Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheparanoiD-9
Stranger
A little confusion on CFL vs HID
    #569376 - 07/04/11 12:15 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Hey guys, first post, just transfered over from Shroomery, trying to get a little closet op going in the next month. Nothing big probably 2 plants, 250 or 300 watt.

Anyway i have been reading over some older posts on lighting ventilation and at first it seemed clear that HPS need and exaust vent in a small space (say 2x4). My closet has no ports for vents and i cant go cutting holes in my appartment. I started looking at CFL's, but apparently they create even more heat per lumen overall.

So my question, is there a way to do a small grow like this without spending serious bank on inline fans and air scrubbers?

also, what kind of lighting setup would you recommend for a situation like this(2-3 plants in small closet, preferably as stealth as possible)?

I do want to do it right one day, but im growing on a budget right now. Thanks for any responses guys.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDaniel420
Stranger

Re: A little confusion on CFL vs HID [Re: TheparanoiD-9]
    #569391 - 07/04/11 02:32 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds like some information Ill be using aswell. The more info the better.

--------------------
Medical use only

Offlinekln
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A little confusion on CFL vs HID [Re: Daniel420]
    #569413 - 07/04/11 07:15 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I would use a 250W HPS for that space, you can get away with a small bathroom exhaust, and some pc fans blowing air around.
Even if you go with cfl's, you will pretty much need exhaust too, You got to renew the air in your grow, so your plants have a fresh supply of CO2, and so you can be able to control temps.

And to take care of the smell, you could use this:

Edited by kln (07/04/11 07:15 AM)

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #569420 - 07/04/11 09:11 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

TheparanoiD-9 said:
Hey guys, first post, just transfered over from Shroomery, trying to get a little closet op going in the next month. Nothing big probably 2 plants, 250 or 300 watt.

Anyway i have been reading over some older posts on lighting ventilation and at first it seemed clear that HPS need and exaust vent in a small space (say 2x4). My closet has no ports for vents and i cant go cutting holes in my appartment. I started looking at CFL's, but apparently they create even more heat per lumen overall.

So my question, is there a way to do a small grow like this without spending serious bank on inline fans and air scrubbers?

also, what kind of lighting setup would you recommend for a situation like this(2-3 plants in small closet, preferably as stealth as possible)?

I do want to do it right one day, but im growing on a budget right now. Thanks for any responses guys.

You can find these HPS and/or MH security lights at homedepot, lowes, walmart, big lots, etc and if you catch it at the right time they'll be on sale and only be like 30-40 dollars for around 100 watts of good power which has the bulb,ballast,reflector everything...You rewire it to be used on a 120v outlet, I can show you how I have a log somewhere here explaining it a little.

But I bought a 70 dollar 150 watt HPS thats running at my GF's place and it does great with a couple of small plants...Heat can be dealt with using some small PC fans just rig up a way to do it. So like 100 dollars or something, but if you want to get started you can get like the big CFL bulbs designed for growing usually for pretty cheap but yields will be less.

There are several options I guess tell me your budget and I can be more helpful. Most people slurge on lighting and fans and use miracle grow soil and nutrients which is ridiculous it should be the other way around =]

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineTheparanoiD-9
Stranger
    #569453 - 07/04/11 12:05 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

alright good info guys.

kln: im looking into that ONA, that seems like the solution i was looking for. Even found a little tek to mount a fan ontop of the ONA to keep it circulating around.

mh bound: wow those light prices arent too bad. if you could find the link to that guide that would be great.

im trying to keep my equipment costs at around 500, since i know it will be another 100 or so in elec. however, i know enough to realize that money on lights is well worth it. Id like to get HPS if i can swing it, im just trying to find the cheapest way to do this :smile:

also, any ideas on where to find a PC fan with out stripping them from trashed PC's(eg. what store)?

good advice so far, keep the responses comin!

Offlinekln
Stranger
 User Gallery

#569486 - 07/04/11 02:21 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

If you live in europe i can make you some nice list of equipment for that space,and with less money

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #569487 - 07/04/11 02:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

If you want a decent HID light, I would check out Craigslist.com. the health and beauty section or the farm and garden section... just the other day I saw an ad for 6 400watt HPS shop lights for $200! You can usually find a 400 watter for about a hundred bucks. And that's ballast, reflector and cords, for the most part. I wouldn't reccommend buying used bulbs though...

--------------------
My best run so far

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies