Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineerrolscool
Stranger

Help with some beautiful outdoor MMJ
    #745362 - 08/27/14 12:26 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

These plants are all sativas all with some small issues, but big stinky buds!
I had some issues with some spider mites that I took care of with neem oil concentrate and homemade aloe juice (as well as some ladybugs later down the road,but its so hot & dry I think they ate their fill and left) the pests have seemed to have all but vanished (I think).

Edit:
Used my own bat guano tea for veg, now im mostly using Fox Farms big bloom because I feel the tiger may be a bit strong and until I figure out what is going on with #1 especially until I solve this im going to stick with lighter nutes.

Problem #1
-Plant #1 went into flower earlier than the others, and now there seems to be dieing buds towards the bottom of the plant.

However the top cola looks great

Problem #2
Plant #2
Any guidance on these leaves, its about week 2 of flower.

Problem #3
Plant #3 (my favorite so far, such a beauty, besides this tiny problem I spotted this morning)
Here she is:

This is the issue, is it powdery mildew or is it from the neem? It hasnt seemed to spread much so I think I can take care of it.

--------------------
-Errol

Edited by errolscool (08/27/14 12:28 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help with some beautiful outdoor MMJ [Re: errolscool]
    #745365 - 08/27/14 01:20 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Offlineerrolscool
Stranger

Re: Help with some beautiful outdoor MMJ [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #745378 - 08/27/14 03:35 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
Seed
2. How old are your plants?
Planted mid-march, early april
3. How tall are your plants?
4-5 feet tall
4. What size containers are they planted in?
Plant 1 is in what I think to be a 3 or 4 gallon (repurposed pot), Plant 2 is in the ground,and Plant 3 is in a 5 gallon (all guesstimates)
5. What is your soil mix?
Kellog organic soil, some perlite, some coco coir, some bat guano, and some bone meal
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use and how much you give per watering?
Try to water every other day, using the garden hose, enough to try and drench the plants.
7. What is the pH of your water?
Tested at 7
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?
Ive been using Fox Farms Big Bloom and have been weary of using the Tiger Bloom because I fear plant 1 may be experiencing nute burn.
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
I did late in veg with neem oil+ home juiced aloe vera to take care of mites
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
N/A outdoor
11. How close are your lights to the plants?
N/A outdoor
12. What size is your grow space in square feet?
N/A outdoor
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?
It averages high eighties,low nineties with very low humidity
14. What is the pH of the soil?
From doing ph comparisons between water used to water and runoff id say around 6.5
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
Mites but I took care of them (fingers crossed)
16. How much experience do you have growing?
This is my first "true" outdoor grow, I have had a couple small plants with not great results.

--------------------
-Errol

Offlineerrolscool
Stranger

#745379 - 08/27/14 03:40 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I believe on plant 3 it was powdery mildew, so I moved the plant out into a sunny and breezier spot than crammed up next to the pool pump.
I made sure to trim the yellowing leaves and any leaves I saw mildew on, scarilly enough some of the nug leaves had white on them so they had to go.
Im going to try to do the baking soda trick tonight because isnt it too late to use neem in the flowering cycle and wouldnt baking soda work better?

Luckily I caught it early so it doesnt effect my harvest.

--------------------
-Errol

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #745380 - 08/27/14 04:04 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Well your container size is WAY too small for the size of your plants.  I would increase the amount of nutrients you are using.  Yellowing of the leaves during flowering is fairly typical.  You are using less nitrogen, and big bud has barely any nutrients in it at all.  Give it some of the Tiger Bloom.

Pic one looks like bud rot.  Usually cause by bugs. 

Last pics looks like powdery mildew.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinewebster10

#745381 - 08/27/14 04:04 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Problem 3 looks like a nitrogen defficiency. It's leaves are yellowing from the bottom up which is a classic sign. If the soil pH is actually 6.5 as you claim then I'm pretty confident it's an N def. Tiger bloom has a bit of N (2%) so that could be used. That's from looking at your full picture of the plant. I'm not sure what that little bit of powder around that bud is.
Problem number 2 looks like a potassium defficiency to me. The random "burnt" look on the edges of the leaves and "burnt" looking tips and a bit of yellowing is consitant with a potassium def.
And lastly I'm very sorry to say but problem number one looks a lot like how my plant looked when it got bud rot. Yours just looks like it's in the early stages. I'd try to remove affected areas but be careful, bud rot is very contagious.

None of these explanations are definite. You should keep searching on information about sick plants and see if any pics line up with yours.

Big bloom is a very weak nutrient and is really only used as a supplement. This might be part of your problem because this is an extremely weak nutrient and your plants look like they need some nutes. I would start applying tiger bloom every 3rd watering but start light. Maybe 2-5mL a gallon at first.

Offlinewebster10

Re: Help with some beautiful outdoor MMJ [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #745382 - 08/27/14 04:05 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Beat me to it, as usual :rofl: :thumbup:

Offlineerrolscool
Stranger

#745383 - 08/27/14 04:19 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Hawksresurrection said:
Well your container size is WAY too small for the size of your plants.  I would increase the amount of nutrients you are using.  Yellowing of the leaves during flowering is fairly typical.  You are using less nitrogen, and big bud has barely any nutrients in it at all.  Give it some of the Tiger Bloom.

Pic one looks like bud rot.  Usually cause by bugs. 

Last pics looks like powdery mildew.

So should I continue a neem regimen on plant numero uno?
It seems the tops arent affected at all, no more sign of mites. Is it mites that casuse that kind of bud rot.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

--------------------
-Errol

Offlinewebster10

#745387 - 08/27/14 04:42 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

No don't use neem. Any insecticide used on buds is not a good idea unless it's needed. Bud rot is not caused by mites and is caused by a high humidity combined with a lack of airflow. If anything, spraying neem on affected areas would temporarily increase humidity and exacerbate the problem. Just remove affected areas and hope for the best.

InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Help with some beautiful outdoor MMJ [Re: webster10] * 1
    #745434 - 08/27/14 09:19 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

webster10 said:
Bud rot is not caused by mites and is caused by a high humidity combined with a lack of airflow.

My guess is it's from caterpillars. I sincerely doubt it's from lack of airflow considering the plants are outdoors.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help with some beautiful outdoor MMJ [Re: Mycophile]
    #745444 - 08/27/14 10:23 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

webster10 said:
No don't use neem. Any insecticide used on buds is not a good idea unless it's needed. Bud rot is not caused by mites and is caused by a high humidity combined with a lack of airflow. If anything, spraying neem on affected areas would temporarily increase humidity and exacerbate the problem. Just remove affected areas and hope for the best.

Quote:

Mycophile said:
Quote:

webster10 said:
Bud rot is not caused by mites and is caused by a high humidity combined with a lack of airflow.

My guess is it's from caterpillars. I sincerely doubt it's from lack of airflow considering the plants are outdoors.

Both of these

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlineerrolscool
Stranger

#745463 - 08/28/14 08:00 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Well I butchered #1 cutting out the majority of the brown.
I will get you pictures later today, it would be unfortunate if I didnt have to butcher it but I have a couple more ladies and the main colas of #1 are looking good.

What is a solution for catepillars? Will they quickly spread to the other plants? They are easily 2-3 meters apart

--------------------
-Errol

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

#745469 - 08/28/14 08:16 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

errolscool said:
I believe on plant 3 it was powdery mildew, so I moved the plant out into a sunny and breezier spot than crammed up next to the pool pump.
I made sure to trim the yellowing leaves and any leaves I saw mildew on, scarilly enough some of the nug leaves had white on them so they had to go.
Im going to try to do the baking soda trick tonight because isnt it too late to use neem in the flowering cycle and wouldnt baking soda work better?

Luckily I caught it early so it doesnt effect my harvest.

Sorry to say, IMO you are basically screwed, and making your problem worse by trying to fix it.

The bud rot is even worse than the powdery mildew, and you have both.  Spraying any water on your plants that doesn't dry right away can only make things worse.  The powdery mildew starts inside your plant and by the time you see evidence on your leaves, you are already done.  It's a systemic, and nothing you do to prune it off will make a bit of difference, it's inside your plant with no way to kill it.

So, your harvest has been affected, and will be adversely affected. 

The bud rot in particular is very bad to smoke.  Very bad.

