Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegorlax
Stranger
 User Gallery

Help, Root Aphids, Gnats, and or Thrips! Infection
    #635493 - 08/27/12 12:57 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Ok before I go into a lot of detail this is how this came about. I have a separate sexing chamber, and I have a grow/flower chamber. I recently had 3 plants to sex and one White Widow from clone that remained in the grow/flower chamber. I sexed the other three plants in a very low quality chamber and when I left on vacation left a friend to water them. They were over watered severely and this is when I noticed these gnat like things. I kind of blew it off and added cinnamon to the soil, this helped a lot and kept them at bay. I then noticed that the 3 plants were indeed female, but at first thought they were males. So I neglected them and one day noticed that the mango that I was growing was budding very nicely, so I moved it into the grow chamber and now I have a bad problem! I quickly noticed that the leaves of my large white widow were having problems. At first it looked like a spider mite problem, until I really found out it was not mites but some sort of soil dwelling organism. The mango and White widow are 4 weeks into flower, I am not restarting as some have told me to do!!

The first look at my leaves!

Now the 30x picture of the critters!

It took me a long time to catch one of these, They seemed to teleport every time I had one lined up for a quick shot of HOT SHOT! I scooped some top soil up and spread it out and took aim, They weren't teleporting but jumping quickly and very illusive. Finally found one in a puddle of hot shot and took this picture!

I have already tried SNS217, at first thinking it was a mite problem, but that is not the case.

I believe these are either Root Aphids or Thripes!?
PLEASE HELP ME FIND THE BEST SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM!!!

Updated Picture! Found this on the bottom of one of my leaves!

Here is an excellent picture of the species of gnat. can anyone ID?!

As of now I have sprayed SNS217, watered with a gallon of water + 1 TBSP of H2o2 (Hydrogen Peroxide), and a pea sized chunk of bar soap. It seems to have stopped a lot of the movement I was seeing on the top of the soil. The grow shop around me is currently closed till tomorrow. That's when I will buy more specific sprays.

So far my preventive strategy is to buy some beneficial nematodes for the soil, shown to eat almost all pests that you need to worry about. I probably will also get an army of lady bugs going soon, but I am also going to the hydro place and buying bug off by fox farm with pyratheum.

this is some info on nematodes
Beneficial Nematodes are microscopic warriors. Our Nematodes will eat soil boring pests in your garden such as flea larvae, cutworms, weevils, whitegrubs, moth larvae, rootworms, borers, and much much more. Beneficial Nematodes do not harm other beneficial insects, worms, plants, pets, or people. They are very effective, and easy to use.

M0re than 230 pests are susceptible to these Beneficial Nematodes. Based on field experiments, we recommend them to control the following:
artichoke moth larvae fungus gnat larvae
banana moth larvae greater peach tree borers
black currant borers gypsy moth larvae
black vine weevils Iris borers
cabbage root maggots Japanese beetle larvae
carpenterworms mole crickets
codlingmoth larvae onion maggots
corn earworm pine weevils
pine weevils poplar clearwing borers
corn rootworms raspberry crown borers
Cranefly (tipulid) larvae root maggots
cucumber beetles sod webworms
cutworms strawberry weevils
cutworms tobacco budworms
dogwood borers white grubs
flea beetles wireworms
flea larvae woolly aphids

Edited by gorlax (08/27/12 04:14 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies