Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Seedling Issues
    #716406 - 02/20/14 12:56 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I have a good few seedlings going at the moment in various stages and as of right now I have noticed issues with two of them that I would like to "nip in the bud" so to speak.  I think a third one might be exhibiting some of the same symptoms as plant 1, but I assume if I can fix one I can fix the other.

That being said, this is my first grow, I was only hoping it'd take me longer to need to come into here.  But alas, I have no idea what I'm doing.

1. Are you growing from seed or clones? seed
2. How old are your plants? Coming up on 3 weeks
3. How tall are your plants? Not counting what I've buried, probably only 5-6" tall at most.
4. What type of hydro system are you using? Hempy buckets, about 4:1 perlite to verm.
5. What brand/type of nutrients are you using? Fox farm trio (so only grow big hydro in miniscule amounts, and a little squirt of diluted big bloom)
6. What is the Ph of your nutrient solution? Between 5.5 and 6.5.  I'm using a testing kit with the drops, no digital meter yet unfortunately.  I let it go a little bit lower and higher to try to discourage lockout, while keeping it in overall range.
7. What is the PPM/EC of your tap water? That, I do not know.  I'm winging it with no ppm meter right now, and just plan on trying to flush out the medium when I'm unsure about runoff contents.  I use filtered tap water so it's a little bit lower than most.
8. What is the PPM/EC of your nutrient solution? See above.
9. What is the temperature of your nutrient solution? Never lower than 69 F, never higher than 72 F.
10. Does your PPM/EC show a rise or fall when you do your daily PPM check? I wish I knew.
11. Does your pH show a rise or fall when you do your daily check?  Not especially.  I test the runoff that I get if I tilt my cup over and get the res to drain slightly, seems on target.
12. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?  I was lightly misting them for some reason at first, but I stopped doing that once I realized it was mostly dumb.  The water was pH'd as well so nothing other than water + ph down.
13. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")  One 1000W MH
14. How close are your lights to the plants? Not very close, since they're seedlings I thought it best to keep them away from the bulk of the light, since the first 6-12 inches from the reflector carry a bit of heat.  They're probably 2-3 feet total from the light.
15. What size is your grow space in square feet? 4l x 4w x 7h approximately
16. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?  Don't have a guage yet but I've been checking the temp regularly, Seems to be hanging around 75-80, never really higher.  Humidity is pretty low, there's a lot of air circulation going on.  No exact numbers but I'd easily guess lower than 50% for sure.  Mushroom experience has lead me to get a good feel for taste-testing the air.
17. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? Nope.
18. How much experience do you have growing?  Virtually none other than some laughable failures as a teenager.  First serious attempt.

Alrighty and here's your pictures, because asking questions without them is a terrible crapshoot.

Plant 1:  Only problem I've noticed on this one is slightly burnt tips, you can see it just barely starting to happen.  This is happening at an even smaller degree to another plant but this one is the best example.  I noticed these burnt tips yesterday evening and I transplanted it into a new container with new perlite/verm and a new fresh rez of light nute water, ph'd about 6.0.  (It's worth mentioning that this is not WHY I transplanted it, I saw some root at the drain hole in a smaller cup, so I moved it to a 'large' polystyrene cup.  The roots were pretty gorgeous so it seemed fine there, was already rooting along the initial stem that I buried). So, having translplanted into new medium, I could have already fixed this, but only time will tell, still wanted to run it by you guys.

This is the same plant, but at an angle where you can clearly see that it's new growth is doing pretty much just fine, so we can say that the problem definitely exists on existing growth rather than new growth.

This is what I'll call plant 2 for the sake of identification.  They're all bag seed and will probably all end up being different genetics so I figure I can identify them by better factors later on in their lives.  This is a different kind of leaf burning and I don't think that it's at all the same issue as plant 1.  The leaflets have kind of curled under a little bit and are exhibiting some darker green, and sort of a weird, glazed look.  This is happening on the same leaf set on both sides of the plant, in almost exactly the same way.

This one makes me uncomfortable.  I see plant 1 and I'm like "well it's either nute burn or phosphorus deficiency", both of which are easy to fix with a ph/nutrient reset.  I don't THINK I'm giving too much nutes, but it's a possibility.  I definitely could've been overwatering for a while and that may have taken a toll somehow.  This one, though, (plant 2), I  feel could be root rot or some kind of mold or, who the hell knows, that's why I'm here, heh.

I've been doling out nutes in waterings by loading up my old empty spore syringes with a diluted concentrate of the nute liquid (just 2:1 water to nutes, more or less) and only putting like half a ml of the already diluted concentrate into my actual watering container, then I ph it, make sure everything's gravy, and water.  Any problem with this?  I'm not taking 100% exact measurements, I'm just way way undershooting the recommended feeding since they're seedlings.  I assume there's no real issue with keeping the nutes mixed with water in the syringe to add a few drops here and there to watering containers, but I would love if someone chimed in and told me to stop it.  I just hate busting out the quart bottles so often, when I have to make light solutions for the up and coming seedlings all the time.  It also just feels really clean and precise to use the syringe to issue the right amount.  It also ensures that they've had a chance to come into contact with water before mixing together, which as I understand it can congeal into weird shit.
:shrug:

The only other thing I think could be an issue is that I noticed some of my perlite is turning kind of orange.  I have a fear this is that orange mold that sometimes shows up like, in a bathroom sink, shower liner, etc.  I hope it's not, but if it is, is it pretty much gonna hate-fuck my roots?

So, any suggestions for these two?  I have more pictures of some of the others, top views of these, they all look healthy other than the spots I've pointed out.  I can't tell if there's an N-related discoloration under the MH bulb though.  Any and all help is mucho appreciated.

edit:  Plant 2's issue has progressed rather quickly since I last took pictures, it now looks a little bit more like nute burn or a severe case of whatever's happening to plant 1, which still looks the same in regards to the burned tips but the bottom leaf set looks a bit yellow.  They needed watering today so I gave them water with the tinest little squirts of diluted nutes, just in case it's a deficiency, but not enough to worsen the situation.  Kind of at a loss as to how to continue since now I feel like everything I do is killing them.  They also feel rather dry I noticed, is that normal at this stage?

Edited by Inocuole (02/20/14 11:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Seedling Issues [Re: Inocuole]
    #716807 - 02/21/14 08:59 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I think I'm just going to chalk this up to the plants drinking water faster than nutes, causing the ppm in the reservoir to go up beyond what I anticipated and burning them.  I've just been giving them regular ph 6.5ish water and the damage doesn't seem to be getting tremendously worse.  There's some spotting on plant 1 now and plant 2 was already kind of crispy yesterday but neither are worse than they were.  I turned down the ballast to 75% so it's a few degrees cooler in there now.  I'm just going to let them chill and give them a little bit of the Grow Big in a couple days to keep them chugging along.  Whatever the issue was it seemed to be a passing thing and I think they'll all keep moving forward.  Hopefully I get all the stressing out of the way before they decide to start herming.

As far as I know they're not even supposed to be in veg conditions yet for their size.  I decided to leave them in while I was testing the light and let it go for a couple days in 18 hr intervals though just to give them a chance to soak it up.  I'm guessing this contributed to shocking them.

Oh well.  If I have any progression on these issues I'll pop back into this thread.

Perhaps I shall ease their suffering now by playing them some funky tunes.
:harp:

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Seedling Issues [Re: Inocuole]
    #716866 - 02/22/14 01:39 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Can you give me a tl;dr on that one?

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Seedling Issues [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #716894 - 02/22/14 12:05 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, crisis averted, seedlings were most likely:

-light shocked
-potentially heat shocked
- slightly burned by nutes due to water evaping too fast out of cups leaving higher ppm of nutrients

They're all perked back up and recovering.  I think I know what adjustments I need to make and what kind of silly shit not to do to them now.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds