Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesidetwist
Guano Reefs
 User Gallery

Some pre-beginner's questions (light, stressed hermies, EC, pruning, molasses, a.o.)
    #618313 - 04/15/12 09:48 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

There is a lot of stuff that I have heard from youtube and from instruction videos, so this is basicly jus sorting out all the hearsay. Uhm and I should maybe mention that I'm thinking about a small cabinet grow.

So... a little thought experimentation:

-Light spectrum and stressed hermies: I heard in a vid about LED grow lights that the plants need red spectrum for photosynthesis and blue spectrum for making chlorophyll.
So I decided that it would be not that bad to take a 150W warm white CFL light, because also there is no cool white CFL available in the local grow shop. I mean it has a lot of red and yellow, but also some blue in it and I have the possibility to supplement with a lower wattage 6500 K CFL bulb.
Then again I want to go with feminized seeds and I learned in another video that red spectrum caused fem seeds to make hermies... any thoughts?

Also people say HPS is best... hmmm... a cfl of say 8 W can replace a normal 40(or some) W light bulb. Isn't that true anymore? Do plants need the heat that much? Or is the light profile of a HPS SO(?) much better than of a normal light bulb?

-EC: Can one calculate or estimate the EC as a rule of thumb or does one have to buy an EC-meter? Why does Jorge Cervantes recommend soilless mixes for beginners if you need to know exactly what's going on down there? I figure soilless is very similar to hydro, if not the same...

-Pruning: Is it right that the plants put the energy from the fan leaves into the flowers in the end? I was just wonderig because the flowers have chlorophyll themselves, so I thought they should also be able to produce carbonhydrates from CO2.

-Molasses: Do you simply put it in the water to encourage resin production? At what time? Some youtuber said that you could use brown sugar too.

-Carbon filters: Since a professional carbon filter and squirrel cage fan is a bit costy for a small cabinet grow I was wondering if there are ans DIY-alternatives.

Thanks for reading this so far.

--------------------
Live slow, die old.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Some pre-beginner's questions (light, stressed hermies, EC, pruning, molasses, a.o.) [Re: sidetwist]
    #618322 - 04/15/12 11:52 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

sidetwist said:
There is a lot of stuff that I have heard from youtube and from instruction videos, so this is basicly jus sorting out all the hearsay. Uhm and I should maybe mention that I'm thinking about a small cabinet grow.

So... a little thought experimentation:

-Light spectrum and stressed hermies: I heard in a vid about LED grow lights that the plants need red spectrum for photosynthesis and blue spectrum for making chlorophyll.
So I decided that it would be not that bad to take a 150W warm white CFL light, because also there is no cool white CFL available in the local grow shop. I mean it has a lot of red and yellow, but also some blue in it and I have the possibility to supplement with a lower wattage 6500 K CFL bulb.
Then again I want to go with feminized seeds and I learned in another video that red spectrum caused fem seeds to make hermies... any thoughts?
a lot of people don't like femmed seeds because they feel it's bringing out any hermie traits in the strain. I've had good success with feminized seeds. Never heard of the light spectrum causing hermaphoditing though. Stress and genetics have the largest influences on hermaphoditic traits. Light leaks are the most common culprit, imo.

Also people say HPS is best... hmmm... a cfl of say 8 W can replace a normal 40(or some) W light bulb. Isn't that true anymore? Do plants need the heat that much? Or is the light profile of a HPS SO(?) much better than of a normal light bulb?
OK, let's dispell the myth that a CFL is the same or better than other bulbs of the same wattage. They are NOT. A 23w CFL is only 23 watts. Its not "equivalent" of anything else. When comparing CFL's to HID lights, you want to compare the lumen loss. With CFL's the amount of lumens lost even 6 inches away from the bulb is WAAAAY higher than that of the same wattage of HID. You referenced heat in this question too... that's really gonna. Depend. On your growing space. If you've got a large space, go with HID lights. If the space you've got is really small, CFL lights would be better for that area. It all depends on how well you can exhaust your heat. I think the best route with lights is to use MH for veg and HPS to flowering, that is as long as you've got the money to get a switchable ballast and two bulbs. Lol

-EC: Can one calculate or estimate the EC as a rule of thumb or does one have to buy an EC-meter? Why does Jorge Cervantes recommend soilless mixes for beginners if you need to know exactly what's going on down there? I figure soilless is very similar to hydro, if not the same...
Honestly, not a question I could answer. I got knowledge, but its limited. Lol.

-Pruning: Is it right that the plants put the energy from the fan leaves into the flowers in the end? I was just wonderig because the flowers have chlorophyll themselves, so I thought they should also be able to produce carbonhydrates from CO2.
well, your question here I think has to do with flushing. you want to flush the nutrients and chemicals from the plants so you'll get a cleaner tasting and burning medicine when you're done. When you stop feeding, the plants use the nutrients stored in the leaves until there's nothing left for em. I hope that answers what you were asking there.

-Molasses: Do you simply put it in the water to encourage resin production? At what time? Some youtuber said that you could use brown sugar too.
Not sure. Never used molasses.

-Carbon filters: Since a professional carbon filter and squirrel cage fan is a bit costy for a small cabinet grow I was wondering if there are ans DIY-alternatives.
Yea, there's plenty of teks here on the site for em.

Thanks for reading this so far.

I hope that helps man!

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Some pre-beginner's questions (light, stressed hermies, EC, pruning, molasses, a.o.) [Re: Tank333]
    #618323 - 04/15/12 12:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I didn't see that you mentioned you're going with a cabinet grow. My bad. Lol. I guess I just skimmed till I saw questions. Lol.

If you can afford it, i'd get a small HID light, maybe 250w? You'd need a decent fan and cool tube or something, to suck your heat away right away...

otherwise,  you can hang several small CFL's really close to the plant(s?), and get decent results with that. I saw a member on here, Muse, get a damn good harvest from CFL bulbs. It was really labor intensive, checking it every day and tieing her down, but if I remember right he got almost a qp from 2 plants!

I started out using CFL's, helping a friend of mine with his grow. They're okay, but I would never go back from my 1k's. Lol

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinesidetwist
Guano Reefs
 User Gallery

Re: Some pre-beginner's questions (light, stressed hermies, EC, pruning, molasses, a.o.) [Re: Tank333]
    #618328 - 04/15/12 12:52 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Well thanks a lot. I think I'll have to do a bit more research on lights in each case before I get one. My cabinet is a cupboard of, say, 1m x 70cm x 35 cm. I'm gonna drill two holes in it for exhaust and fresh air.

And I just have to keep it stealth and save electricity because I don't want my landlord to ask who caused the bill.

--------------------
Live slow, die old.

OfflineGreenShaman
Stranger
Male

Loc: Pluto
Re: Some pre-beginner's questions (light, stressed hermies, EC, pruning, molasses, a.o.) [Re: sidetwist]
    #618685 - 04/17/12 01:04 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

expensive

--------------------
:wink:

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some pre-beginner's questions (light, stressed hermies, EC, pruning, molasses, a.o.) [Re: GreenShaman]
    #618689 - 04/17/12 01:10 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

250 watt light is not expensive to run at all.  You're average fridge pulls more than a 250 watt light is going to pull.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder