Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChEEzyStEEzy
Stranger
Please Help!! (Question about my grow lights)
    #692101 - 11/05/13 07:44 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Alright so ive been growing for a month over a month now and the lady at the grow store recommended I have my plants veg under a 120 watt LED light so i did and it seems like they havent grown as much as they should. I also have a 400 watt HPS light the lady at the grow store told me to use for flower. My question is if I move my plants under the 400 watt and still keep it 23 hours on would they grow alot better? was the 120 watt a waste of money?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Please Help!! (Question about my grow lights) [Re: ChEEzyStEEzy]
    #692104 - 11/05/13 07:53 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

LEDs arent good for much. theyre expensive as fuck. i hope they didnt talk you into buying them. T5s do better and theyre way cheaper.

start using the 400w HPS. just veg like normal with either 24 hours on or 18/6. youll get a LOT more growth with the HPS than the LEDs

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Please Help!! (Question about my grow lights) [Re: CrushNazT]
    #692109 - 11/05/13 08:07 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

The HPS is more than likely going to be better than the LED that you bought.  If you had purchased a VERY high end LED, which will take a lot of research into the subject, they can do quite well.  But my guess is you have a shitty one that was, to be blunt, a waste of money.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Please Help!! (Question about my grow lights) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #692206 - 11/06/13 04:52 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

What hawk said. In theory LED's should be better, but this is not the case with all manufacturers.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Loc: Back in the USSR. Flag
    #692210 - 11/06/13 05:23 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ChEEzyStEEzy said:
Alright so ive been growing for a month over a month now and the lady at the grow store recommended I have my plants veg under a 120 watt LED light so i did and it seems like they havent grown as much as they should. I also have a 400 watt HPS light the lady at the grow store told me to use for flower. My question is if I move my plants under the 400 watt and still keep it 23 hours on would they grow alot better? was the 120 watt a waste of money?

Haha, yea.  You got sold a piece of junk by hydrostore owner who's motivated by making money by selling people whatever they can to make their ends meet.  You gotta' watch out for that crap when asking grow advice from hydrostore owners.  Best to come to these type of sites and ask your questions to folks with experience who aren't motivated by seeing how much we can make you buy from us. 

The HID light will be more intense than that LED, but in the wrong spectrum for vegetative growth.  Putting your plant under that HPS to veg will cause growth to elongate or stretch.  Is your HID a switchable ballast?  I'd take that LED back and exchange it for a Metal Halide bulb if that ballast you bought is/was switchable and veg em' under a Halide as my first choice.  If your ballast isn't switchable though I'd exchange that LED for a T5 set up with mostly cool blue bulbs in the 6500K range and two bulbs in the 2700K range for veg.

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #692216 - 11/06/13 07:10 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ChEEzyStEEzy said:

whats up cheezy.

Have you researched the brand of led you purchased? You very well could have wasted your money, but hey there's a chance that the store owner did right by ya. I know next to nothing about led's, but what i do know is that they have a MUCH smaller footprint than hid lamps. This could be your problem.

I would suggest heavily researching the led you purchased and then Give this Article a read.

As for switching to veg under the hps. Hell yes.Go for it. If you're not getting results now you'll definitely see a surge in growth under the hid. I personally veg w/ an 18/6 cycle. You will do just fine continue ing on the 23hr cycle. Is there any particular reason you chose to have the lights 23hrs on 1hr off?

And.....Welcome to the Growery!!  Stick around :thumbup:

Quote:

hamloaf said:

The HID light will be more intense than that LED, but in the wrong spectrum for vegetative growth.  Putting your plant under that HPS to veg will cause growth to elongate or stretch.

I've veg'd several grows under HPS lamps and have NEVER experienced this.

Quote:

hamloaf said:

Is your HID a switchable ballast?  I'd take that LED back and exchange it for a Metal Halide bulb if that ballast you bought is/was switchable and veg em' under a Halide as my first choice.  If your ballast isn't switchable though I'd exchange that LED for a T5 set up with mostly cool blue bulbs in the 6500K range and two bulbs in the 2700K range for veg.

If the ballast isn't switchable he can just use a conversion bulb. :vaped:

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Re: Please Help!! (Question about my grow lights) [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #692217 - 11/06/13 07:20 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I've veg'd several grows under HPS lamps and have NEVER experienced this.  If the ballast isn't switchable he can just use a conversion bulb. :vaped:

Very well then.  I'm not very familiar with these conversion bulbs yet.  My hydrostore guy tried to explain it to me but I found him boring so I quit paying attention to his explanation.  On plants from seed in veg I use a 16/8 photoperiod.

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Re: Please Help!! (Question about my grow lights) [Re: hamloaf] * 1
    #692218 - 11/06/13 07:26 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:

My hydrostore guy tried to explain it to me but I found him boring so I quit paying attention to his explanation.

:facepalm:

Edited by CrushNazT (11/06/13 07:27 AM)

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

#692219 - 11/06/13 07:31 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Yea, fuck him.  He talks real loud and doesn't listen to what you got to say so he can fuck right off.

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Re: Please Help!! (Question about my grow lights) [Re: hamloaf]
    #692220 - 11/06/13 07:41 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Yea, fuck him.  He talks real loud and doesn't listen to what you got to say so he can fuck right off.

sounds like you do the same thing!!!

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

#692222 - 11/06/13 07:53 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Haha, I don't know what's got you so upset, but you need to calm down.  Yea though, if you want to break it down I think we are all a little bit guilty of that from time to time.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #692233 - 11/06/13 09:44 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Quote:

I've veg'd several grows under HPS lamps and have NEVER experienced this.  If the ballast isn't switchable he can just use a conversion bulb. :vaped:

Very well then.  I'm not very familiar with these conversion bulbs yet.  My hydrostore guy tried to explain it to me but I found him boring so I quit paying attention to his explanation.  On plants from seed in veg I use a 16/8 photoperiod.

