Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblechopstick
Stranger

LED lights -- new grower
    #651206 - 12/15/12 03:09 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Hello everyone, I'm new to the cultivating game but am really pumped to try and get started.

I have seeds, and have decided I want to grow in a grow tent + LED lights. The low power consumption, low heat generation and the fact that they can be used from start to finish are all attractive traits to me.

I have spent the better part of the last few hours looking at LED lights, but haven't really come to a conclusion yet.

So, I was wondering if any of you could recommend some decent LED lighting systems in the 400-500$ range. I plan on spending more on upgrades eventually...:smile:

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblescarfaceofweed
I love weed
Male
Re: LED lights -- new grower [Re: chopstick]
    #651207 - 12/15/12 03:22 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I didn't know it was possible to use LED light in flowering.
But if you are going to spend 500 dollar on a LED light wouldn't it be better to buy a HPS light for that money?
You could afford a whole light kit for that budget.. hps.. reflector.. fan etc.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #651208 - 12/15/12 03:32 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'm a fan of Advanced LED, Diamond Series. There are a few other good brands out, but mostly crap on the market. If you spend your money on a shitty light you'll not be able to get the larger denser buds and penetration.

how big of a tent are you talking about? How many plants? I moved from a 4x4 to a 4x8 and only using 4x6 for the plants. The rest is for a tv cart that holds my nutrient tank and other stuff. I suggest getting a larger tent than you the area you expect to flower in for things like fans and accessibility.

check out this thread...400w Diamond Series between four blackstar-240 130watt.

the blackstar works alright, its the better of the cheap fixtures, but the features are lacking--no heat sink, 1 yr warranty, 6 band. The bud isn't as dense and penetration not as good and a little slow growing.  I would like to swap my four blackstars out for two more 400DS's. Those are able to pump out the buds.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by phychotron (12/15/12 03:37 PM)

Invisiblechopstick
Stranger

Re: LED lights -- new grower [Re: phychotron]
    #651216 - 12/15/12 03:56 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Tent is 55x55x79, and I'm planning on starting out with around 6 plants from seed. They may end up being small, since I can't afford the best LED lighting atm.

That 400w diamond looks nice...but a little pricey. I'm not trying to spend more than 5-600 initial investment. I may have to go with a system with less wattage at first.

As for an hps being a better investment...I figure the LED will save money in the long run, and less heat means I don't have to mess with ventilation problems as much. Also less paranoia.

Do you supplement your LED's with CFL's during veg, phychotron?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #651222 - 12/15/12 04:47 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I use a T5 HO 4x4 to veg at the moment. But now that my bulbs are getting old I'm waiting to get a dedicated led veg light. I have a cheap fixture my bro gave me which have half the lights out, now about 150w. The plant from the link i posted was put under that light after being under the t5 and it took off like crazy. It was heat stressed out of the shell but vegged for a total of 49 days. A lot of those 90w LED = 400w HID come from veg and leafy plants. Still a bit of a stretch, but you need considerably less LED in veg. the DS has 2 switches, so you can choose to run just the blue-er side in veg if you want. 

You will still need ventilation, It's not possible to run an LED in a sealed area without any heat problems. I keep an 8" fan on low right now and unzip the doors part way when the lights come on. I need a temp/humidity fan controller and an air input that is light proof and wont suck the tent in when the fan comes in. It varies by season.

The 200w DS for $549 has a core coverage area of 2.5'x3'. Which is a pretty good size area to start on a budget. Compare that to two blackstar240's, pulling 130w each, will give you slightly more coverage area but less intense of light for the area that it does cover. Your $/watt are comparable in price with the DS but you get a much better fixture. Ask them for free shipping, they just offered it for the holidays. Its up to you if you want to spend a few hundred on inferior fixtures, but they do 'work' and will get you bud on a budget--enough to save that much on bud to pay for themselves the first time over. You can always put those off to the side like I have(or maybe as veg lights). If you want to see what an LED is capable of though go with the DS's in the long run. Also for the blackstars they don't have a heat sink, so I suggest the 2 smaller fixtures to the 1 larger '500' (240watts) and the more concentrated heat. I had one fail on me, and had them send two 240's in exchange. Plus one of the main theories of LED is to have multiple light sources instead of a single point like HID. This gives you more even lighting and less overall shading from leaves.

That one Grapegod in a 5 gallon pot was about 2.5'x2.5' and 3' tall. 185g. You might be better off doing 1-2 plants at first and see how big they get. Seeds tend to have a bit more vigor and can surprise you. The coverage area of led makes it better for SOG/Scrog/training.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck