Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChronica

Loc: Canada
Preflowers
    #68427 - 06/29/08 02:19 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

My two plants are like, I'd say are getting close to month and a half old, They are pretty small. They are pretty much bonsai mothers. Its had the preflowers for a while, but I really cant find the actual preflowers to tell its male or female, just the preflowers that are on both, the male and female flowers (the indicators that your plant is preflowering, looks almost like a pistil, but has a green skin layer behind it). I tryed looking with a magnifier glass last night. Should i have some noticable signs soon? They will be staying in veg under an hps.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Preflowers [Re: Chronica]
    #68459 - 06/29/08 03:47 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

you should definately be able to tell... if you have a male it should also be mature...

pics?

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineChronica

Re: Preflowers [Re: captain.koons]
    #68464 - 06/29/08 05:09 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Im not able to get pics but even if i could im sure they wouldnt help.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
    #68465 - 06/29/08 07:54 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Chronica said:
My two plants are like, I'd say are getting close to month and a half old, They are pretty small. They are pretty much bonsai mothers. Its had the preflowers for a while, but I really cant find the actual preflowers to tell its male or female, just the preflowers that are on both, the male and female flowers (the indicators that your plant is preflowering, looks almost like a pistil, but has a green skin layer behind it).

What you said is very confusing because you're referring to something as a preflower that isn't a preflower. The indicator you are referring to that appears on both sexes and kind of resembles a pistil isn't a preflower, but rather a stipule.

Anyways, if they haven't shown up yet, its just a matter of waiting. I'm sure they will show up soon, but "soon" would be dependent upon plant growth rate, which would be dependent on how optimal your growing conditions are.

Also, how could you refer to them as bonsai mothers? :strokebeard:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Preflowers [Re: Sirius]
    #68485 - 06/29/08 11:34 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

the male and female flowers (the indicators that your plant is preflowering, looks almost like a pistil, but has a green skin layer behind it).

don't know where you picked that up from, but it's not true.

that's a female preflower.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineChronica

#68486 - 06/29/08 11:34 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
Quote:

Chronica said:
Also, how could you refer to them as bonsai mothers? :strokebeard:

They are pretty small. In kind of smaller pots because of not having enough room for a taller/bigger pot. Lsted. Ive been removing fans slowly and that causes the shoots where those were removed to shoot out, its keeping the plants small and bushy.

OfflineChronica

Re: Preflowers [Re: coda]
    #68487 - 06/29/08 11:36 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Quote:

the male and female flowers (the indicators that your plant is preflowering, looks almost like a pistil, but has a green skin layer behind it).

don't know where you picked that up from, but it's not true.

that's a female preflower.

Like sirius said, I was reffering to the indicators. They dont have any actual preflowers.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #68494 - 06/29/08 12:18 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Chronica said:
They are pretty small. In kind of smaller pots because of not having enough room for a taller/bigger pot. Lsted. Ive been removing fans slowly and that causes the shoots where those were removed to shoot out, its keeping the plants small and bushy.

I assumed you were training them, but was referring rather to the "mother" part of it. :hehehe:

Anyways, it might just be taking a little longer due to the training, I guess. :shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #68521 - 06/29/08 01:07 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Like sirius said, I was reffering to the indicators.

the only preflower indicator is alternating nodes on your plant.  That lets you know that your plant has reached maturity and will show sex soon.  There are now growths that indicate sex other then the preflowers.

--------------------

OfflineChronica

#68548 - 06/29/08 02:39 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Quote:

Like sirius said, I was reffering to the indicators.

the only preflower indicator is alternating nodes on your plant.  That lets you know that your plant has reached maturity and will show sex soon.  There are now growths that indicate sex other then the preflowers.

I thought the stigma was an indicator? They do have alternating nodes at some points.

Quote:

Sirius said:
I assumed you were training them, but was referring rather to the "mother" part of it. :hehehe:

They have lost a little bit of bushiness already :smile:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #68745 - 06/29/08 08:40 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

the stigma is the hair that comes out of the preflower.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #68759 - 06/29/08 09:47 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I thought the stigma was the tip of the pistil, which is the "hair" that would grow out from the calyx of a female preflower. :shrug:

Anyways, I didn't mean that the stipule was an indicator of sex, simply that what was being referred to as the indicator was a stipule and not a preflower. :grin:

Chronica, I just don't understand what you mean about the bonsai mother business. When you refer to losing bushiness, do you mean you've been taking clones from them? What I was saying is calling it a mother when the sex hasn't been determined. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineChronica

#68815 - 06/30/08 01:01 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
Chronica, I just don't understand what you mean about the bonsai mother business. When you refer to losing bushiness, do you mean you've been taking clones from them? What I was saying is calling it a mother when the sex hasn't been determined. :wink:

Yea i just thoughta bout that that it could be a father also, and yea I have a couple clones off of each plant that are rooting.

OfflineChronica

#68821 - 06/30/08 01:25 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
the stigma is the hair that comes out of the preflower.

I misread that picture you posted, I was talking about the pestioles, They are on both male and females.

Quote:

Lady Zandra said :
Yup-- not to confuse the issue-- but look and READ the photo closely-- the pestioles (long green pointy things that come in pairs at nodes before the pre-flowers) are on males AND females-- are usually a sign that pre-sexing is about to start-- are NOT an indicater of sex!

But the top long pointy thing with white hair comming out IS a pre-sex calyx. IF it were male- it would have been a dangley football with 3 or more "bumps"

And this is what I read to think that I should be able to sex my plants by now, Theyve had these pestioles for a while. I do think my training has something to do with it too.

Il give a little more information on my grow. I would prefer them both to be females of course but if one of them is a male or even both Im going to collect pollen, or let the clones transfer pollen theirselves if one is male and one is female. Im like 80% sure one strain is pretty close to being full sativa probably like one of those 75% hybrids, and the weed I got the bud from had one seed in the whole quarter, and was some really good bud. Comparing this plant to the other plant, its very very bushy and has a very even canopy. Im sure the genetics are good just by its growing habits compared to the other around 10 plants that Ive started (and eventually killed all but the best two plants). The other bud was just some pretty good light green brick bud, for being brick, it was very good.

Edited by Chronica (06/30/08 01:37 AM)

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #68845 - 06/30/08 03:26 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Chronica said:
I misread that picture you posted, I was talking about the pestioles, They are on both male and females.

I don't think there is anything as a "pestiole". I assumed you meant "petiole", but that refers to the stalk of a leaf. Those long, green, skinny growths are called stipules. The person you were quoting confused the issue anyways. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineChronica

#68848 - 06/30/08 03:36 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Atleast you know what im talking about now. The stipules are all I can really see, but since ive posted this I have noticed some very very tiny very tiny balls forming, Im guessing at this point it could still be a male or female. Or do you see a pistil right off when they are still almost not seeable with the eye?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom