Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHime
Stranger

reflective surface lumen
    #710289 - 01/28/14 07:17 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

if I have all surfaces cubed 100% reflective material what does that mean in terms of lumen increase? For a 250w Hps that chart going around recommends 5 inches away from the plant, would that be too close; with that amount of reflectivity?

--------------------
Livin, learnin, takin it easy :willynilly:

Edited by Hime (01/28/14 07:25 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: reflective surface lumen [Re: Hime]
    #710294 - 01/28/14 07:41 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

You can't hurt the plants by being to close but you do decrease the effectiveness of it. Once the light hits the surface it can't reflect it back if the plant is right against it.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleSacajaGanja
Beer
Male

Re: reflective surface lumen [Re: Magash]
    #710388 - 01/29/14 09:21 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

:whathesaid: Meaning you will burn your plants.

OfflineHime
Stranger

Re: reflective surface lumen [Re: Magash]
    #710397 - 01/29/14 10:12 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

thankie good sirs

were you referring to the plant being all smashed up on the reflective surface? that's how mine are, so really only a bit of reflectivity from the top, and sides that aren't shaded.

so prob not increasing the lumens by a huge portion and still safe to keep around the recommended height? I've got my bulb about 9 inches away from the top due to some lockout issues, I didn't want to give more light then they can nutritionally handle.. they seem to be moseying along, but don't really expect them to darken up like in veg stage now that I'm getting close to finishing.

tempted to move it closer since my ph is back in order and there's a bit of a dense canopy, temps are solid even at 4 inches, but I did notice a white/bleach spot, not powdery, develop on a few of the closest leaves, so I backed it up.

--------------------
Livin, learnin, takin it easy :willynilly:

Edited by Hime (01/29/14 10:23 AM)

InvisibleSacajaGanja
Beer
Male

Re: reflective surface lumen [Re: Hime]
    #710404 - 01/29/14 10:45 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Uhoh... I would love to get a picture of youre "white bleach spot"... You said it was not powdery. I just hope it did not herm on you brother. I would love to see pictures, unlike what Magash presumed. I hate to disagree with a TC, they have such a wealth of information, magash correct me but as far as I am concerned there could most certainly be light burn with foliage touching reflective surfaces, no?

~Skunk

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: reflective surface lumen [Re: SacajaGanja]
    #710407 - 01/29/14 11:27 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I am concerned there could most certainly be light burn with foliage touching reflective surfaces, no?

No, that would mean that the reflective surface was actually increasing the power of the light. The only reflective surface that is gonna burn the plants it the light hood.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineHime
Stranger

Re: reflective surface lumen [Re: SacajaGanja]
    #710446 - 01/29/14 04:45 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I wouldn't doubt it.. may be some hidden balls around, I stressed them out pretty badly right at the beginning of flowering. have got the ph to rest at 7.3-7.5 in the run off, but this ph reader could be off by .3-.5

might just be something around the dolomite lime ph, though I did add some high P jobes granules/microbe combo that do seem to steadily increase ph as it breaks down, when tested in water.

the plants are hanging in there, and the lower leaves are dark green but the top I'm not sure if it will recover. I may have partly damaged some of the outside layers of the leaves, over foliar feeding(lesson learned), multiple times in a week because they were having trouble with something in the soil, after some major adjusting to this one batch of feed, went to low, then to high, had many 1/4 tsp's of ph up and down in one prepared mix.

I think rinsing my electrode in RO water causes this meter to be less reliable, because when I switched back to distilled the variability I was experiencing stopped.

they are still chugging along, I think I've got a month and a week left, but they are shooting orange hairs, maybe due to the stress.

also found out that I had been, this whole time, severely underfeeding my plants. Miss read the fertilizer instructions. Got that understood now too, sort of, prob gonna vary a bit depending on strain, but I have the low end recommendations understood now. Think so far I've learned much what not to do :P No biggie though, no hurry to master it.

only a couple leaves have that little bleached area, and they were the ones right beneath the bulb when I had it about 4" from them. may be hard to notice what it is with the hps blanketing everything. Top biggest middle leaf, right fan

Edited by Hime (01/29/14 04:50 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order