Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJrsxt

How do you tell gender?
    #57497 - 06/14/08 04:49 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I've done a bit of searching and reading around, but i'm still not crystal on this. I am pretty sure I have preflowers on my plant. It is fully matured now. How do I tell if it's a male or female? I looked on the stem where the leaves/branches come out and it seems there is something there. Kinda hard to tell though. Does anyone have any really clear pictures of what to look for?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male

Loc: Florida
Re: How do you tell gender? [Re: Jrsxt]
    #57500 - 06/14/08 04:57 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

if you look up male female cannabis on the internet, then look at the image search, you should find dozens of pictures of the difference between male and female plants.

here's a good point to make, the pistils grow upwards and look like long thick weed hairs if they weren't red and were WAY thicker. not as wiry looking.

the male pollen sacks shouldn't look like pistils, they should look like pod growths, eventually turning into banana looking pods

it shouldn't be too hard to tell man

the female flowers will automatically grow pistils out of the top of a plant, like you just saw a big pistily bushy flower grow right off the top of your plant.

the male sacks are different

was that a good description? anyone care to reitterate?

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

b*tch*s shouldn't call me a retard..

and this shit... "I like to drink tea, lift weights, punch shit, have sex with girls"....

is gay as f**k

OfflineStorkOfLife
The Stork of Life
Male

Loc: its serious
Re: How do you tell gender? [Re: Iamasmoker]
    #57509 - 06/14/08 05:07 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

EARLY SEXING- Cannabis Marijuana seeds Growing Guide
It is possible to tell the sex of a plant early, and thus move male plants out of the main growing area sooner by covering a plant is lower branch for 12 hours a day while it is in a constant light vegetative state. Use a black paper bag or equivalent to allow for air flow while keeping out light. Be sure to set up a regular cycle for these covered branches. If light is allowed to reach them during the dark period, they may not indicate early at all.

Use a magnifying glass to look at the early flowers sex type. A male plant will have a small club (playing card) looking preflower with a small stem under it. A female flower is usually a single or double pistil, white and wispy, emerging from an immature calyx.

Some people like to pre-force plants when they are 8" tall, in order to weed out the males. When growing outdoors, many growers do not wish to devote time, space or energy to male plants. Just put the plants on a 12 hours light cycle for 2 weeks, separate the females from the males, then revert the light cycle back to 18-24 hours to continue vegatative growth for the females. Keep in mind, this is a time consuming process and can put the plants back 2 weeks in growth. Do not pre-force plants unless you have lots of time. Just cover one branch per plant with black paper (light tight, breaths air) 12 hours every day under constant light to force pre-flowers and differentiate early.

Female and Feminized Seed

During the 1960's and 1970's some cannabis breeders took to experimenting with Colchicine. Colchicine, a powerful mutagen for both man and beast, stops cell duplication, while the cellcore duplication continues the same. The end result is a doubling or more of the chromosome set. This treatment can be beneficial to cannabis because it enforces many properties such as higher production of thc and resistance to disease. What also resulted, when gender chromosomes doubled, is that male or female chromosomes appear manifold, called Hermaphrodites. What's the plant to become? It becomes all at once. The result is called feminized or effeminate seed.
Genetically, a cannabis plant is more or less predisposed to become male or female. This is regulated by 2 chromosomes everyone knows as the X and Y chromosomes. A plant with 2 XX chromosomes becomes female. A plant with an X and Y turns into a male. Plants have hormones that regulate it's functioning, of which gender is one of those functions. The hormone balance is genetically determined, and partly influenced by environmental factors. An example is when plant roots get damaged. The roots will produce a substance that in turn slows down leaf growth. The result is male flowers. When discussing hormone balance you get FEMALE SEED: a female is a plant with XX or only female chromosomes.
When you have a seed with just X chromosomes, you are certain this seed will grow into a plant that is genetically female. To achieve the XX only plant: a female plant is forced by a hormone called Gibberellic Acid to produce male flowers, the pollen created contains only X chromosomes, when you offer this pollen to another female plant you can be absolutely certain to get seeds which are 100% XX. Once again this seed is called FEMALE SEED. Gibberellic Acid can be found in online. It takes years for an individual to achieve the proper plant hormone manipulation to get 100% female XX seed. Supplies therefore fluctuate and there are many different strains available worldwide.

--------------------
Im a Stork and it turns you on. period.

OfflineJrsxt

Re: How do you tell gender? [Re: StorkOfLife]
    #57513 - 06/14/08 05:38 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks. I read through that, but that wasn't what I was looking for. I just wanted some clear pictures. I've searched but haven't really found any that I can see good enough.

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male

Loc: Florida
    #57519 - 06/14/08 06:09 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

dude

search 'male female cannabis' on the image search, you're going to get 5000 pictures or something

I just said that

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

b*tch*s shouldn't call me a retard..

and this shit... "I like to drink tea, lift weights, punch shit, have sex with girls"....

is gay as f**k

OfflineJrsxt

Re: How do you tell gender? [Re: Iamasmoker]
    #57538 - 06/14/08 06:49 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Iamasmoker said:
dude

search 'male female cannabis' on the image search, you're going to get 5000 pictures or something

I just said that

Which is what I have been doing. I found a few pictures that kinda helped, it's just hard to tell right now. I'm pretty sure that I said I searched in my first post. I'm looking for PEOPLE'S pictures of them.

OfflineStorkOfLife
The Stork of Life
Male

Loc: its serious
    #62277 - 06/20/08 11:11 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

mine are on the virge of preflowering ill upload em in a week :wink:

--------------------
Im a Stork and it turns you on. period.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How do you tell gender? [Re: StorkOfLife]
    #62297 - 06/20/08 11:41 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

this is a female preflower.  They're unmistakable.  I haven't been able to find a good pic of a male preflower, but, if yours don't look like this (IE no stigma) chances are it's a male.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: How do you tell gender? [Re: coda]
    #62555 - 06/20/08 04:54 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

male:

here's a good side-by-side:

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Offlinefreepain

Re: How do you tell gender? [Re: Yrat]
    #62837 - 06/21/08 01:18 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Look for the balls

--------------------
01010011011011010110111101101011011001010010000001110111011001010110010101100100001000000110010101110110011001010111001001111001011001000110000101111001

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How do you tell gender? [Re: freepain]
    #63063 - 06/21/08 01:39 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

yrat: that's exactly what i was looking for with your first pic.  I wanted to be able to show how the male preflower has a little stalk on it.  That picture is perfect for it.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom