Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Germinating in vermiculite
    #687188 - 10/02/13 03:30 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I have some horticultural grade vermiculite and I've seen seedling germination kits at nurseries that are just vermiculite in a little cup. Is there any reason I shouldn't germinate in vermiculite? Does anyone else do this?

Even if people advise against this, does anyone have any tips on the best way to do this besides just putting the seed in cup of moist vermiculite?

I usually germinate seeds from other plants in paper towels, but I feel like if I was going to germinate cannabis seeds I'd have better luck with vermiculite.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Germinating in vermiculite [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #687191 - 10/02/13 04:56 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

paper towel works fine, no need to change it. Vermiculite is inert last I checked, so it will probably need feeding while very young.

I also have good results with a "seed starting mix" that looks like brown dust particles. they suck alone, but awesome with 50% coco, otherwise it doesn't wet all the way through, it gets dry pockets. I try and start them in something that can feed the plant at that early stage.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: Germinating in vermiculite [Re: phychotron]
    #687193 - 10/02/13 06:15 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Yea theres absolutely no nutrition in vermiculite, but I'd read you can put it in a cup with the seed and poke holes in the bottom of the cup then put it on top of a watered down solution with a higher P level. Tthis sight actually suggests you can mix piss and water to nurish the seedling. I guess the verm will soak up the solution. I should probably test this out before I attempt it.

I just don't always have success with the paper towel method for other seeds, and although I've never tried the vermiculite method, it sounds logical for the seed to immediately have something to grow into and I know vermiculite holds water well, but doesn't stay over saturated. I wouldn't let it grow much at all in the verm. I figure a couple days after germination I'd put the seedling into soil mix while still in some verm.

This potentially outdated guide I'm reading suggests either rockwool(which I don't have) or vermiculite over paper towels. I think coir has too low a PH for me to mix in the verm.

The dust stuff in seed starter kits might just be vermiculite fine grade. I'd read the ingredients on a seed started kit and all it said was vermiculite and cups or something simple. The horticultural stuff I have is fairly large. I'm not entirely sure what makes it horticultural vermiculite besides maybe the size of the pieces.

I'm tempted to do paper towel method because I have experience with it, but I'll have only a few shots at getting it right. I wish seeds were cheaper/easier to get.

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#687201 - 10/02/13 07:23 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I think I might be reading instructions for hydroponic growing, but I'd be using the TLO method so I have no fukin clue what I should be doing anymore. Couldn't I just put the seeds directly in moist soil? I'd have soil that's specifically suited for clones and seedlings, but I don't know if that includes fresh sprouting seeds.

These guides are kind of confusing me as far as germinating properly goes. Are rockwool cubes for hydroponics only?

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
    #687208 - 10/02/13 08:58 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I just stated putting my germed seeds in a handful in verm in some soil. Seems to be working fine.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Germinating in vermiculite [Re: Midgetpawn] * 1
    #687209 - 10/02/13 09:07 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

No, rockwool isn't only for hydro.  But it's usually only used for cloning.  You can germinate in it, but it's inert, so it will not work well for germinating seeds. 

Don't use piss.  That's just fucking retarded.  It can have some levels of nitrogen and others, but is not helpful.

Yes you can just place the seeds in moist soil.  But the advantage to cracking them in a paper towel, is you know that they have started and then can be placed in the soil.  Instead of wondering if they were viable or not.

Make sure that you are using a quality soil, like Fox Farms.

And are you serious about going with True Living Organics?  I really wouldn't recommend that for a beginner.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: Germinating in vermiculite [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #687213 - 10/02/13 10:42 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Heh I wasn't planning on using piss. I was just mentioning it.

I'd read a few places that the vermiculite holds the perfect amount of water, has neutral PH and allows good oxygen for the roots. I'm not sure what you guys mean by inert. I almost think more people should try it out. It works great for mycelium. I'd think it would be undoubtedly better than a paper towel. I kind of expected people to shoot it down, but I'm hoping someone who has experience with it could promote it or advise against it.

Yea I'm going with TLO. I've done enough gardening and have an interest in gardening enough that I'm not too concerned, but still it's definitely a few steps beyond anything I ever even considered doing. I have the aid of a 30+ year grower which helps a lot. To me hydroponics seems a lot harder and TLO seems to be mostly just keeping microbial life happy, mixing ingredients properly/not overdoing ingredients, making teas, and having a shitload of patience with compost and slow cooking soils. I have enough patience/free time atm to not screw up too bad(I hope).

Hey deadkndy do you just put the verm into a hole in your soil? I was considering doing that also.

I'm probably just over analyzing the whole germination thing, but it feels different when the seeds are so expensive.

Edited by Midgetpawn (10/02/13 11:40 AM)

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#687255 - 10/02/13 05:28 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Well I've been trying to figure out what's in hoffmans 6 ingredient "satisfaction guaranteed" seed starter mix, and I gather that it's Vermiculite, peat moss, agricultural lime, coir, and something. Anyone have an idea what the 5th/6th ingredient could be? air and water probably.

Oh wait perlite.. and 1 more

eh screwit, it could be anything. Maybe I'll just buy some.

Edited by Midgetpawn (10/02/13 05:39 PM)

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
    #687277 - 10/02/13 07:16 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Midgetpawn said:

Hey deadkndy do you just put the verm into a hole in your soil? I was considering doing that also.

Yeah I just dug a hole in the soil and filled it with verm.

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: Germinating in vermiculite [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #687279 - 10/02/13 07:33 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Cool thanks.

Luckily I found exactly what I was looking for at everwoodfarm.com

Btw I thought coir had a really acidic PH but apparently it's 5.2 - 6.8 naturally. Which probably would be good to mix with vermiculite and some of this http://www.everwoodfarm.com/Mycorrhizal_Fungi_Beneficial_Bacteria_Root_growth_products/Down_To_Earth_Granular_Root_Zone_with_Beneficial_Bacteria and hook up your seeds.

This site has an amazing selection of amendments and everything you could need for starting seeds and cloning(aeroponic). I feel like I did the first time I ever saw a fireworks outlet.

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
Littlest pee pee on da block
 User Gallery

Loc: murica Flag
    #687310 - 10/02/13 10:37 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Im just throw in my 2 cents for seed starting since i do about 2000 seeds a week of legal produce.

Rockwool does suck for seeds unless you put something in it. Lately ive been soaking the rockwool in a light solution of the fox farm big bloom since its organic. In a side by side lettuce grow the one with the big bloom did WAY better with faster sprouting and bushier plants.

I prefer rockwool over peat products like the expandable pellets or pre soaked ones such as root riots. They dry too fast and are hard to re wet.

Vermiculite is cool if you do the same thing i mentioned with the rockwool. Its cool cuz you can rinse off the verm in a cup of water and they look like aeroclones.

I do not like paper towel because it requires moving delicate seedlings that can be damaged on transplant. A seed is very tough but a seedling is extremely delicate and should be left alone.

If youree on top of things though any method will work.

--------------------

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: Germinating in vermiculite [Re: SmokeSomeHash]
    #688746 - 10/11/13 01:06 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Well vermiculite seems to have worked. I just ordered big bloom from some hydroponics megastore a couple weeks ago and like a week and a half later they let me know they didn't have any of the size I ordered so I got my money back and now it's back in =/

I ordered it from http://www.horticulturesource.com so beware if you need stuff in a hurry and pay for normal shipping, you won't get it any time soon. They have big bloom and a ton of other stuff super cheap though

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder