Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHime
Stranger

Ph strips
    #668467 - 04/30/13 03:51 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

1. Put 1 table spoon of soil into a bowl.
2. Add just enough distilled water to make the soil the consistency of a milkshake. The amount of water needed depends on the type of soil you have. Add a little water at a time, and constantly mix it with a spoon.
3. Let the soil sit for one hour. If the soil dries out at any point during the hour, add more water.
4. Dip a pH test strip from the soil pH tester kit in the soil, and let it sit for 20 sec. Then, rinse the strip with distilled water.
5. Compare the color on the strip to the color chart included with the pH tester kit.

Does this sound right for litmus paper?

I wonder if I should be rinsing my strips when testing all dark murky liquids? Like this guano, molasses, fertilizer tea...

--------------------
Livin, learnin, takin it easy :willynilly:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ph strips [Re: Hime]
    #668487 - 04/30/13 06:08 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Bro....get a digital.  Save yourself a shit ton of work.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineHime
Stranger

Re: Ph strips [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #668506 - 04/30/13 08:01 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

you read my mind, I've been browsing some of them... so many different ones though. Do most require a calibrating solution? Probably all the testers in the 1-20$ range are garbage eh?

edit: I think I'll just go with the drops for now

--------------------

Edited by Hime (04/30/13 09:58 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ph strips [Re: Hime]
    #668548 - 05/01/13 01:48 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I've been buying the cheap yellow, ~$10, meters off ebay for awhile now. I'm on my third one. The first one broke when I dropped it into the water, second came a little quirky, but then quickly broke when I dropped it into the water(it was the cheapest of the cheap on ebay).  Now i'm on my third one and I'm much more careful with it, keep it in the case (only one to come in a case) when not using it, and make sure to not drop it in.

I don't always need the meter, but its good to have when changing regiments. You'll get the 'feel' of adjusting the pH after awhile and won't need to use it. I initially got the calibration solution with the first one(maybe an extra $1, they're are tons of options in the auctions) and saved it in a jar, then I use it to calibrate these as they get to my house, and testing it from time to time, but its usually spot on.

They're not the best meters in the world, but they'll get the job done. They sell it for twice the price under the brand name Milwaukee - PH600. The amount of $$ you spend on a meter should depend on how much you plan on using it. These are your disposable digital option.  If your testing soil ALL the time then you might want to get a higher quality unit. I only test the nutrient solution before I feed and have my pH adjustment down to the point that I don't need to test unless I change something.

looks like they're about $12 with the solution and case.  They ship from China but come fairly quickly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Pocket-PH-Meter-Tester-Pen-LCD-Monitor-Aquarium-Pool-Water-Laboratory-/111041486914?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19da96a042

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ph strips [Re: phychotron]
    #668549 - 05/01/13 01:51 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I hear those cheap ones are not accurate at all.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ph strips [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #668560 - 05/01/13 03:01 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I spent 80 bucks on a hannah.  It reads pH and temp.  It's been going strong for 4 years.  You get what you pay for.

P.S. I can drop mine in the water with no worries.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineHime
Stranger

Re: Ph strips [Re: phychotron]
    #668618 - 05/01/13 04:14 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks guys,

I think I'm getting a little better at reading these strips. I'm gonna see if I can get away with only testing the water for now. My soil has some amount of dolomite lime topped and within... maybe I'll test it once this arduous way and then adjust my water at about ph 6 each time.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies