Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Light Training?
    #718819 - 03/02/14 12:35 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I was browsing through old threads looking up stuff about mutations since I have a few weirdo seedlings (can take pics if you want em, they're fucking gnarly), and I came across a thread where a guy had a side branch shoot off sideways for seemingly no particular reason.  Seems the actual reason may have been that for that time (it was on the windowsill) that the light may have been strongest from the side, causing it to branch out that way, forming a new apical tip.

Now, given this, would it be possible to train parts of the plant by keeping them under the HID lamp for general lighting, but also have some CFLs hitting them on the sides, or maybe specifically have my reflector tilt to one side so the light is coming from an angle, and keep rotating the plants, scrap the CFLs altogether?  You could even use pieces of foil or wax paper or something to sort of block off the concentrated light from some parts of the plants vs others, hopefully forcing them to create a new apical tip there, just as they would from being bent out of the way. 

Using moving lights as a method of training plants without causing any stress at all seems like a preferable method if it were only more feasible.  If there were an easy way to make mini like.. branch covers/reflectors can slide over them to shield/focus the light onto that branch specifically...

Any thoughts on this?  I didn't see any other discussion on that other than some light-positioning questions that didn't really touch on apical tips.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Light Training? [Re: Inocuole]
    #718826 - 03/02/14 06:31 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

it seems a bit labor intensive but it could work for you if you have the space.

Personally I'd rather physically train my plants.  In veg I'm constantly topping and removing unwanted branches until they hit the flower room.  The plants growth never stunts and they aren't stressed :shrug:

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

Offlinegrod31
Ranger
 User Gallery

Re: Light Training? [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #718839 - 03/02/14 09:35 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

light training is real and it happens in nature all of the time.
But like farmer joe says way to labor intensive for our practice with plenty of other preferable  methods.
If you can put more lights then just do it no matter what reason.

--------------------
DO NOT USE mushmagic.com- THEY LIE AND SELL DRUGS TO CHILDREN :thumbdown:
--------------------------------------------------
Back the tape up.  I need it again!
Let it roll!  Just as high as the fucker can go! 
And when it comes to that fantastic note
where the rabbit bites its own head off,
I want you to THROW THAT FUCKING
RADIO INTO THE TUB WITH ME!
    Not me.  It would blast you through
the wall stone dead in ten seconds and they'd make me explain.

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Light Training? [Re: grod31]
    #718917 - 03/02/14 02:17 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Makes sense.  With how heavy the reflector is it wouldn't be worth it, for sure.  I already got pipe cleaners to tie em down with anyway.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #718918 - 03/02/14 02:18 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Well that will work when they're seedlings I guess.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Light Training? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #718932 - 03/02/14 02:41 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

What, the pipe cleaners?  Not strong enough?  Yeah, I'll need something a little bit longer I think, or maybe I can just string them together, but  I had planned on winding them into loops, kind of, to hold the branches.  They're really just wires, fuzziness aside. I've seen people using twist ties and shit.

Though admittedly the shielded coat hanger thickness wire looks the best for LST.

I'll be able to figure something out either way, I'm generally decent with turning junk into functional stuff.

But training seedlings seems risky.  I've got some with pretty strong stems but they're all thin still.  They'd probably snap.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #718942 - 03/02/14 03:08 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Light Training? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #718973 - 03/02/14 03:49 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

God damn it I was at Lowe's just a second ago getting more perlite, could've picked some of that shit up probably.

One of the bags was like 2x as heavy as the others, kinda wondering how it'll be different when I actually open them all up.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order