Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinebudnectar
Planetary Citizen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Mars
on being green
    #601955 - 12/18/11 12:22 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

So, has anyone considered explicitly growing indoor in the colder season and utilize the exhaust to heat your dwelling thereby reducing or eliminating the need of a heater appliance?

Im making plans for all the wasted paper catalogues that would constitute junk mail. I found inspiration in a Paul Stamets catalogue where you can colonize recyclable paper with oyster mushrooms as the recycling implement. I would rather figure out a way on my own rather than spend $30 on their bucket though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegrod31
Ranger
 User Gallery

Re: on being green [Re: budnectar]
    #601962 - 12/18/11 12:47 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

buy oysters from the super marklet and do some experiments with pieces of them
i would bet anything you can one to start working with no skill
check out these pics of mine

laundry

phonebook

get over to the shroomery.

--------------------
DO NOT USE mushmagic.com- THEY LIE AND SELL DRUGS TO CHILDREN :thumbdown:
--------------------------------------------------
Back the tape up.  I need it again!
Let it roll!  Just as high as the fucker can go! 
And when it comes to that fantastic note
where the rabbit bites its own head off,
I want you to THROW THAT FUCKING
RADIO INTO THE TUB WITH ME!
    Not me.  It would blast you through
the wall stone dead in ten seconds and they'd make me explain.

Offlinebudnectar
Planetary Citizen

Re: on being green [Re: grod31]
    #601963 - 12/18/11 01:21 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

dude that's fucking awesome you colonized laundry and a phonebook! Now I know how to deal with all my old hole-y socks LOL!  :sambergfive:  How did you manage sterilization???

And I've been to the shroomery very briefly and found it to be populous with uptight, cliquish folk :thumbdown:
However, they have a faster news flow

Offlineshanker
Stranger
Re: on being green [Re: budnectar] * 1
    #601983 - 12/18/11 09:21 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I've always thought someone could re-use the heat like that. Why not experiment and let us know how you go?

Also, if you are growing mushrooms in Winter that require a warm environment then you could put them in your grow room where they would benefit from the heat and light. Mushrooms also require oxygen and produce carbon dioxide which made me think that the plants could benefit from the carbon dioxide from the mushrooms and the mushrooms could benefit from the oxygen produced by the plants.

Whilst we're on the topic of being eco friendly, you can use left over things such as coffee grounds, paper etc for growing mushrooms but you can also use them to feed worms in a worm farm. Having a worm farm will reduce the garbage that goes into land fill and you'll also get free worm castings and 'worm tea' which is an awesome natural fertilizer. Worms will also eat coir so if you have any left over from your grow then you could probably feed it to your worms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worm_farm#Vermicompost

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermicompost

Offlinebudnectar
Planetary Citizen

Re: on being green [Re: shanker]
    #601992 - 12/18/11 11:37 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

From my experience, a 75w HPS is almost sufficient to heat a small 1 one apartment. But I suppose rigging the exhaust to mimic a central heating system might take more finesse.

I'm wondering how the dynamics will change if I switch to LED. Although I think they'd be more suited to a plant/mushroom grow chamber combo because higher temps increase likelihood of contams?

Just playing with the thought here, could you grow the mushrooms in the same container as the plants and keep a humidifier running to keep the lights from drying them out? I'm imagining harvesting mushrooms covered in trichs  :derp:

Offlineshanker
Stranger
    #602092 - 12/19/11 07:16 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I doubt LEDs would produce sufficient heat to warm a room or dwelling reasonably.

Regarding mushrooms, some mushrooms prefer/need higher temps such as psilocybe cubensis. You can find the growth parameters online.

In regards to the setup, I was imagining a room setup as a grow room and then having some monotubs or shot gun terrariums in the same room but not too close to the lights. I'm not sure how well monotubs etc would go in a grow tent as the tent might already be packed full of other things and the mushrooms might be too close to the lights and become dry and overheated.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: on being green [Re: shanker]
    #602126 - 12/19/11 12:48 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Wait, are you talking about growing herb or mushrooms?  First, yes, many many experienced growers grow inside and specifically use their room exhaust to heat their homes/apartments.  I'm doing it right now as a matter of fact.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Loc: "The sticks"
Re: on being green [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #602131 - 12/19/11 01:51 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I use the exhaust of my heat to heat my bedroom when I sleep at night (that was one of the deciding factors FOR running it at night). I turn my window unit in the living room down while I do that.

My entire circulation system relies on this as a matter of fact. Since air moves from hotter to cooler the various sections between where the velcro or staples sit become air ducts.

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

See what you think on my first try.

Offlinebudnectar
Planetary Citizen

Re: on being green [Re: wire5]
    #602138 - 12/19/11 02:49 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Talkin bout ways of incorporating both herb and mush as a way of complementing the other. Just a thought for those who aren't always conscientious about conserving energy and whatnot. If I'd've assumed everyone already practiced this (which I'm sure most do) I would not have thought to recycle my phonebooks and worn-out laundry like that.

On a side note:
Although from what I gather, if you grow, your electric bill will always be at least a hundred bucks, correct? That's a big deal to me because I'm used to like a $15-27 bill.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #602155 - 12/19/11 06:21 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

A 1000 watt light cost me $52 a month on 12/12.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Offlinebudnectar
Planetary Citizen

Re: on being green [Re: KaptKid]
    #602177 - 12/19/11 09:31 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

KaptKid said:
A 1000 watt light cost me $52 a month on 12/12.

:strokebeard:

touche'

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Loc: "The sticks"
    #602200 - 12/20/11 03:07 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

budnectar said:
Talkin bout ways of incorporating both herb and mush as a way of complementing the other. Just a thought for those who aren't always conscientious about conserving energy and whatnot. If I'd've assumed everyone already practiced this (which I'm sure most do) I would not have thought to recycle my phonebooks and worn-out laundry like that.

On a side note:
Although from what I gather, if you grow, your electric bill will always be at least a hundred bucks, correct? That's a big deal to me because I'm used to like a $15-27 bill.

I noticed a bigger difference during the month of may and june when I started running my AC than I did when I had all my lights on for 24/7 for 30 days.

My setup only cost me like 20 dollars more. I'm still under 100 most winter months

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

See what you think on my first try.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder