Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Narnia Flag
Stanky Dank & Carbon Filters
    #594718 - 10/30/11 06:15 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hi guys,

This morning I put my nose to one of my 3 wk old plants and was able to smell it.
I've got a centrifugal fan that exhausts out of the window, which is right by the fence.

I went out and put my nose to the exhaust, and couldn't smell anything. The earliest I will be able to buy a carbon filter is Friday. What are the odds that my plants will be putting out enough smell to make my neighbours suspicious?
Do all seedlings have an aroma, when you put your nose to it? Or are they about to get to the stage where they stink?

Now that I've noticed it, and I still haven't bought myself a carbon scrubber, I'm getting a little worried, paranoid.

Your input will hopefully put my mind at ease, or make me figure out a way to get my carbon scrubber earlier.

Cheers
MagickZ

--------------------
In the human brain, the hypothalamus controls the four f's:
1. Fighting 2. Fleeing 3. Feeding and ...4. Mating

My Current Grow. Killing Fields & Heavy Duty Fruity!!!
My Grow Journal. First Grow EVER!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshanker
Stranger
Re: Stanky Dank & Carbon Filters [Re: magick81]
    #594727 - 10/30/11 09:13 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Dude, get a carbon filter ASAP. It's not worth getting busted cos you didn't fork out a few hundred for a carbon filter. Have you got a vent in the roof or anything? If so then you could direct the fan into the roof which will help.

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Loc: "The sticks"
    #594732 - 10/30/11 10:35 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I want to see what people say. I've noticed the same thing with a few of mine. First few times I smelled it I was like "No way, not already!?!" and chalked it up to the fish fertilizer.

After reading this though...  :feelsparanoidman:

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

See what you think on my first try.

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

Re: Stanky Dank & Carbon Filters [Re: wire5]
    #594776 - 10/30/11 06:58 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well I also thought it may be because I gave it its first feeding of fish emulsion. So is it the Fish Emulsion I'm smelling, or the plant?

Because I remember sniffing the bottle thinking to myself, it doesn't smell that bad, but 18 hours under those lights I reckon can make the stink stronger lol

I'll add a pole to the thread
What am I smelling?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (10/30/11 06:57 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

--------------------

Edited by magick81 (10/30/11 07:00 PM)

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

#594793 - 10/30/11 11:10 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'll be honest I think its both. I smell a couple of mine and I can detect the fish fertilizer. Than I smell others and its much more reminiscent of weed.... Now that's not to say its not just the fish emulsion coming through the leaves (after being "digested" by the plant)... But I can usually trust my nose, so long as it isn't spring.

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #594867 - 10/31/11 05:44 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Plants even in the vegetative phase can definitely have an odor.  Its not usually enough to worry about. 

They don't get really stinky until your a few weeks into the flowering phase.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

Re: Stanky Dank & Carbon Filters [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #594906 - 10/31/11 09:10 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I had 2 Bagseed in veg.  After about 3 weeks they smelled up the whole house after about 1 hour without the carbon filter on.  our house is about 1000 sq ft.  I don't know what strain these are of course.  I have read the smell is really strain dependent.  Indica is far more smelly than sativa during veg.

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Re: Stanky Dank & Carbon Filters [Re: phrostbyte]
    #594970 - 11/01/11 10:09 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

phrostbyte said:
  I have read the smell is really strain dependent.  Indica is far more smelly than sativa during veg.

Hmm, this is unusual because there are a couple plants I have which are definately sativa dominate. Or at least based off growth paterns and leave proportion I'd say they were sativa, but those are some of the stinkiest ones in the lot.

--------------------

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

#595176 - 11/02/11 03:49 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

It's just a generalisation, but of course there are exceptions to every rule. There are many sativa's that are stinky, and many indicas that have little or no smell. You probably have one of those strains that are the exception to the rule.

Many thanks guys.
I just went to water my plants, and the smell has gotten stronger lol.
Thankfully, I plan to buy my carbon filter very soon.

I just got my first payslip and I'm getting paid double what i expected lol. This place pays really well :laugh:

After midnight when the funds hit my account I'm gonna order many things lol. One of them that I cant wait for are the electric ciggarettes. They are still illegal in Australia as they haven't been approved yet, but I desperately need one as I need to give up the ciggs

--------------------

Edited by magick81 (11/02/11 03:52 AM)

Offlineshanker
Stranger
    #595188 - 11/02/11 05:29 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I hope you aren't ordering your grow stuff online with your Paypal account or credit/debit card. If you must buy it online then use a prepaid credit card. You can buy them from Woolworths and other shops. Remember that even if you use a prepaid credit card and you're using Ebay then it will still show on your Ebay account. The Australian Tax Office also checks people's Ebay accounts if they sell a lot of stuff so you are not precluded from being checked by government agencies.

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Re: Stanky Dank & Carbon Filters [Re: shanker]
    #595257 - 11/02/11 10:28 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I just use a guy to order my stuff. All I have to do is hand him a list and money (a lot of times he'll cover the cost too) and he does the rest.

While I always imagined my first grow to only have 1 other (2 if I were dating LOL) person besides myself who knew about it; but at least now I won't have to worry about getting rid of extra weight, and I have another wallat throwing money into the pot which means I don't have to go without pot!

I stuck my head into my garden today. I think I'm going to build a carbon filter during flowering :lol:  :awesomenod:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order