The powdery mildew can be sort of controlled.  Throw away your Neem, period.  That shit is total garbage both in veg, where it "should" be used, and in harvest, where it should never be used.  It's crap.  Diluted rosemary oil would have probably worked, but too late now and apparently the mites are gone.  Azamax is the only neem product worth considering, heavily diluted with a few drops of liquid soap, to control aphids etc. but I don't think would likely work on spider mites.

Anyway, now you are apparently considering baking soda.  Truly bad idea, yes the internet has a lot of them.  Potassium bicarbonate, perhaps, maybe.  But sodium?  No.

Hydrogen peroxide, diluted FOOD GRADE, maybe another possibility for the PM.  It won't leave a residue, at least, like every other possibility.  And besides, it's inside your plant.  Spraying ANY water only makes it grow faster on the outside.  Keep it dry, keep ventilation up.

Well best wishes.

Offlinewebster10

Re: Help with some beautiful outdoor MMJ [Re: GoonerHeClips]
    #745474 - 08/28/14 09:19 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry to say OP, but :whathesaid: is pretty spot on. The bud rot really is a bitch and could easily spread to the other plants. I've heard of leaving open dishes of beer around your plants to trap slugs but idk if it'll work for catapillars. I think I've read somewhere some copper wire wrapped lightly around the first few inches of stem deters some sort of bug, maybe catapillars. Be sure not to wrap to too tight (you could cut off flow of nutes and water)

InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Help with some beautiful outdoor MMJ [Re: webster10]
    #745535 - 08/28/14 09:41 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

webster10 said:
I've heard of leaving open dishes of beer around your plants to trap slugs but idk if it'll work for catapillars.

No it won't. Caterpillars don't crawl on the ground to reach plants. Their eggs are layed and hatched on the plant.

Offlinewebster10

Re: Help with some beautiful outdoor MMJ [Re: Mycophile]
    #745560 - 08/29/14 04:26 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I really wasn't sure which pest that copper wire thing was for. Then sorry OP, I'm all out of suggestions. Good luck though and keep your head held high. My plant getting bud rot was demoralizing

Offlineerrolscool
Stranger

Re: Help with some beautiful outdoor MMJ [Re: webster10]
    #745636 - 08/29/14 06:21 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Im letting #3 out of its little corner and out into the sun and wind!

Im cut back all the bud rot on plant 1 and am just going to harvest.
Im thinking of using the rotted colas and cutting off the worst and making edibles look at this thread.
Bud rot info
Quote:

best thing to do with moldy bud (besides compost) is edibles. why? because unless you have aspergillus (black mold) most molds are actually ok to eat.
botrytis, the grey mold usually responsible for rot, is called noble mold in winemaking, because it is used to make very top end wines....that are all full of botrytis. there are a number of cheeses that contain botrytis spores as well.

--------------------
-Errol

Edited by errolscool (08/29/14 06:22 PM)

Offlineerrolscool
Stranger

#745637 - 08/29/14 06:30 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Im going to look now for catepillars, I think I spotted one on #3

Can I use neem via the soil to not contribute to the poowdery mildew and still kill the catepillars?

--------------------
-Errol

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

#745639 - 08/29/14 06:55 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

errolscool said:
Im going to look now for catepillars, I think I spotted one on #3

Can I use neem via the soil to not contribute to the poowdery mildew and still kill the catepillars?

Don't you dare water that crap in your soil.  God damn it.

I must confess I did it once thinking it would kill fungal gnat larvae.  It fucking killed my beautiful plant.

Just say NO to NEEM!

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

#745641 - 08/29/14 07:05 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

errolscool said:
Im letting #3 out of its little corner and out into the sun and wind!

Im cut back all the bud rot on plant 1 and am just going to harvest.
Im thinking of using the rotted colas and cutting off the worst and making edibles look at this thread.
Bud rot info
Quote:

best thing to do with moldy bud (besides compost) is edibles. why? because unless you have aspergillus (black mold) most molds are actually ok to eat.
botrytis, the grey mold usually responsible for rot, is called noble mold in winemaking, because it is used to make very top end wines....that are all full of botrytis. there are a number of cheeses that contain botrytis spores as well.

It's called the "noble rot" from what I remember.  It attacks the grape and makes it dry out.  The resulting wines are much higher in sugar because of the dessication.  Yippee four syllable word.

Anyway, you may be fine making edibles with them but don't quote me on it.  Makes sense though.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures