Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheSavior
Stranger
 User Gallery

DIY RO Filter
    #675019 - 06/17/13 06:44 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

I will attempt to put together an RO system from scratch for under 50 Dollars. I will include pictures of the process so this becomes a tutorial if I succeed.

I have bought a membrane, a housing and a flow restrictor.
when they arrive I will go to the local plumbing store to get tubing and valves. this system will not include a storage tank. because it will be mainly for growing.

My tap water is 180ppm, talk about killing my plants..I have been using that water to grow with very poor results.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: DIY RO Filter [Re: TheSavior]
    #675020 - 06/17/13 06:56 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Damn I wonder what is in your water. Mine is at 180 to 200 and I've been using it for (fuck I can't believe it's been this long) 29 years. :happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
Littlest pee pee on da block
 User Gallery

Loc: murica Flag
Re: DIY RO Filter [Re: Magash]
    #675026 - 06/17/13 07:34 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah we have super hard water here too and its not a big deal...

I got a dro pepper in a waterfarm with water from the hose and it does fine

--------------------

OfflineCanna-Bliss
The man in the back
 User Gallery

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Re: DIY RO Filter [Re: SmokeSomeHash]
    #675285 - 06/19/13 04:54 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Weed is tougher than so many growers make it sound... the 'ultra-vulnerable little flower' that requires highly specialized treatments -  or they're fucked.

Um... nope.  If your plants are dying, then you starved or saturated them with something...

Unless your water is poisonous for humans as well...

--------------------
"Do you hear of fear or... do I smash the mirror?"

OfflineTheSavior
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: DIY RO Filter [Re: Canna-Bliss]
    #675897 - 06/24/13 08:10 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

my water was rated by the WHO to be not up to standard for human consumption...

but that's not the point..I know its filled with calcium and iron oxide..
I am sure these minerals in abundance will lock out other minerals...

also, now I have a tank that I have the water sit in, in the sun for at least 48 hours before using...I can't describe the improvement...

let's say I was failing miserably...miserably! to noob.
The filters have arrived and I will get around to doing them after my next exam....so happy!

OfflineTomCollins

#676061 - 06/25/13 06:37 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

looking forward to the developments. :grin:

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Offlinetrichome
THC
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #676282 - 06/26/13 07:19 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

TheSavior said:
my water was rated by the WHO to be not up to standard for human consumption...

but that's not the point..I know its filled with calcium and iron oxide..
I am sure these minerals in abundance will lock out other minerals...

also, now I have a tank that I have the water sit in, in the sun for at least 48 hours before using...I can't describe the improvement...

let's say I was failing miserably...miserably! to noob.
The filters have arrived and I will get around to doing them after my next exam....so happy!

I applaud your effort in the interest of science, but I have some suggestions.  First, I've been using a water source that is saturated with calcium (sulphate?) and has significant iron.  Adding magnesium sulphate (epsom salt) and occasionally a pinch of potassium chloride seems to keep everything balanced and healthy.  Second, a pre-assembled RO system with tank runs around $100 on ebay.  Since you already ordered the filters ya gotta go ahead with the plans.  Should be pretty easy just make sure the filter progression is in order and add a permeate pump for efficiency.  Good luck!

--------------------
:baggy::arabs::baggy:

OfflineTheSavior
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: DIY RO Filter [Re: trichome]
    #676707 - 07/01/13 05:53 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I have placed the system together. however, I am still figuring out how the system works.

I am lacking some fittings because the pipes are 0.25" and the smallest diameter of plumbing at local stores is 0.5". so I'll go visit a larger plumbing store that is further to get these pieces.

it seems to me that the inlet water goes from the side with one hole and the drain and filtrate come from the other side. the filtrate being from the center and the drain from the more peripheral hole.

I am afraid that water maybe leaking from around the membrane rather than through it. this is because the one time I forced the water into the filter using pvc tubing from my aquarium bubbler and electrical tape. lots of water was coming out of the drain and zero from the filtrate.

this could be either because there is not enough pressure to bypass the membrane into that zone or because water leaks from around the membrane.

this of course will be settled using a ppm meter when the proper pipes have arrived.

I thought of uploading pics, but since I don't have a working product yet....then its a lost cause.

so far the membrane cost me 30 USD, housing 7 USD and flow restrictor was 4 USD. but shipping for these items was significant because I was in a hurry. they can probably be had for the same or less with free shipping when one has free time.

total cost so far 41 USD, will I be able to beat my target of 50 USD ?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies