Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerookie
Stranger
Any help appreciated for first time medical grower!
    #656499 - 01/27/13 11:40 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Hi there folks,
I was wondering if I could ask some advice?
I've been in severe and acute neck pain from a nasty case of osteoarthritis in my spine c4 (neck) for the last 3 years.
Recently a friend gave me a little something to help with the pain and it was a godsend. Not only did the pain recede but I'm generally more happy and capable on it. I'm also not poisoning my kidneys with toxic painkillers. Then something terrible happened. I ran out. Now I'm a bit of a hippy, buy organics etc and I figure the only way I can get a constant supply and make sure what I'm getting is clean and organic is to grow it myself.
I've been reading up, making a list of what I need and I think I'm nearly ready to start but I still have a few questions and I wanted to run it past experienced growers like your good selves :smile:

I had been planning on converting a grow box out of an old chest of drawers but when I visited the garage today to get it out it was coated in green mould. As I was thinking about picking another one up second hand it occurred to me, I live in my house with my wife she knows I'm planning on growing a few plants she's ok with it as it's 'medicinal'. So do I really need a grow box? Are there any advantages in having one other than discretion?

So assuming I'm correct about that here's my revised plan.

4 plants in an area 1metre squared, I don't need much, I only get through about 2-3 grams a month and I'm going for easy to grow, adaptable plants that do well indoors

Separate ceramic plant pots for each seed filled with humboldt organic soil
I won't start adding nutrients until 3rd week when I will mix with distilled water and add:
maxicrop seaweed extract
black strap molasses
earthworm casting
seabird guano

During grow i will check moisture of soil every day and keep damp but not wet using a sprayer

I had planned on using diamond reflector sheeting in the grow box but I will now place the reflector sheeting on the floor (under the plants) thereby reflecting the light back up to the plants and hopefully giving them more rays.

I'll place the plants near the window so they get sunlight as well as grow lights for 12 hours a day  on a timer so they always get the same amount of light.
As they are no longer in an enclosed space I won't use a fan but I'll make sure I keep the door open to allow the air to circulate.

I'm a little unsure about lamps (as in the lamp itself not the bulb) to use, I'm on a budget of about £80 for all of this and I don't want to spend too much, will 1 lamp be enough for 4 plants or should I get 2?
Does anyone know what bulbs I should use? I also know I'm supposed to use different lights for seeding and flowering but I don't think I can afford that. If I'm being honest the light issue is the one I'm still most confused about. I had been going to get 2 of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E40-Grow-Light-Hanger-E27-Adaptor-Screw-Socket-Holder-for-all-size-of-CFL-Lamp-/290851269062?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item43b81629c6

and just hang them over the plants but now I'm looking at ballasts, different bulbs and all sorts.
I just want the best lights I can afford that will do the job. Help!

I'm hoping it won't take more than 2 months for this to come to fruition and until then I'm back on the ibuprofen.
Sorry if I seem totally clueless, any help advice or suggestions would be most gratefully received.
Thanks,
D

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Any help appreciated for first time medical grower! [Re: rookie]
    #656507 - 01/27/13 01:21 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

rookie said:
So do I really need a grow box? Are there any advantages in having one other than discretion?

So assuming I'm correct about that here's my revised plan.

4 plants in an area 1metre squared, I don't need much, I only get through about 2-3 grams a month and I'm going for easy to grow, adaptable plants that do well indoors

You don't really need a box, however the other benefits beyond "discretion" are light reflectivity from the surfaces inside the box, and control of the dark cycle.  The latter is necessary because you have to have COMPLETE darkness during the "night" portion of the flowering cycle. No light leaks whatsoever.  If you can acheive that in the grow room (blackout curtains, and no ambient light coming around the door, AND you NEVER go into that room during the dark hours), you're fine, if not, you'll need a box, or more conveniently, a grow tent. This one would be ideal for your purposes, and you don't have to put a lot of work into converting your moldy chest of drawers.
Also, you'll want your plants closer together than you're planning in order to maximize light coverage. In flower, I find that 1 sq. foot per plant is adequate (.3m^2). 

Quote:

rookie said:

During grow i will check moisture of soil every day and keep damp but not wet using a sprayer

That's not a good idea.  What you want to do is completely saturate your soil on days that you water, and then do not water again until the soil is almost fully dry.  You should be able to insert your finger to the second digit into the top of your soil and find it to be dry.  Many people (myself included) water "by weight", that is, pick up the container when the soil is totally dry, water, and then wait until the container reaches its dry weight before watering again.

Quote:

rookie said:

I'm a little unsure about lamps (as in the lamp itself not the bulb) to use, I'm on a budget of about £80 for all of this and I don't want to spend too much, will 1 lamp be enough for 4 plants or should I get 2?
Does anyone know what bulbs I should use? I also know I'm supposed to use different lights for seeding and flowering but I don't think I can afford that... Help!

Here's a link to a complete bulb/ballast/reflector set from one of the Growery sponsors.  If you can only use one bulb for your entire grow, I recommend a metal halide, but that system comes with an HPS (you might be able to private message Night Train who is the contact for RVF here on the Growery, and request that they substitute a MH bulb for the HPS).
That setup is a GREAT price to include a digital ballast AND a 400 watt bulb, and it would be more than enough for the setup you're describing.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Any help appreciated for first time medical grower! [Re: 81renaissance]
    #656508 - 01/27/13 01:22 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Oh, and WELCOME TO THE GROWERY!
:peace::heart::gonz:

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #656522 - 01/27/13 02:53 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

rookie said:

I'm hoping it won't take more than 2 months for this to come to fruition and until then I'm back on the ibuprofen.
Thanks,
D

You should also be aware that if you do a 14-30 day veg (pretty standard), you should expect AT LEAST 90 days from seed to smoke for most strains; sativa dominant strains will take longer.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Offlinerookie
Stranger
    #656532 - 01/27/13 04:22 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the advice man I really appreciate it!
Having given it some thought I think I will invest in a tent, I can't be 100% sure that they wont ever be bothered or exposed to light during their sleep cycle so to be safe I'll just go ahead and get one.
Thanks for the warm welcome, happy to be here :smile:

InvisibleUltimateDevotion
TwistedByDesign
Male User Gallery

#656674 - 01/28/13 03:37 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
If you can only use one bulb for your entire grow, I recommend a metal halide,.

I'm curious to know why you believe this.  I've read most would choose an HPS if only one bulb to be used.  I understand that MH is more beneficial during veg? and HPS during flowering?  Just trying to get some different perspectives.

--------------------
Harry Detroit in 304 made one last promise now
"I'm goin out without a trace, a vanishing act before your eyes"

OfflineMaestro
Strange
Loc: Kiev, Ukraine
    #656689 - 01/28/13 04:21 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

rookie said:
Thanks for the advice man I really appreciate it!
Having given it some thought I think I will invest in a tent,

Just don't get the cheap version on eBay. Mine ripped while I was setting it up, and the top "pipes" broke after about a month. Only the structure is metal.
BUT, I got everything else on eBay and very cheap. Fan, filter, ballast, bulb, reflector all still work fine, so I can't complain about ebay much

InvisibleUltimateDevotion
TwistedByDesign
Male User Gallery

Re: Any help appreciated for first time medical grower! [Re: UltimateDevotion]
    #679131 - 07/24/13 09:05 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

UltimateDevotion said:
Quote:

81renaissance said:
If you can only use one bulb for your entire grow, I recommend a metal halide,.

I'm curious to know why you believe this.  I've read most would choose an HPS if only one bulb to be used.  I understand that MH is more beneficial during veg? and HPS during flowering?  Just trying to get some different perspectives.

I don't mean to bump an old thread but I haven't seen this guy in a while and am still curious why he would think this.  I'm pretty sure hawk is the opposite with HPS and thats the route I've been going.

--------------------
Harry Detroit in 304 made one last promise now
"I'm goin out without a trace, a vanishing act before your eyes"

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Any help appreciated for first time medical grower! [Re: UltimateDevotion]
    #679150 - 07/25/13 04:31 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Oh I definitely go with HPS if you are going to only choose one.  MH isn't needed for veg, I have seen so many large grows that only use HPS the whole way through, with no negative effects.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order