if you can find a short one that's good..

indicas usually finish at around 8 weeks some as little as 6. they're short and bushy without stretch and space between the buds, specially with a single cola sog setup.

if you're looking for ease of growth definately go with a indica... or a indica dom hybrid.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineLordOfChaos
AKA KADA
Male

Re: Indica or Sativa? [Re: captain.koons]
    #103220 - 08/05/08 07:33 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Was thinking of investing in some Burmese Kush seeds.

--------------------

Edited by LordOfChaos (08/05/08 07:43 AM)

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #103221 - 08/05/08 07:44 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

hmm

I don't really have a lot of experience with Kush but it's a pure indica.. or should be.

I'm going to grow some Hindu Kush by Sensi seeds sometime soon.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineLordOfChaos
AKA KADA
Male

#103224 - 08/05/08 07:48 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I will go check that out. *I was reading that the more light in a area is better for the plants, as long as heat isn't a issue. I was thinking a 600w ni a 3x3 space. Should i just go ahead and make a 4x4 space instead, even if i don't use the whole space? I have the room to.

Damn, they don't ship to the US either.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #103225 - 08/05/08 07:51 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

4x4 area is kind of stretching it a bit. 50watt per square foot is optimal people say.

tons of people strech their light, makes your plants stretch out a little but ultimatle it should be better for yield.

I think that the 50 watt per square foot is more for sea of green but isn't a bad idea.

600w in a 3x3 area is 66.67 watts per square foot.

I'd probably go ahead and use the 4x4 area.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineLordOfChaos
AKA KADA
Male

#103226 - 08/05/08 07:52 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Cool. TY

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #103229 - 08/05/08 08:06 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

if you go Kush I'd go Hindu Kush I think.

I don't know what the original Burmese Kush is but the description TH seeds gives says that this isn't a full indica but it is crossed with the OG Kush clone.

Have you smoked either Burmese Kush or Hindu Kush?

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineLordOfChaos
AKA KADA
Male

#103232 - 08/05/08 08:20 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I have smoked crap. The crap that is in this small town is worthless. What i get no one knows the name of, and you can't even identify it because it is compressed. Im taking matters into my own hands basically.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #103234 - 08/05/08 08:30 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

word

I either pick will suit you fine.

Hindu Kush definately seems like a winner though! :laugh:

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineChronicbs

#103260 - 08/05/08 10:38 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

LordOfChaos said:
Was thinking of investing in some Burmese Kush seeds. 

Burmese has an excellent reputation, its a sativa landrace from south east asia.  I've read many good grows from people growing Reefermans pure burmese.  After googling I'm assuming you are talking about the "burmese kush" offered from THSeeds.  Reputable breader, I believe them when they say they used the og kush to make the seeds.  Sounds like an excellent idea they had mixing the clone only og kush with the burmese to make seeds.  Likely an even better mix than their Sage n' Sour.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Indica or Sativa? [Re: Chronicbs]
    #103263 - 08/05/08 10:45 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

so burmese is pure sativa and OG Kush is near pure or pure indica.

your looking at around a 50:50 hybrid.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineChronicbs

#103264 - 08/05/08 10:50 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

captain.koons said:

Hindu Kush definately seems like a winner though! :laugh:

If its the Burmese Kush from THSeeds it doesn't have  the landrace hindu kush in it.  Thats a good thing though.  It has the clone only OGKush in it which is unrelated to the landrace Hindu Kush.  So it seems to be a Burmese landrace father from SE asia crossed with the ogkush clone twice as the vendor says its (burmese kush x ogkush) and I'm assuming burmese kush is (burmese x ogkush)

OfflineChronicbs

#103265 - 08/05/08 10:53 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

captain.koons said:
so burmese is pure sativa and OG Kush is near pure or pure indica.

your looking at around a 50:50 hybrid.

It should still grow more like a vigorous indica more than a sativa I think.  From the grows I've seen pure burmese grows short fat nugs and the plant doesn't stretch much at all considering its a landrace sativa.  Like I said, seems like a perfect mix as they are similar plants in many ways yet different enough to give tons of vigor.  Plus they compliment each others biggest weakness.  Burmese tends to not have the best high but it is a dream to grow, kush usually sucks to grow and has the best high.  Should be squat vigorous plants big fat nugs I think.

Edited by Chronicbs (08/05/08 11:03 AM)

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #103268 - 08/05/08 10:57 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

if it's back crossed to og kush it's indica dom then.

Quote:

If its the Burmese Kush from THSeeds it doesn't have  the landrace hindu kush in it.  Thats a good thing though.  It has the clone only OGKush in it which is unrelated to the landrace Hindu Kush.

I was suggesting Hindu Kush and stated it's a winner as a Kush strain or Indica.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblebeatyou
Male User Gallery

Loc: 512/atx
    #103271 - 08/05/08 11:01 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

indica and hybrid is what most people grow indoors.  depends on what your in it for, and what kind of bud you prefer. indicas will yield more in a shorter amount of time usually

--------------------
this is me on a bar, 3 methrolls (up 4 days), ketamine, and some good acid two years ago.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Indica or Sativa? [Re: beatyou]
    #103283 - 08/05/08 11:24 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

who said otherwise?

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblebeatyou
Male User Gallery

Loc: 512/atx
    #103288 - 08/05/08 11:31 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

no one?

--------------------
this is me on a bar, 3 methrolls (up 4 days), ketamine, and some good acid two years ago.

OfflineChronicbs

#103297 - 08/05/08 11:47 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I think a decent hybrid will always beat a pure indica.  Pure indicas veg/root slow.  When you factor in the hybrid vigor you make up most of the extra flower time by being able to veg and root so much quicker.

Edited by Chronicbs (08/05/08 11:47 AM)

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #103299 - 08/05/08 11:53 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

what about in a SOG grow?

not everyone veggies.

and some people who do veg have a different area for vegging making veg times unsignificant to their production.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies