Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineNobodyYouKnow
Sometimes not here

Loc: To your south Flag
Old fashioned stem butter.
    #821572 - 11/30/16 06:15 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Hello :wave:, my friend drawde wandered into my journal and asked me to re-post this here. I realise there are better ways to do things and 'stronger' ways to do them but this recipe goes back some 20 years from what I can remember and probably more, save your bud for smoking and check out what we still do with the stem down here...................

It is not so common to hear of people making stem butter these days as they have become a discard-able part of better plants. This is how we used to make the most of our stem and what I still do today for my edibles. This is easy to do with common kitchen equipment and these days it is fairly easy to acquire stem and usually leaf with it.

I use leaf/kiff to make other things but here I will cover using stem only.

Equipment needed;

Gardening snips
Scissors
Large bowl
Scales
Slow cooker or oven set to 95-120C (slow cooker is more ideal and what I use)
Large jug or container (that will fit in your fridge)
Paper Towel
Sharp small knife (I use a 'paring' knife)
*Coffee grinder / blender
*Food safe marker or pen
Chopstick or spoon for stirring
Strainer or stockings or t-shirt (something for separating solid from liquid)

baking paper or wax paper / plastic wrap / freezer bags for storage

*(optional)

Ingredients;

*5oz dried stem
500g unsalted butter

*(don't bother with the big woody thick stuff near the bottom of the plant like at the top right of the pic.)

You can use less butter to make it stronger or more to make it weaker, it depends on how much stem you have and if it was any good or not. You will find the right ratio with experience, my working ratio is usually 5oz/500g. I have made 500g of butter with 3.5oz of stem and it has still worked. the idea is to just cover the stem with butter in liquid form.

I'm going to work with 1.5kg of butter and 15oz of stem. I have chopped it to the minimum you should use (without a blender / grinder).

This ratio is also probably the most you can mix and cook in the slow cooker. I'm going to do 25oz in 2 batches, as you can see this is pushing the limits a bit...

You can add a little bit of water if you need more liquid but don't add too much.

Method;

Weigh out / grab a box and cut up your measurement of dried stem, cut as small as possible use a coffee grinder for best surface area.

Put 500g block of butter in slow cooker and set to low setting, wait for butter to melt - my slow cooker takes about 10-15 mins.

This is about ready...

When butter is all liquid pour in chopped/blended stem and stir so it mixes well.

Place lid on and cook on low for 6-8 hours, stir with your chopstick / spoon occasionally. This can get a bit smelly so I do this near an open window or at the same time as cooking/baking. Depending on your slow cooker you may want to leave it on the 'keep warm' setting. the idea is to keep the butter warm enough and at a liquid for the 6-8 hours. I switch mine between 'low  and 'keep warm' every hour or so.

You can see the stems are pretty spent here....

Strain liquid into jug/container and discard all the solid plant material.

Place jug in refrigerator and leave overnight, the butter will settle on the top of the jug. I like to do another strain or two and put my liquid into something that will be easier to get the butter out from.

After 3 hours in the fridge...

6 hours...

And 12 hours later.....

Use a sharp knife to cut around the edges of the butter and use a spatula to lift your butter out. If you haven't had to add any water there should not be much if any liquid to drain off.

Wipe any of the excess liquid off the bottom of your butter with paper towel and place clean butter onto baking paper. I cut off the brown bits from the edges to clean it up.

Wrap completely in wax or baking paper making sure there is minimal air and it is tightly wrapped. Store in fridge or freezer until needed for cooking.

I like to label my butter with the date it's made so I know how long I can use it for. This butter should last about 1 year in the freezer or about 2 months in the fridge. You can now use your butter in a variety of different recipes, I like to make choc fudge brownies myself but remember to not make them too delicious or you can accidentally eat too many.

As for dosage that is up to you to find out yourself. My last batch was 3.5oz dried stem and of 500g butter which made 2 batches of fudge 32 pieces total, could have been stronger for the hardcore stoners but it was a pretty heavy dose for me. Eating these the first time I would give about 2-3 hours before you know the full effects.

It is easy to forget and eat too many so don't plan on doing much when you test them. As always, if you think you've "overdosed" on weed edibles call a pizza delivery place immediately. Happy baking.

My last batch of stem butter brownies..

Some useful links.

link to the exact brownie recipe I use (I don't use any nuts and you can use 120-250g of your butter if you want to).
measurement conversion
easy baking recipes

Happy to help with any questions but hopefully this shouldn't be too difficult for anyone. :thumbup:

--------------------
Old fashioned stem butter.

Edited by NobodyYouKnow (12/04/16 07:04 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds