Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepebble

strains
    #59674 - 06/17/08 08:58 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i've been looking at seeds online and it completely overwhelmed me...  theres thousands of seeds to choose from.  i was wondering if anyone had some good advice on a strain for indoor.  what plants have high yield, and are extremely potent/ great tasting, and any other wonderful qualities

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: strains [Re: pebble]
    #59770 - 06/18/08 12:57 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I dont have any experience with specific strains but sometimes I go on those seed websites and find a few that sound awesome

Right now im looking at http://www.highgrade-seeds.com/seedlist.html

and a couple that stick out are Purple Cindy and Electric Haze

then again I would smoke any of the strains listed on that site.... or any site

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: strains (moved) [Re: pebble]
    #59809 - 06/18/08 02:22 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

This thread was moved from Soil Cultivation.

Reason:
This belongs in the main forum as it doesn't have anything to do with soil.

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male

Loc: Florida
Re: strains (moved) [Re: Sirius]
    #59826 - 06/18/08 03:00 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

MAN

please look up k.c. brains

they don't ship to the u.s. but a lot of seed companies will ship their seeds to the u.s. like dopeseeds.com i think

the prices are like $15

anyway, if you grow something, please make a grow log, so we can all see what that stuff looks like!!

p.s. leda uno DID win the cannabis cup at some place on year

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

b*tch*s shouldn't call me a retard..

and this shit... "I like to drink tea, lift weights, punch shit, have sex with girls"....

is gay as f**k

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: strains (moved) [Re: Iamasmoker]
    #59983 - 06/18/08 12:20 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

what plants have high yield, and are extremely potent/ great tasting, and any other wonderful qualities

These questions are hard to answer as yield and potency are almost directly related to the experience and knowledge of the cultivator.  However some guidelines might help you make a choice.

Pure indica strains tend to be heavy yielders, northern lights and big bud varieties tend to be a popular choice for newbies as they're pretty resilient and produce generous yields with decent potency.

Hybrid strains can go either way with yields.  Hybrids and crosses may be a little more aromatic then others due to the mixing of the genetic traits.  If you're having trouble deciding on a pure strain sometimes a cross helps your decision because you can get the best of both worlds (like NL#5xHaze).

Pure sativas tend to be poor producers indoors.  They also require a decent amount of room to stretch and a more patience due to extended flowering cycles.  For people who like more cerebral, "heady", highs this is the way to go.  However for a first grow i would recommend against a pure sativa as they tend to be a bit pickier then the other two options.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlineoxalic32
Male
Re: strains (moved) [Re: coda]
    #60503 - 06/18/08 09:12 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

What strains are stealth? Either low growing or less distinctively looking.

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male

Re: strains (moved) [Re: oxalic32]
    #60758 - 06/19/08 01:00 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

shit, I thought it was just me. sativas are picky as fuck, and they're so thin and lanky at first. almost like they have a deficiency or some shit

yeah, i'd go with a hybrid/pure indica. that's why i recommended k.c. brains. they have a lot of brazilian genetics mixed with their high potency strains. seems like a good choice to fast growing resilient type shit.

if your growing outside and live in the north, then why the fuck not get something more indica hardy as i believe indica genetics are more cold weather conditioned. i know for sure sativa genetics are generally warm weathered.

am i wrong?

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

and this shit... "I like to drink tea, lift weights, punch shit, have sex with girls"....

is gay as f**k

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #60913 - 06/19/08 02:21 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

If you're going with KC Brains, you'll need to buy twice the amount of seeds you normally would. They are sold cheap, and you can get some amazing plants from them, but the germination rates are typically sub-par.

--------------------

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male

#61006 - 06/19/08 03:44 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

ahhh... hence the cheap prices

none the less, they have some bad ass strains

and they are cheap, so you could end up buying like 50 seeds and although maybe half will germinate you still have 25 plants wheras you buy 20 seeds for that same price from another site and then you'll have 17 seeds that germinate so you end up getting a better deal with k.c. brains

+ being that they're so cheap you can grow all different strains, and that's my favorite of all, a variety

i could smoke a blunt every 5 minutes if it was a different type of weed

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

is gay as f**k

OfflineHanky
Fat Ladies Bingo

Loc: Ass Flavour Pie Factory
    #61031 - 06/19/08 07:37 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Cheap seeds might sound like a good idea but as with anything, you only get what you pay for.

--------------------
Coaster Said:  "wut do u post bout flumbooyon"

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: strains (moved) [Re: Hanky]
    #62146 - 06/20/08 04:22 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

To some extent, but there are certainly overpriced strains out there, as well as great strains that could easily be a lot more expensive. The quality of Mandala Seeds, for example, is well-documented and they have great, low prices. Greenhouse Seeds has been cutting their prices, and they have great genetics as well, and those prices are simply a reflection of their business plan, not the quality of their genetics.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #62301 - 06/20/08 11:45 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

it's just like with any type of marketing.  You create a brand image and once that image becomes well known you can charge more for your product.  Case in point, soma seeds.  His genetics are good, but goddamn, his prices border on outrageous.

--------------------

OfflineHanky
Fat Ladies Bingo

#68889 - 06/30/08 09:46 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Considering the end result, even paying 200 euros for ten seeds isn't expensive when outlay is compared to product yield.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #68890 - 06/30/08 09:52 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

it's still a risk reward situation.  Granted genetics that cost upwards of 400$ a ten pack should be pretty damn stable, there still are the chances of getting bunk seeds or females that aren't worth a damn.

Also, while they may look enticing, i would definitely recommend buying cheaper genetics to work with.  I watched a friend of mine destroy close to 400 dollars worth of genetics just trying to get them damn things to sprout.

With that being said, i'd drop the cash on some nice genetics if it was a strain i've been pining for.  I still have 5 beans of somas NYCD left, can't wait to get them going again.

--------------------

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male

#68897 - 06/30/08 10:08 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

yeah

i'm sure anyone can screw up seeds

i've screwed up some seeds

some grow more easily than others

some can be overwatered very easily

you never know

with that in mind no matter how good the strain is can't you find a bad ass strain of the same quality for a more affordable price?

i mean, what are we going for here... what is a strain that's really good 15-18% right? what is a strain that's astronomical? 19-22%? i mean, do you really NEED some stuff that's going to get you an award? i can smoke whatever, i'm not a trainwreck pot snob, i'll smoke juicy fruit, california orange bud and whatever.

plus, here's something, what if you don't want an outlay of something worth a total grow of pounds and pounds and pounds

i want to start a closet and make sure to keep the maximum grow under 8 ounces? why? because i'm not selling it, so why would i want a seriously arrestable amount of weed in my house that i'm not going to be able to smoke with all my freinds(although considering that i know i could see the weed disappear in a moment)

plus if you consider the difference between 15 dollars for some 16% thc stuff, and 400 dollars for some 21% thc stuff, are we really getting that much better of a deal?

i don't know........

jack herrer, hindu kush, master kush, white widow, power plant

all these are sold off of nirvana seeds, and they have some damn good pictures in the photos section, are their genetics really so bad?

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

is gay as f**k

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #68903 - 06/30/08 10:22 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

with that in mind no matter how good the strain is can't you find a bad ass strain of the same quality for a more affordable price?

probably not.  The reason you see cheap genetics is because they're cheap!  Either F2's or above, they produce many pheno's, mutations, and poor plants.  With that said, you still can produce great plants with cheap seeds, it's not impossible.

The more expensive strains tend to be more stable.  These are genetics that have been around for ages, have had plants selected from thousands for genetic qualities, produce very few pheno's, and tend to produce more stable plants in general.

Quote:

some can be overwatered very easily

seeds really can't be over watered, seedlings can.

Quote:

i mean, what are we going for here... what is a strain that's really good 15-18% right? what is a strain that's astronomical? 19-22%? i mean, do you really NEED some stuff that's going to get you an award? i can smoke whatever, i'm not a trainwreck pot snob, i'll smoke juicy fruit, california orange bud and whatever.

first off, THC %'s should be taken with a grain of salt.  It's more marketing hype then anything.  Also, why wouldn't you want to strive for anything less then award winning bud?  You really want to grow some half assed shit and be happy with it?  If im investing 3 months of sweat and money i want to get the best possible product i can get.  I can see saying this if you're just starting out and want to learn the basics, but in the end if you're going to put the effort into it you should try to grow the best herb you can.

Quote:

plus, here's something, what if you don't want an outlay of something worth a total grow of pounds and pounds and pounds

To get pounds and pounds and pounds you're going to need a lot of plants for an indoor op.  Most personal growers net between 1-2 oz's per plant on average.  Some get more, some get less, but in general an oz per plant or so is pretty normal.  Don't want pounds?  Grow less plants, it's as easy as that.

Quote:

i want to start a closet and make sure to keep the maximum grow under 8 ounces? why? because i'm not selling it, so why would i want a seriously arrestable amount of weed in my house that i'm not going to be able to smoke with all my freinds(although considering that i know i could see the weed disappear in a moment)

That's up to you.  Most medical growers go through a lot of smoke, 8 oz's of smoke might only last them two months.  In a non perpetual harvest it takes at least two months just to flower more plants, then another week or so to dry them.  In this case the more you can yield the better (while still staying within the guidelines).  Obviously people growing for profit only want as much as possible to make more money.  People growing for personal use might want a larger harvest then normal to keep the number of grows per year down.  In the end though, while they do play a small part, yields are mostly determined by the experience and desire of the grower, not genetics.

Quote:

plus if you consider the difference between 15 dollars for some 16% thc stuff, and 400 dollars for some 21% thc stuff, are we really getting that much better of a deal?

yes.

Quote:

all these are sold off of nirvana seeds, and they have some damn good pictures in the photos section, are their genetics really so bad?

not bad, just not as stable and reliable as others.

--------------------

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male

#68908 - 06/30/08 10:35 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

seriously?

see man, i could grow SOME GOOD WEED, and if it wasn't THE BEST, and not COMPLETE crap, i'd be happy

personally, i'd grow anything and just let it resinate longer, and it'd still probably be better and cheaper for me if i got a descent enough yield

i couldn't care so much about getting 22% thc, 16 or 17% thc is a lot for me, so it wouldn't matter

do you know when i used to get the most high? when i was smoking really good buds

when i started smoking buds like trainwreck and such when i had a different hookup i wasn't getting as high before

you know why? because i had a tolerance

22% thc buds will build your tolerance up in a minute

i'm fine with some kickin ass 16% or 17% buds, if i can grow quite a lot of it, and spend virtually nothing compared to buying it

i could never see paying $400 dollars for 10 seeds a good deal.. i mean, if you're careful, they won't die

but you know, anything can die, i mean, that's $400 for a gamble

personally, i'm not a cannabis extremist, i like to smoke, and relax, and share weed with people who appreciate it

i couldn't care less about this $400 for an optimal grow and all this

if cannabis was legal, everyone would be trying to make an optimal grow, and it'd be easier, you could pick up a book from home depot, or your freind could show you, and seeds would be under a dollar a seed probably

although i understand, cannabis genetics are subject to change i've heard more than any plant in the world, so i guess keeping good genetics is vital. but still i've heard the chances of your genetics improving are 1/4, so the chances can't be that slim that you could keep your genetics improved without having a masters in botany

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

is gay as f**k

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #68913 - 06/30/08 10:54 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Iamasmoker said:
personally, i'd grow anything and just let it resinate longer, and it'd still probably be better and cheaper for me if i got a descent enough yield

can you teach us how to resinate our weed longer than normal?

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineHanky
Fat Ladies Bingo

#68920 - 06/30/08 11:10 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

i couldn't care so much about getting 22% thc, 16 or 17% thc is a lot for me, so it wouldn't matter

You don't seem to realize that psychoactive effects have more to do with differeing levels of a whole range of cannabinols rather than just THC percentage.

Quote:

but you know, anything can die, i mean, that's $400 for a gamble

I don't consider it a gamble, with common sense and some experience planting ten viable seeds will result in ten plants 99% of the time.

Quote:

but still i've heard the chances of your genetics improving are 1/4

I'm really not sure what you are trying to say here?  please explain.

--------------------

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male

#68969 - 06/30/08 06:19 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i don't know what you consider normal

but i've noticed from the few plants that resinate that i've seen, that it seems that you could get any plant at least 'alright' if you let it flower long enough

a lot of times i've bought weed that i know could be better, even when it's good, i guess that's what i meant by normal

yeah, i believe it's more than just thc percentage, after all, regs has like 5% thc but that doesn't mean that a plant with 15% thc is only going to get you 3 times higher than the same amount you'd smoke with regs
but usually it seems the stronger the better thcs

the 1/4 chance i was saying, my freind was explaining to me the chances of getting increased genetics with breeding

he said it has something to do with an f1 f2 and something 1 and something 2 i don't remember

he says if you don't specify which strains you breed and let them all breed together than you'll only have a 1/4 chance of the genetics improving instead of specifically selecting your f1 f2 and so forth

i don't know if i remember that correctly, because i didn't get a good solid explanation

from the seeds i've seen, it seems hard to pick out an exact way of seeing the chance of improving your genetics or at least keeping the same good genetics

when you have 40 seeds sprout, some will be way taller, some will be taller, some will all be the same, some will be smaller, and some will be way smaller

i guess if you knew what the strain you currently got seeds from looked like when it sprouted, i guess you could tell which ones were keepers to breed and not

but honestly until they get bigger, i think it'd be hard to tell

honestly, the rebreeding of cannabis seems like such a pain in the ass to me, keeping a mother seems simple, if you can just keep 2 closets or rooms and whatnot only 1 has to be light sealed perfectly i suppose

here's another question

does one room have to be light sealed completely? what about the full moon? that doesn't send a plant into flowering does it?

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

is gay as f**k

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals