Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Second 2014 California Marijuana Legalization Initiative Filed
    #689583 - 10/17/13 06:55 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

SACRAMENTO, CA – And then there were two. Proponents of a second 2014 marijuana legalization initiative filed the measure with the California secretary of state’s office last Friday. An earlier 2014 legalization initiative has already entered the signature-gathering phase.

The measure filed last Friday, the Marijuana Control, Legalization and Revenue Act of 2014, would legalize, tax, and regulate marijuana possession, cultivation, and sales. It would also allow adults to grow up to 100 square feet of marijuana each—providing they have the permission of the property owner and the grow is fenced.

The measure explicitly protects the rights of medical marijuana users, stating that it “shall not affect the individual and group medical rights and protection afforded” under Proposition 215 and subsequent legislation.

It would create a California Cannabis Commission with enumerated powers to regulate and control commercial marijuana cultivation and sales. Commission members could not include people currently holding state or local elected office or people who have been involved with a marijuana business in the past two years. The commission must include an attorney, an accountant, a member of law enforcement, a small business owner, and member of the public at large.

The initiative touts itself as the first “open source” California legalization initiative and was largely drafted through an online consultative process by veteran activists. It must now have its title and ballot summary approved by the state attorney general’s office, which has 60 days to do, and if approved, signature-gathering can then commence.

Under California initiative law, measures approved for signature-gathering then have 150 days to collect signatures. This year, they need 504,000 valid voter signatures to make the ballot.

The Hererite perennial California Cannabis Hemp Initiative, which would also legalize marijuana in the state, has already entered the signature-gathering phase and has until February to come up with sufficient signatures.

The conventional wisdom among initiative experts and marijuana reform backers is that the huge number of signatures required to make the ballot in California necessitates paid signature gatherers and a budget of at least a million dollars. And that’s just to make the ballot. Actually winning an election would likely cost several million dollars more.

The conventional wisdom is also calling for California to hold off until the 2016 presidential year, when expected higher turnout is believed to boost prospects for victory. But some Californians clearly aren’t waiting.

The question is whether this will turn out to be a repeat of 2012, when multiple legalization initiatives sought to make the ballot, but, lacking funds and unity, none did.

I am pretty optimistic that this will be our year.
:stoned:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Second 2014 California Marijuana Legalization Initiative Filed [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #689584 - 10/17/13 07:57 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

hell yea!!! i'm sure it'll pass this time since CO and WA legalized last year

InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Second 2014 California Marijuana Legalization Initiative Filed [Re: CrushNazT]
    #689587 - 10/17/13 09:47 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Yea and look at them now, nothing but drama. I can hear all the Christian moms already complaining about smelling smoke blah blah blah...

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Re: Second 2014 California Marijuana Legalization Initiative Filed [Re: Mycophile]
    #689589 - 10/17/13 09:58 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mycophile said:
Yea and look at them now, nothing but drama. I can hear all the Christian moms already complaining about smelling smoke blah blah blah...

so are you suggesting they keep it illegal, because the repercussion of legalization (whiny christian moms) is just too much to bare?

InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Second 2014 California Marijuana Legalization Initiative Filed [Re: CrushNazT]
    #689593 - 10/17/13 10:12 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I'm saying it hasn't done much good in either of those states so hopefully we can handle it better. I don't think we will though because this state is full of pinner ass people who do nothing but bitch even when they lose a vote fair and square.

Edit: I honestly don't like all the control that comes with these initiatives. Why should be we limited to 100 sq ft garden? That's pretty fucking miniscule. If weed is legal I should be able to grow enough to actually last an entire year.

Edited by Mycophile (10/17/13 10:15 AM)

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Re: Second 2014 California Marijuana Legalization Initiative Filed [Re: Mycophile]
    #689598 - 10/17/13 10:39 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mycophile said:
I'm saying it hasn't done much good in either of those states so hopefully we can handle it better. I don't think we will though because this state is full of pinner ass people who do nothing but bitch even when they lose a vote fair and square.

Edit: I honestly don't like all the control that comes with these initiatives. Why should be we limited to 100 sq ft garden? That's pretty fucking miniscule. If weed is legal I should be able to grow enough to actually last an entire year.

:facepalm:

InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

#689620 - 10/17/13 04:39 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Well how about presenting some reasons to convince me otherwise.

What are the benefits in your state so far? Is cannabis easier to find now? Is it more affordable? Is it accepted by society, or is there still a stigma attached to it? Will I actually have more freedoms once it's legal than I do now?

Most importantly, why are we trying to let the government regulate cannabis rather than trying to have it be 100% legal, unregulated, and untaxed?

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#689938 - 10/20/13 08:05 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

People need to donate MONEY to the right lobbying groups. The medical marijuana groups are spending millions keeping it ILLEGAL and there are a lot of other companies and individuals with interests in keeping it illegal. Especially in California it's going to be hard to make it legal for recreational use when there is so much money revolving around medical marijuana.

As sad as it is there are enough clueless people to be persuaded by the right advertising and whoever has the most money can win any election.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals