Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Tips / Warnings for building a new grow room
    #790418 - 08/21/15 06:13 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Hi guys,

Long time since I've been on these boards - I guess you could say I've been keeping a low profile.

I'm now in a situation where I can build a 9'L x 8'W x 7'H room. I have access to a small window and the house's heating system (chimney) exhaust pipe. There's even a work sink nearby.
I want to frame, drywall, paint and wire this new room for a grow room that includes a small vegetative/mother room and a large flowering room.

I was just curious if anyone can share some tips, essentials, warnings, or anything you wish you'd built into your grow rooms of past and present.

Still undecided:
-size of veg/mom room and flower room
-hydro (never done) or soil
-lighting (wattage & number/layout of lights)

--------------------

It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Tips / Warnings for building a new grow room [Re: ChillWillis] * 1
    #790442 - 08/21/15 10:37 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Airflow, airflow, airflow......Just make sure you build a room that has good airflow threw it. Build a system for raising and lowering the lights. Build a place off of the ground for ballasts. Build window covers that have led lights in them to light the curtains from the inside. You can put those on a timer so it looks like that room gets used normally.
Built in odor control is good idea also.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Loc: Mars
Re: Tips / Warnings for building a new grow room [Re: Magash]
    #790448 - 08/22/15 05:14 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I turned a big room into 2 using a few 2 x 4s and plastic sheets. nothing permanent. even the door is 2 x 4 frame with black plastic.  Also just ran fresh power lines to the room with external conduit...
Receptacles are mounted high on the walls. Ballast on a shelf.
All removable.

--------------------
***Handing someone your life's work....in a single seed = :laugh: ***

HIGHER THAN A GEORGIA PINE

Oeric's Winter Grow Projects

OfflineMof
Male

Re: Tips / Warnings for building a new grow room [Re: oeric mckenna]
    #790460 - 08/22/15 11:05 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Don't plug any large appliances into the prog timer besides the lights you're using, don't stack sockets, remember any decent light can set something on fire, so maybe some mylar from home depot wouldnt be a bad idea.

I don't know how to keep people from peeking in your windows

you can exhaust the heat but dispersing the heat and letting it just leave the house actually is better because then no one will see heat exhaust otherwie maybe keep a thermometer nearby

Edited by Mof (08/22/15 11:08 AM)

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: Tips / Warnings for building a new grow room [Re: Magash]
    #790468 - 08/22/15 02:32 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks all!

Is it necessary to vent air into the room through the window?  In the past I've always used a tent with passive air flow in, and carbon filter exhaust outside the tent in a basement.

This time I was considering using passive air flow into the room. Would the rooms ambient air / air flow through door cracks be sufficient? As I said I'm building this room from scratch in a basement. It's next to the utility room so I have access to my panel for electric. I can also exhaust through the chimney like my heating system does. I can't figure out how I can do carbon filtration and then exhaust out of the house.

--------------------

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: Tips / Warnings for building a new grow room [Re: ChillWillis]
    #790470 - 08/22/15 03:43 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I'm now considering buying grow tents instead of framing, wiring, and dry walling a room with a closet.

I've seen some 10'x10'x7' tents for around $400, and I could get a 2'x4'x5' for around $100. I'm sure this is cheaper and less time consuming BUT I'm concerned that it'll
A) be frustrating to work in
B) incapable of supporting the necessary weight
C) allow air/odor to escape the room into my basement/house
D) not reflect light evenly and/or allow light to escape
E) be more difficult to ventilate

any suggestions on this matter?

--------------------

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Loc: Mars
Re: Tips / Warnings for building a new grow room [Re: ChillWillis] * 2
    #790492 - 08/22/15 07:14 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

No idea... ive never used a tent nor do I understand the need for one.. roll of plastic is like 20 bucks.

--------------------
***Handing someone your life's work....in a single seed = :laugh: ***

HIGHER THAN A GEORGIA PINE

Oeric's Winter Grow Projects

OfflineDioniliX
Stranger
Re: Tips / Warnings for building a new grow room [Re: oeric mckenna]
    #793058 - 09/09/15 12:23 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

oeric mckenna said:
No idea... ive never used a tent nor do I understand the need for one.. roll of plastic is like 20 bucks.

Personally I Prefer tents because its easier to maintain a cleaner environment, more so cleaner airflow (filters on exhaust AND INTAKE!) 

In my 8x4x7 Tent there is a dedicated exhaust fan on the carbon filter, an intake an exhaust system for the two 1000whps with its own fan system is separate from the tents air flow, and then a filtered intake that matches the carbon filters fan, the system maintains optimal temps, and perfect air flow (one must have a fan to move air across the plants but that's obvious.

This method in combination with my aeroponics (lowpressure) has kept me bug free 100% with perfect temps and air movement.

In a few weeks i'll make a post about the rooms i've built for my self with pictures and such.

OP:
It is essential that went building a room you take into consideration how sealed it is, bugs are a motherfucker and having to treat them or having them at all will devalue your stuff and definitely make it not fit for medical consumption. You dont want bugs in your oxy do you?

Also, big thing and i see every one is talking about is air flow, you need lots, it would help tremendously if you told us what kind/wattage and how many lights your planning to run.

Another thing to keep in mind is drainage and power, are there places you can PROPERLY mount your ballast timers ect... above waste level..., also, if there is a massive spill in the area are you going to be able to contain it? or will is destroyed the floor and everything around you?  It is also very important to cleanly run wires, most people just drape them all over the place and that's asking for an electrical fire

big thing soo, is check the area for any existing mold and kill it, i like to wipe everything down with bleach and 90% iso alcohol before i even set up, then after, then wipe down all equipment before it enters your grow space

last, IF your using a shit ton of lighting it is highly recommended you switch to 220v it will save you some cash in the long run ime

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds