Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Cannabis pill better than smoking for pain
    #668732 - 05/02/13 02:17 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Marijuana provides greater pain relief when taken in pill form than when it is smoked, according to a study that touches on a controversial medical issue.

Cancer and multiple sclerosis doctors are looking more and more closely at cannabis for patients seeking relief from pain, and some jurisdictions allow the medical use of the drug for this purpose.

But marijuana smoke also carries health risks, for it carries carcinogens and respiratory irritants and users tend to inhale deeply and hold their breath to gain maximum effect.

Neuroscientists in the United States have now carried out what they say is the first scientific study to compare pain relief between smoked marijuana and pills with tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, which is the active ingredient in the drug.

A team led by Ziva Cooper and Margaret Haney of Columbia University in New York asked 15 male and 15 female volunteers, all of them daily cannabis smokers, to carry out a pain test after having smoked marijuana, taken a pill or a dummy look-a-like called a placebo.

The experiment entailed a "cold pressor test", in which the participants immersed a hand into a bath of extremely cold water for up to two minutes, during which they reported on the sensation of pain.

Both smoked marijuana and the THC decreased pain sensitivity and boosted tolerance to pain compared to the placebo.

But the pill beat marijuana for long-lasting decreases in pain.

The findings are promising for medical uses of the THC pill, but more work is needed to determine its impact on individuals who do not smoke marijuana, say the investigators.

The study appears in the journal Neuropsychopharmacology.

source : http://m.sbs.com.au/news/#article1758876_Cannabis-pill-better-than-smoking-for-pain

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMaestro
Strange
Loc: Kiev, Ukraine
Re: Cannabis pill better than smoking for pain [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #668745 - 05/02/13 07:32 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Is it really cheaper to make synthetics in a lab then to grow a bunch of plants?

Offlineboneynerd
Stranger
Re: Cannabis pill better than smoking for pain [Re: Maestro]
    #670496 - 05/13/13 01:51 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

they gotta patent something to make their money off of.. no one will every rely on lab grade cannabis products unless they are free.

OfflineUSAlien234
Stranger

Re: Cannabis pill better than smoking for pain [Re: boneynerd]
    #670549 - 05/13/13 02:33 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

i have heard people dont get the same effects off synthetic THC because its missing a lot of other beneficial property's that are only found in the natural herb.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Re: Cannabis pill better than smoking for pain [Re: USAlien234]
    #672010 - 05/21/13 03:49 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I don't really believe the story... I have tried a normal prescibed dose (1-2 pills) and a spacemonkey prescibed dose (5-8 pills) and can't really say I had felt much of anything. Now for someone who isn't a smoker, pills may work for cancer symptoms such as upset stomach and anxiety.

I still think that a lot of work needs to be done because I do feel that cannabis in the right form and amounts are beneficial for curing cancer. There is getting to be more and more testimonials out there and scientific facts that something in cannabis can shrink and kill tumors. As far as pharmaceutical grade stuff, I don't think they want a cure! Simply because 1) government population control. 2) look how much money the make selling drugs to treat symptoms. Dont know if you guys have ever seen the amounts of meds a person needs to take while going thru chemo and radiation treatment but they end up with a drug for every syptom; upset stomach meds can cost 50-100 per pill, pain meds cost hundreds of dollars per bottle, antianxiety meds, blood meds, and just the chemo and radiation drugs cost hundreds to thousands of dollars by the time you add the facility cost, Dr. bills, and equipment cost.

So I don't think they are taking cannabinoid treatments to seriously. But do hope now that certain states and countries have relaxed their laws on cannabis that more research gets done and we finally isolate the benefits of cannabinods and and the proper ways to administer them to those who really need them.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals