Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleWatermelon
Stranger

Lava rock brand
    #824702 - 03/14/17 09:29 AM (7 years, 16 days ago)

Hello growery-    My 4 15 gallon pots call for 5 gallons of lava rock in each pot.

I did get 6 bags of the quickrete brand below, but im wondering are these even ment to mix in with soil?  The other brand seems a lot better, but i could not find those in bulk.
The quickrete rocks are really big and have been smashing them, but a lot of the time they just turn to dust.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Lava rock brand [Re: Watermelon]
    #824813 - 03/16/17 03:18 AM (7 years, 15 days ago)

Never heard of anyone using lava rock before. Usually its perlite if you want to aerate the soil. Why lava rock?

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #824824 - 03/16/17 11:00 AM (7 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

Watermelon said:
Hello growery-    My 4 15 gallon pots call for 5 gallons of lava rock in each pot.

I did get 6 bags of the quickrete brand below, but im wondering are these even ment to mix in with soil?  The other brand seems a lot better, but i could not find those in bulk.
The quickrete rocks are really big and have been smashing them, but a lot of the time they just turn to dust.

I've used lava rock in place of hydroton in hydro
This was just dixie cups filled with lava rocks.

Just the lava rock from the hardware store. The plants seemed to love it so I'm guessing they would work in soil. Perlite is gonna do the exact same thing and is much lighter in weight.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Lava rock brand [Re: Magash]
    #824829 - 03/16/17 02:39 PM (7 years, 14 days ago)

Hard to tell without seeing product. Many brands esp rocks and sand that are expemsive to ship are often fairly local.

Anyway, does not matter in this case i doubt for intended use. Only thing would be heavy metals perhaps?? But doubt clay pebbles are even tested either..

Do they look like have alot of pore space? Are they similar density or weight to a rock you see normally on the ground or substantially lighter for the size?

I dont know what ur mix is trying to do. If they ment perlite when say lava rock?  Is it just for the bottom to add drainage? Or mix into whole mix? Are u wanting extra minerals in your soil? Or just make it have air and well drained?  Or is it just for a top dressing to protect soil hold in moisture ie like what mulch does?

You may not even need any if dont know why its being used.

Peace

InvisibleWatermelon
Stranger

Re: Lava rock brand [Re: phychotron]
    #824916 - 03/19/17 08:14 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
Never heard of anyone using lava rock before. Usually its perlite if you want to aerate the soil. Why lava rock?

for drainage.

--------------------

InvisibleWatermelon
Stranger

Re: Lava rock brand [Re: Theman]
    #824917 - 03/19/17 08:18 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

Theman said:
Hard to tell without seeing product. Many brands esp rocks and sand that are expemsive to ship are often fairly local.

Anyway, does not matter in this case i doubt for intended use. Only thing would be heavy metals perhaps?? But doubt clay pebbles are even tested either..

Do they look like have alot of pore space? Are they similar density or weight to a rock you see normally on the ground or substantially lighter for the size?

I dont know what ur mix is trying to do. If they ment perlite when say lava rock?  Is it just for the bottom to add drainage? Or mix into whole mix? Are u wanting extra minerals in your soil? Or just make it have air and well drained?  Or is it just for a top dressing to protect soil hold in moisture ie like what mulch does?

You may not even need any if dont know why its being used.

Peace

Should have been more specific.

The mix is 5 gallons of cow manure/mush compost. 5 gallons of lava rock. 5 gallons of peat moss. 1 cup of Epson salt. 2 cups of lime. 3 cups of all purpose tomato fert.
All mixed nice and well.

some have spore and some do not. strange. I smashed them up so they are a variety of sizes. (which would be similar to the ground.)

I was told these are important for the soil. But am afraid the big rocks may block root growth.

Anyways thanks for the input.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#824918 - 03/19/17 10:08 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Ya think its meaning perlite and not actual large rocks :wink: wrong stuff

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Lava rock brand [Re: Theman]
    #824919 - 03/20/17 03:21 AM (7 years, 11 days ago)

I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite,I think it means large rocks, I think it means perlite.

Well guess what assmasters. I think it means large perlite

So suck on that bitches :minigun::lmafo:

:finger::happyweed::finger:

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: Lava rock brand [Re: Magash]
    #824921 - 03/20/17 05:55 AM (7 years, 11 days ago)

lol:whathesaid:

InvisibleWatermelon
Stranger

Re: Lava rock brand [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #824942 - 03/21/17 08:52 AM (7 years, 9 days ago)

N0pe. Im prerty sure if the mix called for "perlite" i would add it.

:cheers:

--------------------

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #824943 - 03/21/17 08:55 AM (7 years, 9 days ago)

You literally have every person on here saying they have never heard of doing this, and that it should be perlite.  You may want to take note

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Lava rock brand [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #824944 - 03/21/17 12:55 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

Perhaps was trying to mimic a chow mix. Maybe lava rock is cheaper in some places?? But if the rock isnt porous likley not what u want.

Lava rocks are typically used in epiphytes or orchids and bonzi. No real need to add to poting mix so wouldnt worry about it.

The mix u have looks very much like it wants perlite. And lava rock u have wont do a whole lot for anything and replacing with perlite will def help ya out.

Offlinekr0nik0
Stranger

Re: Lava rock brand [Re: phychotron]
    #825085 - 03/26/17 11:37 PM (7 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:

It seems that a lot of purist, organic growers on the Front Range (Pueblo, CO. Springs, Denver) prefer to use only lava rock from seedling to harvest. It's been suggested to me far too many times, and I've yet to see any improvements in yield or quality as opposed to good ol' soil (+ perlite is really optional for me), correctly conditioned of course.

In my neck of the woods, the organic grower's groups and I stick, again, to good ol' soil, some mix in perlite.  Make our own weed specific soil by injecting microbial life and fungus into the soil in order to aid good bacterial growth.

Lava rocks are way over rated, IMO. :2cents:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order