I have also heard that HPS works just fine for veg. I personally prefer the nice and tight internodal spacing the MH produces... my T-5 is giving me some pretty stringy clones... :frown:

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Re: Please Help!! (Question about my grow lights) [Re: Tank333]
    #692242 - 11/06/13 10:50 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I personally prefer the nice and tight internodal spacing the MH produces

Me too.  Yea, I've never heard of vegging under an HPS before until now.  Heard lots of good things about flowering under a Metal Halide though.  Honestly I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.  I am just going by what I know, and I'll be the first to tell you that I know far from everything, but you learn something new everyday. 

Why do you think your T-5's are giving you stringy clones?  T-5's don't give off very intense light, and their light intensity begins to diminish greatly just 4-5 inches from the bulbs.  That's why I only use T-5's or CFLs for veg keeping my plants 3-4 inches tall with low stress training.  I keep the lights cool by keeping on a few fans (1 box style fan to create airflow underneath the raised pots and an oscillating fan blowing on the plants) and am able to keep the lights cool enough that I grow the plants straight up into the bulbs so that the plants are touching the bulbs and the leaves never burn.  This allows me to utilize these types of lights in a way that I get most to all of the intense light that these bulbs have to offer.  Don't like T-5's and florescents for flowering though because the plants have to grow tall to form buds.  I prefer the HPS for flowering because you still have a lot of intense light far from the light source so that more intense light can penetrate down into the bottom of the garden and you can get better buds down there.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #692261 - 11/06/13 12:58 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

You can get ripped off very easily buying an LED. They are usually good in veg, but if you get too cheap then your still wasting your money.

Is there a brand name to your LED? photos? How big of an area are you trying to veg in? 2x2? Thats about what I'd use it for, less if its underpowered.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #692262 - 11/06/13 01:17 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I've vegged under HPS a ton, I stopped using MH completely.  There really is no need for it from my experience. 

Now if I'm keeping a mother, I will keep them under a MH.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #692344 - 11/06/13 08:46 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Quote:

I personally prefer the nice and tight internodal spacing the MH produces

Me too.  Yea, I've never heard of vegging under an HPS before until now.  Heard lots of good things about flowering under a Metal Halide though.  Honestly I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.  I am just going by what I know, and I'll be the first to tell you that I know far from everything, but you learn something new everyday. 

Why do you think your T-5's are giving you stringy clones?  T-5's don't give off very intense light, and their light intensity begins to diminish greatly just 4-5 inches from the bulbs.  That's why I only use T-5's or CFLs for veg keeping my plants 3-4 inches tall with low stress training.  I keep the lights cool by keeping on a few fans (1 box style fan to create airflow underneath the raised pots and an oscillating fan blowing on the plants) and am able to keep the lights cool enough that I grow the plants straight up into the bulbs so that the plants are touching the bulbs and the leaves never burn.  This allows me to utilize these types of lights in a way that I get most to all of the intense light that these bulbs have to offer.  Don't like T-5's and florescents for flowering though because the plants have to grow tall to form buds.  I prefer the HPS for flowering because you still have a lot of intense light far from the light source so that more intense light can penetrate down into the bottom of the garden and you can get better buds down there.

Well, it's the 4' 4-bulb T-5 my partner picked up for $50. I'm only using it because the girls we picked up were not grown the way I like my girls to be. They were like 16-18 inches tall, with not much for side branches. I got em home and tried to put em under the thouie, but it kept popping the breaker. So the only other light I had besides the T-5 was a 95-watt flouro (got it at a yard sale with a bunch of other stuff for $20). So I bent em at a 90 degree angle, and put the T-5 above it (about 5-6 inches). Now they've been there a week, and its just not giving me results I'm happy with. They maybe I'm being a bit premature with my assessment, but eh :shrug: Once the room in the basement is finished, this T-5 only going to be used for rooting clones. I think I'll even run my moms under a thouie... lol

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: Please Help!! (Question about my grow lights) [Re: Tank333]
    #692717 - 11/09/13 06:55 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

If you have a ballast and 88$ to spend get a 400w MH Eye hortilux blue daylight spectrum bulb IMO. Has to be the best bulb in existence for veg and flowering. Although I'm just basing that on the spectrum of light it covers. Metal halide not high pressure sodium.

There are also lights called ceramic metal halide that might actually be even better than the eye blue. I don't know anything about those though.

I don't understand LED grow lights. you could buy over a million little LED lights for the cost of some of those grow light systems. It has to be extremely profitable to be an LED grow light inventor atm.

Edited by Midgetpawn (11/09/13 07:00 AM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Please Help!! (Question about my grow lights) [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #692807 - 11/09/13 04:03 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Midgetpawn said:
If you have a ballast and 88$ to spend get a 400w MH Eye hortilux blue daylight spectrum bulb IMO. Has to be the best bulb in existence for veg and flowering. Although I'm just basing that on the spectrum of light it covers. Metal halide not high pressure sodium.

There are also lights called ceramic metal halide that might actually be even better than the eye blue. I don't know anything about those though.

I don't understand LED grow lights. you could buy over a million little LED lights for the cost of some of those grow light systems. It has to be extremely profitable to be an LED grow light inventor atm.

This is complete bullshit.  I've flowered with the Hortilux Blue, it doesn't even come close to getting you the yields that straight HPS does.

--------------------

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals