Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepaducahovoids
Stranger
 User Gallery

help me train this plant! (pics)
    #567238 - 06/25/11 09:50 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

sooooooooo........here it is I was thinking, it would be a piece of cake to tie it down, but what if I wanted a clone? It appears to me to have 12 sets of internodes, If I top it, and attempt to root the cutting, how far down could I go? Should I just use the top couple sets of nodes, or would it be ok to cut it about 4 nodes down and have a rather robust clone, right off the bat? Would it be better to save the clone for a mother plant, or would it be better to save the rest of the plant for the mother? P.S., obvoiusly, I'm growing in soil. Right now it's under a 250w HPS, but I have another 250 hps, that I plan to fire up to keep the mother under. Ant good suggestions? Any tips? Hows it look?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
Re: help me train this plant! (pics) [Re: paducahovoids]
    #567272 - 06/25/11 12:02 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The plants are looking like they're doing fine, though the one in the smaller bucket could use a little TLC as I notice some yellowing on the lower leaves.  If you did not use a nutrient rich soil to begin with and have not been supplementing with nutrients, you should consider including some balanced nitrogen-rich nutrients in your watering schedule during the vegetative stage (and subsequently switching to a balanced phosphorous-rich nutrient regiment during the flowering stage).  Just don't over do it, some strains are very sensitive!

In so far as training, I typically top my plants well before they get to the size that your yellow bucket plant is at.  This is simply a function of wanting the plant to bush out from a lower point on its stalk as well as to keep the plants small while they are waiting in the clone cabinet for other flowering females to finish up.  IF you're not planning to flower for the next two weeks or more, go ahead and top that bad boy.  If you plan to flower sooner than that, I'd just snip a couple of clones and flower as is, since the plant may not have adequate time to fully recover in less than two weeks.

I tend to take cuttings from the lowest branches on the plant, using the last 2" of the branch tip for the clone (and trimming excessive foliage before dipping into a rooting hormone and placing in peat pellets inside of a mini-greenhouse).  I do this because the lowest branches on the plant probably aren't going to yield much anyway (being farther away from the light), and the stems are typically softer.  I have seen higher  success rates when cloning with smaller, more tender cuttings; as opposed to using the main central stalk that tends to be fatter, more woody, and supports more vegetative growth.

Lastly, I highly endorse the use of a screen (or just some string and/or twist ties) to "low stress train" (aka LST) a plant's canopy so that its bud sites are fairly equidistant from the light source.  In conjunction with early topping, a screen of green (and/or diligent tying) will greatly increase yield for an indoor grow with a single light source.

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

Offlinepaducahovoids
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: help me train this plant! (pics) [Re: geokills]
    #567321 - 06/25/11 04:38 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks! Sounds like good advice, I think I'll just tie it down and cut the lights, or should I give it time to recover from a couple clones off the bottom?. That one poor little fellow intrigued my cats when he was blowing in the wind, So he/she got hurt:sad: I just transplanted them all into 5 gallon buckets, so there is no more little red planters:thumbup:
    If you look in the bucket, the dirt only goes about half-way up, I was thinking that when the lower leaves died, I would put more dirt in there, there's a good 6 inches between the dirt and the first node
    Should I brush rooting powder on the stem before I add more dirt? I can see possible pros and cons :vaped:  I'm probably missing something obvious. The plant in the bucket is the only one I'm really concerned with, it's the only brand name seed, the others are just bull-shit. So I have 4-5 gallon buckets which are 12" in diameter=4 sq. ft. It's a 250 w hps, do you think this is enough lumens with no sides? I'm afraid if I add sides I won't have enough airflow to keep it cool and the humidity down and have a breeze Anyone ever NOT use sidewalls? Well, I guess there is 2 walls :drag:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck