Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBubbaGump
Stranger

power usage question
    #754630 - 10/26/14 12:24 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this, but I wanted to ask if anyone knows a rough estimate of wht it would cost to run 4 1000 watt hps lights, 12 hours a day.And would this be enough to draw attention?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: power usage question [Re: BubbaGump]
    #754631 - 10/26/14 12:36 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Depends on the rates in your area. That is enough power to draw attention if you're in a non medical state. Here they give discounts for medical growers.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineBubbaGump
Stranger

Re: power usage question [Re: Magash]
    #754632 - 10/26/14 12:40 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I was using 2 1000 watters on 24/7 for veg, and figured using 4 1000 watters on 12/12 would be the same? And I have a ac and some small fans running. Other than that no other electricty is being used there

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #754634 - 10/26/14 12:49 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Check out my Cost Calculator on this other page, it will give you a complete cost breakdown
http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/754472

Otherwise, 1000w X 4 X 12 hours = 36000w-h. 36 kw-h per day. Multiply that by the cost per Kw-H on your power bill.

Electricity ranges from 6 to 40 cents per kw-h, depending on where you live. When you draw a lot of electricity you end up getting into the next price tier. I pay ~7 cents for the first 600kw-h, ~9 cents for the next 600kw-h. Summer time can make those price tiers come after less electricity, say 350kw-h instead of 600kw-h at rate 2. I've only been into rate 3 once when my faucet was leaking hot water, things get pricey real fast when you get into those higher price tiers.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineBubbaGump
Stranger

Re: power usage question [Re: phychotron]
    #754636 - 10/26/14 02:55 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not sure what normal electric bills are normally for a 4bedroom house, but I'm just hoping a electric bill of say $250-300 a month doesn't set off any redflags. Or that if the electric company can see the patern of usage per day? Someone told me that if I rewire to 220 instead of 110 wire, that it won't pull as much energy is that true? I already had to switch the breakers from 15 to 30 because the lights kept flipping the breaker causing the lights to go out. Not good

Offlinewebster10

#754646 - 10/26/14 07:41 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Depends on the rates in your area. That is enough power to draw attention if you're in a non medical state. Here they give discounts for medical growers.

What will LEO do if your power usage draws attention? And do you think about 200w of t5 and 400w hps would raise suspicion? I imagine it's pretty hard to get caught if you don't sell or tell.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: power usage question [Re: webster10]
    #754652 - 10/26/14 09:12 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

webster10 said:
Quote:

Magash said:

What will LEO do if your power usage draws attention? And do you think about 200w of t5 and 400w hps would raise suspicion? I imagine it's pretty hard to get caught if you don't sell or tell.

That won't draw any attention. Hell you'll be lucky if that even raises the bill.

Put it this way for the last few months with all the seed projects I'm at over $600 a month just at this grow and they don't give a shit. I'm sure this is becoming common around the country nowadays. My grows are all spread out and I'm not sure they need to be anymore.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Offlinewebster10

#754687 - 10/26/14 11:10 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the reassurance, Magash. You are always a voice of reason and knowledge around here.

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: power usage question [Re: webster10]
    #754705 - 10/26/14 02:41 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Does anyone know the exact situation with the power companies and reporting people for high power usage? Like is there any official policy to contact the authorities for abnormally high power usage?  I feel like it only stands to hurt their profits to be concerned with excessive power consumption. I'm thinking maybe meter readers are just tipping off the authorities for $, and the power company doesn't check unless asked to check.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: power usage question [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #754708 - 10/26/14 02:48 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Midgetpawn said:
Does anyone know the exact situation with the power companies and reporting people for high power usage? Like is there any official policy to contact the authorities for abnormally high power usage?  I feel like it only stands to hurt their profits to be concerned with excessive power consumption. I'm thinking maybe meter readers are just tipping off the authorities for $, and the power company doesn't check unless asked to check.

It depends on where you are located. Some of the Southern States are pretty harsh still.

--------------------

OfflineBubbaGump
Stranger

#754751 - 10/26/14 08:04 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I'm running 4 1000 watt hps lights, about 10 t5s, 4 inline fans, 3 regular fans, ac, timers, pumps, heating mats. This is why I worry. This isn't a massive grow but isn't a closet grow either. I have a entire house specifically for this grow

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #754761 - 10/26/14 11:11 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Get my spreadsheet/calculator and input your power usage and rate and it will tell you exactly how much it will cost.

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/754472

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder