Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineI_AM_SWIM
Someone Who Isn't McKenna

Transplanting during flowering?
    #582778 - 09/01/11 03:17 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I'm about 3 weeks into flowering, maybe 4, I don't remember because I never kept track.

Anyway, the tree is about 2 ft tall already. It was about 1 ft when I first put it in flowering stage.

The problem is that I need to transplant it, because I don't want it to go rootbound (it hasn't yet)

Yet I heard on these forums, someone said that the roots stop growing when they are flowering. Is that true?

Should I transplant or should I just let it be? It's also getting too tall, and I don't have enough space, so I'm probably going to have to tie it down to something, IDK.

What should I do? The pot it's currently in would probably not even hold a gallon of water. It hasn't gone rootbound yet, because I don't see roots coming out of the bottom holes of the pot.

--------------------
:tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblec99hunter
 User Gallery

Re: Transplanting during flowering? [Re: I_AM_SWIM] * 1
    #582784 - 09/01/11 03:50 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Just because there are no roots coming out the bottom doesnt mean its not root bound, they can wrap around the sides too. But anyways, I would go ahead and transplant it if it was me and I was concerned it was going rootbound. Just be careful not to disturb the root system.

OfflineI_AM_SWIM

Re: Transplanting during flowering? [Re: c99hunter]
    #582789 - 09/01/11 04:28 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the tip. I think I'm going to cut the bottom of this one pot, and place it in
another pot full of soil. That seems the safest way to allow more root space without
transplanting, would you agree with this?

I appreciate the information on the fact that plants can go root bound by wrapping around
the sides of the pot.

Thanks man. :thumbup:

--------------------
:tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna:

Invisiblec99hunter
 User Gallery

#582798 - 09/01/11 05:19 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I used to "stack" like that as well and had no problems with it. :thumbup:

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #582800 - 09/01/11 05:20 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Transplanting during flowering isn't good I'm pretty sure.

I transplanted and then switched right into flower which was a huge mistake. It confused the plant really bad and didn't start flowering until almost a month later.

Think of it like this - you want all the branches and roots to be ready when you switch to flower. It might grow them some more during flower, but you want the plant to focus all of its attention on growing buds. Transplanting would shock the fuck out of it I'd think...and even if not, it'd be putting all that energy it should be making buds with into rooting.

I wouldn't do it. But thats just me in my limited knowledge.

Heres this:

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
Transplanting at the beginning of flower is fine.

But I wouldn't call yours "the beginning". I'd call that the middle.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineSmokinErb
Stranger
Re: Transplanting during flowering? [Re: c99hunter] * 1
    #582803 - 09/01/11 05:24 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Up-potting is a pretty common method, and a safe one at that.  One question though, if you're short on vertical space, how are you going to accomplish this? 

Your plant should more or less stop growing vertically and start putting on bud weight at this point in time - if you've got vertical room left, you've probably got enough.

You never mentioned what size of pot your'e growing in - you could be fine in the pot you're in right now.  You said it's about 2' tall, so a 2 gallon pot should be large enough.  You could possibly scrape by with a 1 gallon pot, and frequent watering.

Invisiblec99hunter
 User Gallery

Re: Transplanting during flowering? [Re: SmokinErb] * 1
    #582828 - 09/01/11 06:45 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

If yourplants are rootbound and you can do something about it, you should and as soon as possible at that. It would probably be better to stack the pots. I would rather transplant at 3 weeks and slow the process down a little bit and harvest later then expected then to allow them to continue budding while rootbound.

OfflineI_AM_SWIM

#582847 - 09/01/11 07:46 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah I'm going to stack the pots. That sounds like the safest option.

As for vertical space, I have about 1.3 meters.

It's already grown even more, so I had to tie it down. I can raise the lights, but
they can only be moved up to about 4 - 5 inches more.

Is it bad to LST it during flowering?
I know it's something to do during vegetation, and heard that it's okay
to do when flowering as well, as long as you have been doing it during the vegetation
stage.

But I never LST'ed this plant during vegetation, and I am doing it mid flowering.
Do you think this will cause any problems; since it wasn't used to this stress earlier in
its life? Would starting an LST during flowering cause some sort of shock?

I wasn't expecting it to get this big, and it seems to just keep growing.

Thanks for the input everybody!

:heart:

--------------------

OfflineI_AM_SWIM

Re: Transplanting during flowering? [Re: I_AM_SWIM]
    #582999 - 09/02/11 08:36 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

So I ended up transplanting it. I tried cutting the bottom of the original container, but it
became messy, and there were roots on the bottom; so in fear of damaging the roots, I softly
yanked it out, and it came out very easily. It was not root bound, but it definitely needed
a new container. So now I have 3 gallon container.

The problem is, the bigger the container, the more vertical space it uses. I'm at my limit
at the moment and it cant raise my lights anymore.

The plant is currently being tied down. At least this allows more light to the lower regions
of the plant.

I'm excited, I'll post pics soon.

--------------------

Invisiblec99hunter
 User Gallery

#583018 - 09/02/11 11:40 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I've had to pinch top buds and kind of break them to make them fit in the room before. I wouldn't recommend it but I have done it before with no problems. It's definitely better then allowing them to get burned by the lights so if you have to do it, that's the better option in my opinion.

Basically you just find a good spot where if pinched and laid sideways would give the cola enough room from the light without being burnt. Then just pinch the stem until you feel it give and gently push it down. Dont BREAK the stem, just kind of crush it in on itself gently. I have never had any problems doing it that way :thumbup:

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #583027 - 09/02/11 12:15 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I had a plant that got severely nute burned and more or less topped itself. The colas (already topped) kinda split into 3 mini-colas and just kept going.

Its a pretty resilient plant.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineI_AM_SWIM

#583028 - 09/02/11 12:15 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the tip! I think I will see how tying it down goes before actually pinching it.
I don't want to accidentally harm this sexy lady.
But at the same time, it's much better than being burnt by the lights.

I've counted about 12 spots where pistillate's are going wild. It seems to be doing fine
with the transplant and LST. It's still growing towards the light, but if it gets too close,
i'll just tie that lady down BDSM style. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineI_AM_SWIM

#586442 - 09/15/11 12:53 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

This is 18 days since I first saw 1 little hair doin' its thang.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder