Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

hydroponic marijuana "hydro"
    #759113 - 11/26/14 07:23 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

In the late 90s hydro was huge. I knew a couple of guys that ran a hydroponic system and I also always saw the damn systems being sold at head shops. Pretty soon the word "hydro" became a household name for quality bud.

Fast forward 15 years and I'm still hearing the word "hydro" being used to describe more potent buds, but surely all these new buds/ strains cannot be grown hydroponically...

Is the word "hydro" only used now by uneducated :tard: and people who sell to the uneducated :tard: or are buds still being used in, what seems to me, outdated growing techniques?

Anyone care to shed some light?

Honestly, people that use the word constantly bug the fuck out of me. Shit, for years I argued with people in trying to explain the difference. What the fuck do I know, though... :shrug:

--------------------
Learning to love life by living through loss and mistakes
Lessons learned then gradually surfacing, Letting go, stripping naked to scream
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
I'm a retarded, disfigured clown
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
I'm an equal being of no race, or color, a hallucination if you will
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleP-O

Re: hydroponic marijuana "hydro" [Re: poor boy]
    #759115 - 11/26/14 07:24 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

i hear rappers still saying the smoke "DRO"

i figure it means "indoor" instead of outdoor shwag

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: hydroponic marijuana "hydro" [Re: P-O]
    #759116 - 11/26/14 07:26 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Who knows what they think anymore. Its all a fucking sales gimmick. All I know is that hydro, back then, was bud grown inside using a special water system.

--------------------
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

Invisiblevinsue
GRAND OLD FART
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
    #759131 - 11/26/14 08:15 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

All my shrooms are hydro, brah.
Grown by the GD family.:yesnod:

I'm way out of the loop. I haven't heard 'hydro' since like the 90's or even before.

I remember back when  the buzz word for dealers was sinsemilla.
I think that got started from a Cheech and Chong bit.
:cheech::chong: . . . :peace:

--------------------
" One toke over the line...

InvisibleGBurger717
Let me be me! I luv me some me!
Male

Loc: USA, East of Mississippi Flag
Re: hydroponic marijuana "hydro" [Re: vinsue]
    #759133 - 11/26/14 08:18 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

In Philly you still got growers usein "hydro" systems and selling it as such. Other parts of the state the word never comes up. "Dro" was real big back in the late 90s and people spent stupid money on it.

--------------------
"If only one party supports a bill, it's probably not a very good bill. If both parties support it, you can be sure that however good it seems on the surface, under the covers it's worse than you could possibly imagine" - Me myself and I 08-02-12

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty - Jefferson

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Jefferson

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: hydroponic marijuana "hydro" [Re: GBurger717]
    #759143 - 11/26/14 08:53 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Here in south texas its still used, the word anyway. You got guys spending 20.00 a g just cause they heard the word dro.

:facepalm:

--------------------

Offlineshr00000oooooms
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #759182 - 11/26/14 12:27 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I thought it was only used by highschool kids who didn't know any better?
Such as kush and things like that, honestly if I hear shit like that, I try not to buy from that person. Good weed needs no advertising.

(I'm in a black market state, so if I wasn't I would probably have a different attitude on those words.)

Edited by shr00000oooooms (11/26/14 12:27 PM)

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: hydroponic marijuana "hydro" [Re: shr00000oooooms]
    #759190 - 11/26/14 12:58 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

we are a black market too and all i ever hear is hydro and kush and blah blah blah...

--------------------

InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bat Country Flag
    #759212 - 11/26/14 01:25 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

poor boy said:
Fast forward 15 years and I'm still hearing the word "hydro" being used to describe more potent buds, but surely all these new buds/ strains cannot be grown hydroponically...

Is the word "hydro" only used now by uneducated :tard: and people who sell to the uneducated :tard: or are buds still being used in, what seems to me, outdated growing techniques?

Anyone care to shed some light?

Actually from what I see more and more growers are jumping into hydroponics, in my circle of dedicated grower friends, theres 5 of us and 3 exclusively run hydro setups. Then theres me and my other buddy growing in soil but hes breaking into hydro for cloning so I bet he will ditch the soil soon. I myself will set up a hydro system when I have room for both hydro and soil but as long as I have space for only one I will grow soil because I have more fun doing so.

I think in the recreational cannabis scene the word "hydro" still refers to hydroponically grown buds. Around me youve always been able to get 5 kinds essentially; hydro, medical, indoor, and outdoor, and KUSH.
The hydro is obvious, thats hydroponically grown weed, always dope as fuck.
The medical could be either hydro or soil grown but was always dope as fucking fuck cuz it came from a dispensary or educated medical grower.
The indoor stuff amateur soil grown indoors.
The outdoor stuff was amateur grown outdoors.
The kush... Could be indoor, outdoor, good, bad, weird looking etc it didnt matter, you said you had kush it sold at top dollar and faster than you could bag it. Why? No fucking clue, hightimes hype probably. It was never anything special.

So while the words "hydro", "Kush", and "medical" became synonymous with excellent quality buds to the less educated buyers who im sure didnt really know the difference. But in general terms I think the word "hydro" definitely still applies to hydroponically grown weed for the vast majority of people.

Quote:

poor boy said:
we are a black market too and all i ever hear is hydro and kush and blah blah blah...

This is the big one, KUSH. People lose their fucking shit for kush. I literally know people who buy nothing but kush and that is absolutely a marketing gimmic. Kush plants are called such because they have genetics originating in the Hindu Kush region near pakistan or some shit. Sorta the same way champagne made outside of champagne france isnt "real" champagne; Kush grown outside of the Hindu Kush region is not "real" kush, it just gets its genetics from strains local to that region. Kush is not necessarily supperior in any way either just because its "kush".

--------------------
* Die For Your Government *

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: hydroponic marijuana "hydro" [Re: Zombi3]
    #759214 - 11/26/14 01:26 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

i was talking to mag and he switched up his strain only cause snoop came out with a song that mentioned kush.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#759224 - 11/26/14 01:31 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

If people think the words are gonna help sell their weed then they get stuck to it. Some areas it's the word "hydro" some areas its the word "chronic" then in some areas every bud is "kush". Those are areas where there in no medical or laws that allow smoking. Now in the areas that allow smoking it's the same damn thing just a little more deep now instead of everything  has OG attached to it to say that there is OG Kush in it. Now a year and half ago it was "purple". Everything was "purple kush. purple og, purple berry". Then came the time of the "Cookies". Everything had some kind of "Girl Scout Cookies" in them, "platinum Cookies, phantom cookies" and so on.

Like everything else it's all a game. :growingweed:

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
Re: hydroponic marijuana "hydro" [Re: Magash]
    #759227 - 11/26/14 01:33 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

In my experience only nigs use the word hydro and it's used to describe weed that isn't mids or shwag.

The other times i've heard it used are by people who actually know what they are talking about and it's weed grown through hydroponic systems.

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
Re: hydroponic marijuana "hydro" [Re: still beLIEve]
    #759232 - 11/26/14 01:36 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I have educated plenty of people about hydro/sensi words. Around here it is usually refered to as either chronic, in my home town, or just weed at home. It is usually hard to find bad weed where I live.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#759233 - 11/26/14 01:37 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
If people think the words are gonna help sell their weed then they get stuck to it. Some areas it's the word "hydro" some areas its the word "chronic" then in some areas every bud is "kush". Those are areas where there in no medical or laws that allow smoking. Now in the areas that allow smoking it's the same damn thing just a little more deep now instead of everything  has OG attached to it to say that there is OG Kush in it. Now a year and half ago it was "purple". Everything was "purple kush. purple og, purple berry". Then came the time of the "Cookies". Everything had some kind of "Girl Scout Cookies" in them, "platinum Cookies, phantom cookies" and so on.

Like everything else it's all a game. :growingweed:

whatever brings in the cash though. i still think mag is the coolest fucker on here. i told him they should make a movie about his story and i could play his 80s part, but he wasnt having it.

:shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery

Re: hydroponic marijuana "hydro" [Re: poor boy] * 2
    #759237 - 11/26/14 01:40 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Just got here so I dont knwo magesh yet but reading through posts he seems like a boss, hes got a lot in the cultivation sub forum so I see his posts often :thumbup:
Definitely looks like a skilled grower :awesomenod:

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#759239 - 11/26/14 01:41 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

FOBW

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#759241 - 11/26/14 01:41 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I can't have movie made about my story cause that would be saying that my story is over and ready to be told. I think you have to die for that to happen. :wink:

Thanks for the comment. :heart::awetongue:

Now the real strains:

The thing is true killer strains stand the test of time. OG Kush, Granddaddy Purple, Erkle, all stand the test of time. Many many many strains hit the market and are the greatest thing to hit the planet but after a few months they disappear. "Blue Dot, Snow Cap, Blue Dream", are all strains that are still around but yo don't hear about them like you use to. These strains that can't stand up to time are the fad strains and there are a million of them.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery

#759243 - 11/26/14 01:42 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

You use too many acronyms bro, no clue what that means

--------------------

InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery

#759247 - 11/26/14 01:44 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Whats your thoughts on blue dream? I can get clones right now from a great grower who says it has been one of his favorite strains to work with so far. i considered get clones for my next rip.

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#759248 - 11/26/14 01:44 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

:facepalm:

blue dream was always good... i use to get bud from this one cat that always carried "white widow", shit was always the strongest.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder