Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: From Seeds to Mother [Re: Annom]
    #52451 - 06/06/08 01:20 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Of course; totally spaced that out. :hehehe:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: From Seeds to Mother [Re: Sirius]
    #52452 - 06/06/08 01:22 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

In that case, topping/cloning and putting them in flower as soon as they root might be your best bet, since you're intending on topping anyways.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: From Seeds to Mother [Re: coda]
    #52462 - 06/06/08 01:59 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Someone on a dutch forum told me that my plants would be in complete shock and stress when temperatures dropped below 15C (60F) with the lights off. I had temperatures, with lights off, below 12C (54F) during at least two weeks (due to some construction work). It was the best grow so far, almost 1g/W.

Don't totally discredit it though.  Lots of things people say actually do have scientific reasons behind them.  Cannabis grows the best with a 5-8 degree temperature differential between light and dark.  Ideal temps for lights on is 75-78, lights off between 70-73.

During colder temperatures plants will grow slower as well, this can lengthen the time of your flowering cycle or severely stunt the overall growth of the plant.  Likewise too high of a temperature difference between lights on and lights off will make your plants uncomfortable too. 

Quote:

There has to be a logic meaning of plant "stress".

How about "altering the plants hormones/chemicals by actions which are not conducive to healthy plant growth".  If you really, seriously, don't believe that you can stress out plants i have an idea for you.  If you really were just going to kill off some females you weren't happy with try experimenting with them.  Fuck with the light cycles viciously, see what happens when you give them 5 hrs on, 2 hrs off, 4 hrs on, 5 hrs off etc throughout the day/week/month.  Let them grow in 90 degree weather, then cooler weather, over and over and see what happens.  Or, bud your plants for a while on 12/12, then in the middle of that flip the lights on to 24/0 to veg them again, then flip them back to flowering, then look at the results.  At the end of it all, take the plants that you treated like shit and compare them to the ones you treated normally.

However, cannabis is a hardy plant.  It can tolerate a lot of bullshit.  So, along the way, if small mistakes happen generally they won't affect you too much in the end.  In your case your plants only put up with colder temps in the last two weeks of their life.  By this point they have already pretty much finished growing and are ripening up before harvest.  Temperature differences in this stage of your grow really won't affect things too much.  However if your plants were in veg at 54 degrees you'd see some damn slow growth.  So, in the end, constant or repeated mistakes will ultimately hurt your plants and affect your final results.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #52468 - 06/06/08 02:17 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Annom said:
I've never seen "stress" in my plants when going from 18/6 to 12/12. I'll give them some Valium next time I water them, just in case. :tongue2:

I don't think that there would be much from going from 24/0 to 12/12, which is what I was saying, and there would be less going from 18/6 to 12/12, but I have heard reports of there being some going from 24/0 to 12/12 because it is an unexpected, dramatic change. I would imagine this would be apparent by the plant taking some amount of time to adjust before it focused on growing again. It definitely isn't going to be that much of a concern, since a lot of people switch like that and it obviously doesn't harm the plant much. I was just pointing it out since you are making the switch and that it is, in some way, beneficial for it. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #52477 - 06/06/08 02:36 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Cannabis grows the best with a 5-8 degree temperature differential between light and dark.  Ideal temps for lights on is 75-78, lights off between 70-73.

There sure are ideal conditions, but cannabis seems to have a wide variety of temp conditions in which it can function fine and create a high yield (not highest). It would be useful if there was a clearer distinction between ideal conditions and still ok conditions. It's as important to know what happens when you move away from ideal conditions as to know what ideal conditions are.

Quote:

In your case your plants only put up with colder temps in the last two weeks of their life.

It actually was in the first two weeks of flowering, when the plants still grow.
I can understand why low temperatures slow growth, but it apparently had no significant effect on yield.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #52485 - 06/06/08 03:14 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I can understand why low temperatures slow growth, but it apparently had no significant effect on yield.

because you fixed the problem relatively early on in the flowering cycle.  If you would have budded your plants out at the lower temp throughout the entire grow you might have had different results.

Quote:

It would be useful if there was a clearer distinction between ideal conditions and still ok conditions. It's as important to know what happens when you move away from ideal conditions as to know what ideal conditions are.

Actually there really is a set of optimal and ideal conditions.  Fuck, im not home, but jorge cervantes did an article in some british cannabis mag not too long ago regarding this.  But the part where he was talking about temperatures was interesting.  Basically he said the higher your temps are the more they work to breathe properly.  Higher temps also affect your bud structure as well.  The hotter it is the fluffier your buds will be.  Plants will also stretch more in higher temps to disperse the heat better (by allowing more airflow between the nodes).  He also charted out the appropriate RH for your plants in the stages of their life cycle.  Personally i don't think humidity is as important as airflow/ventilation and temperature.  But if you wanted to be a stickler about it, there's a chart to follow for that as well.

OPTIMAL TEMPS:

Lights on between 75-78 deg F
Lights off between 70-73 deg F

IDEAL TEMPS:
Lights on between 79-84 deg F
Lights off bewtween 76-79 deg F

WORKABLE TEMPS:
Lights on between 85-90 deg F
Lights off between 82-85 deg F

--------------------

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #52964 - 06/07/08 04:27 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

:thumbup:

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #53032 - 06/07/08 12:45 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Today I made sexing clones from the tops of the mothers. Here are the pics, no time for text right now:

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
    #53183 - 06/07/08 07:10 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Looking Tasty

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #55459 - 06/11/08 10:28 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

day 49

The clones on day 4:

And the mother gene pool on day 49, 4 days after topping. Three leaves show burns at the tips, this was caused by touching a fluorescent tube and isn't a fundamental problem.

Edited by Annom (06/11/08 10:30 AM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #55483 - 06/11/08 10:44 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

looking great!  They seem to be liking the top you did, you planning on training them more?

--------------------

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #55489 - 06/11/08 10:57 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Yes. Everything I do here is the first time though. First time growing from seeds, first time making clones, first time topping. I only have experience with growing flowers from clones :smile:

The plan I have now is as follows,
1. determine sex by the sexing clones or preflowers
2. kill males, keep all healthy females
3. make two clones from every female/mother still in the gene pool
4. grow and flower these clones
5. kill worst mother(s)
6. goto 3. repeat until best 2 mothers remain
7. have two mothers that produce 10-20 clones per 10 weeks, they will grow in the box (90W) seen in this thread

I need some way to create a somewhat horizontal field of small tops that can be placed close to the fluorescence tubes. Not a long plant, but a nice bush :cool:

A scrog and/or training can create this.

I have no experience with training so any advice, tips or links about creating a nice bushy mother are more than welcome!

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #58364 - 06/16/08 06:22 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

The first roots are visible on one clone, through the rockwool, 10 days after cloning. I hope to other clones follow.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #58440 - 06/16/08 11:25 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Keep up the great work.:thumbup:

:sun:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #59970 - 06/18/08 11:37 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

day 56

the sexing clones, now in small containers and on 12/12:

and the mother gene pool:

InvisibleDizz
Skunked Out......
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Oz
    #59975 - 06/18/08 11:56 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Annom said:
Yes. Everything I do here is the first time though. First time growing from seeds, first time making clones, first time topping. I only have experience with growing flowers from clones :smile:

Good work! im liking these updates

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: From Seeds to Mother [Re: Dizz]
    #59990 - 06/18/08 12:41 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

look at those roots! :eek::awesome:

don't forget that root-ability would be a good trait to consider in your selection of a mother plant.

there is one mother that stands out, seemingly phenotypically different than the rest, in the bird's-eye shot, far right in the middle.  different color and much broader leaves.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineGanoderma
Re: From Seeds to Mother [Re: Yrat]
    #60009 - 06/18/08 01:10 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Can you explain teh "cutting to sex" thing? i dont follow that. making cuttings make the plant show faster?

are you veging all those in teh same box?  then keeping a mother in the box and flowering the rest somewhere else?  am i following right?

love the pics, this grow log is killer!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: From Seeds to Mother [Re: Ganoderma]
    #60035 - 06/18/08 01:41 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

cutting to sex means that he either:

a.) Took a cutting then placed the mother into flowering to force sex

b.) took a cutting, rooted it, and placed it into flowering to force sex

It's just a method of determining sex of your plants.  This way you can keep the strain alive and weed out the males earlier then just letting them mature in veg.

--------------------

OfflineGanoderma
    #60559 - 06/18/08 10:08 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

ohhh i gotcha.  thanks.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder