Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelewes420
Marijuana enthusiest
 User Gallery

Plant very droopy at stem and small.
    #660910 - 03/03/13 01:14 AM (11 years, 19 days ago)

Hi please help. I am growing from seed in soil. My plant is 9 days old, 2" high, planted in a 1/2 gal. pot with holes in bottom. I am using Scotts Hyponex soil( 1st mistake...lol). I only water when soil is dry 2" below soil surface. H20 pH is 6.8, I have not used fertalizer to date. I dont spray plant. I use a 150 watt grow bulb from Lowes and it is 1 ft. above plant. I have plenty of room, temp is a sustained 70 degrees with very low humidity. I dont know pH of soil. There are bugs I've noticed: Knats and ants. I am a 1st time grower please help it is a Satori seedling and I am trying to save her. Thank you in advance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePoloDown
Stranger Danger

Re: Plant very droopy at stem and small. [Re: lewes420]
    #660912 - 03/03/13 02:33 AM (11 years, 19 days ago)

Might be over watered? Just because the two inches down is dry, doesn't mean the rest below is dry

Offlinelewes420
Marijuana enthusiest
 User Gallery

Re: Plant very droopy at stem and small. [Re: PoloDown]
    #660913 - 03/03/13 03:56 AM (11 years, 19 days ago)

Thank you ,
        I am gonna drill a hole at bottom of pot and check saturation.

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#660918 - 03/03/13 08:09 AM (11 years, 18 days ago)

Well get uus up some pics and we can see?

Offlinelewes420
Marijuana enthusiest
 User Gallery

Re: Plant very droopy at stem and small. [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #660939 - 03/03/13 10:54 AM (11 years, 18 days ago)

New here not sure how to post pic in thread,but the pic is in my gallery.

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#660940 - 03/03/13 10:59 AM (11 years, 18 days ago)

Shit how do i get to your gallery?I found it? It looks good m an just a little heavy just get some filler dirt and put it all the way up to the leaves then water slowly not to wash all the dirt away from the stem.Looks dry in the pic.

Edited by budgrowerwannabe (03/03/13 11:09 AM)

Offlinelewes420
Marijuana enthusiest
 User Gallery

#660969 - 03/03/13 02:54 PM (11 years, 18 days ago)

Thank you again Budgrower,
        I posted another pic to gallery after doing the things you suggested. How does she look now, and will earthworms eat my roots?

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #660971 - 03/03/13 03:13 PM (11 years, 18 days ago)

Worms are GREAT for soil.  They excrete nutrient rich castings and help aerate the soil.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Plant very droopy at stem and small. [Re: 81renaissance]
    #660972 - 03/03/13 03:15 PM (11 years, 18 days ago)

P.S. Judging by those pictures, the only problem you have is that your seedling is in a container that is WAY too big.  In the future, start in a small container, (like a solo cup, for instance) and then transplant to larger ones.  It is very difficult to control the moisture levels of a small plant in a big container.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#661006 - 03/03/13 08:42 PM (11 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

lewes420 said:
Thank you again Budgrower,
        I posted another pic to gallery after doing the things you suggested. How does she look now, and will earthworms eat my roots?

Looks good? Now put your light as close as you can with out killing it!
I just put my hand just above the plant to feel how hot it gets or put a thermometer

Offlinelewes420
Marijuana enthusiest
 User Gallery

#661008 - 03/03/13 08:52 PM (11 years, 18 days ago)

Will do, Thanks again for all the insight.

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#661009 - 03/03/13 09:08 PM (11 years, 18 days ago)

I try and keep them from streching too much that way.

Offlinezzzzzz
Stranger

#661071 - 03/04/13 04:57 PM (11 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
Worms are GREAT for soil.  They excrete nutrient rich castings and help aerate the soil.

Yeah, but they aren't practical, if possible to reasonable extent, in an indoor grow.  If you doubt me, check out the requirements for worms to thrive.  I vermicompost, so I know a few things.  Worms will not survive to any extent let alone thrive in your plant pot.

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: Plant very droopy at stem and small. [Re: zzzzzz]
    #661076 - 03/04/13 05:03 PM (11 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

zzzzzz said:
Quote:

81renaissance said:

Yeah, but they aren't practical, if possible to reasonable extent, in an indoor grow.  If you doubt me, check out the requirements for worms to thrive.  I vermicompost, so I know a few things.  Worms will not survive to any extent let alone thrive in your plant pot.

I dont think he was talking about putting worms in just the castings?:confused:

Offlinelewes420
Marijuana enthusiest
 User Gallery

#661191 - 03/05/13 01:26 PM (11 years, 16 days ago)

Ok Thanks again everyone,
        I have a new question, I live by the ocean and was wondering if fresh seaweed I collect would be good or bad for plant?

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #661193 - 03/05/13 02:08 PM (11 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

budgrowerwannabe said:
Quote:

zzzzzz said:
Quote:

81renaissance said:

Nope, I have active living worms in my soil pretty regularly.  If you use a 100% organic soil with no EDTA or synthetic chelating agents, along with organic tea feedings, both micro-organisms (bacterias and fungi) as well as macro-organisms (like worms) can thrive.
I don't add worms to the soil, but they end up there when I put compost in my soil mix. 
I vermicompost too so that I have fresh castings.  Easy as pie for anyone that wants to put in a tiny bit of effort.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#661205 - 03/05/13 05:25 PM (11 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
Quote:

budgrowerwannabe said:
Quote:

zzzzzz said:
Quote:

81renaissance said:

Nope, I have active living worms in my soil pretty regularly.  If you use a 100% organic soil with no EDTA or synthetic chelating agents, along with organic tea feedings, both micro-organisms (bacterias and fungi) as well as macro-organisms (like worms) can thrive.
I don't add worms to the soil, but they end up there when I put compost in my soil mix. 
I vermicompost too so that I have fresh castings.  Easy as pie for anyone that wants to put in a tiny bit of effort.

JUst learned something !!!!! Thanks :idhitit:

Offlinelewes420
Marijuana enthusiest
 User Gallery

#661266 - 03/06/13 11:32 AM (11 years, 15 days ago)

This site is Awsome!!!  Thank you everyone, already plant turned around.

Offlinezzzzzz
Stranger

#661727 - 03/10/13 07:16 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:

What are those worms eating?  I know, for example, the redworms I keep need a supply of decomposing organic matter.  I know that nightcrawlers won't survive in the worm bin environment, and I've seen them pull dead leaves and such into their burrows at night.  They also need deep deep burrows in soil, so they can't make it in a pot.

So what kind of worms thrive in your potting soil?  Just curious ...

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Plant very droopy at stem and small. [Re: zzzzzz]
    #661778 - 03/11/13 09:32 AM (11 years, 10 days ago)

My best guess is that they are feeding on whatever goodies are not fully decomposed in the compost.  I haven't grown in a hot minute since I've been traveling for work, and even when I start composting here, it's gonna have to be in a bin since I don't have a yard anymore. 
In terms of the "deep burrows", the levels of bedding in my vermi-bins is rarely deeper than my 5 gallon smartpots, so maybe I'm doing it wrong, but the little dudes still eat their weight in garbage and shit enough to keep me in castings so :shrug:.

In terms of actual species, I have no idea what crawls into my compost piles, but those are what make the move to my pots, b/c I don't sift the compost before using it.  Usually they're not very deep in the pile either, because the compost heats up too much on the interior for it to be conducive to worm life.  They're definitely not the traditional fat earthworms, more similar to the red wriggler size and shape (stringy, thin, moderate length).

I also want to clarify: I don't know if you're using the term "potting soil" as a general term, but my soil mix is anything but potting soil.  The base mix is just 1:1:1:1 (Light, un-amended soil, perlite, coir, and castings, and is then amended with about 20 other ingredients, none of which are "nutes", just organic bi-products like blood meal, guano, oyster shell, manure, compost, etc.  I don't know what supports the worm life, I don't put them in intentionally, but they're there! :grin:

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds