Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline40oz
Stranger
first post, first grow, building a discreet cabinet & lighting questions. (help me shop?)
    #561891 - 06/04/11 03:58 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

hi peeps! i just got my medical card a few days ago, so I'm celebrating properly!

the cabinet:
I'm building a cabinet that's 4' foot wide (46" inside dimensions), by about 5 feet tall give or take, & 20 inches deep.
the veg compartment will be on the bottom deck about 1.5 feet tall. the face of the cabinet will have mock drawers & knobs but will actually be a door.
the total vertical measurement of the entire cabinet will be 7 feet tall:
the remaining space above the grow compartments will have shelves to store food & pantry items to help the illusion of discreetness.

the power:
unfortunately, my house is old & was wired pretty crappy.
all of the main rooms & common areas were wired on the same 15amp
circuit. needless to say the breaker is maxed out & the breaker trips
when you plug in the vacuum or even a hair blow dryer.
to alleviate some of the load, i bought an additional breaker (cost me $60 total >_<) & will attempt to add it to the breaker box to divert
the power use in the garage, so the garage will be on its' own circuit.
(the power use in the garage is pretty high)
however, i just bought a mini-fridge & an 810w UPC backup for my pc
so I'm not too sure how much power I'll have left. if all else fails,
i can run an extension cord from the laundry rooms dedicated circuit
but that would spoil discreetness...i would like to avoid that if i can.

the lighting:
veg deck: I'm leaning towards a 4 foot t5 flouro if the length of the fixture can squeeze the inside dimension of 46" inches.

flower deck: I'm leaning towards either a 400 or 600 watt mh/hps system, depending on what you guys say i should do given the power constraints.
i do want a "cool tube" type lighting fixture, though.
(also, by how many degrees would the room temperature rise
in an 11'x14'?) (i can only vent into the room & use a window fan to bring in new/cool air)

ballast: i want a quality digital ballast that is completely silent, but not overly expensive. i was looking at this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/120V-240V-400W-Lumatek-Hydrofarm-Ballast-400-Watt-/120727860389?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1bf0f4a5#ht_2955wt_1022
& this fixture:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Xtrasun-6-Air-Coolable-Reflector-Hydrofarm-Cooled-NEW-/120693500648?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c19e4aae8#ht_2889wt_966

i notice that the cords on the ballast are proprietary, but I'm pretty sure i can mod the cords to allow any lighting fixture for the ballast.
(anyone do this yet?) (however this might negate the warranty unless i
open up the ballast & solder a new cord from the contact points & re-solder the proprietary cord back on if any problems arise)

I'm not very schooled on what's good so if you guys could also give me a bulb(s?), inline blower & carbon scrubber recommendation, preferably as quiet running as possible, yet not too expensive.

so that's that! the build of the cab begins now from the floor up,
should (hopefully) be a fun project.

any help would be great! thanks friends! =D

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: first post, first grow, building a discreet cabinet & lighting questions. (help me shop?) [Re: 40oz]
    #562223 - 06/05/11 04:11 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

40oz said:
hi peeps! i just got my medical card a few days ago, so I'm celebrating properly!

the cabinet:
I'm building a cabinet that's 4' foot wide (46" inside dimensions), by about 5 feet tall give or take, & 20 inches deep.
the veg compartment will be on the bottom deck about 1.5 feet tall. the face of the cabinet will have mock drawers & knobs but will actually be a door.
the total vertical measurement of the entire cabinet will be 7 feet tall:
the remaining space above the grow compartments will have shelves to store food & pantry items to help the illusion of discreetness.

the power:
unfortunately, my house is old & was wired pretty crappy.
all of the main rooms & common areas were wired on the same 15amp
circuit. needless to say the breaker is maxed out & the breaker trips
when you plug in the vacuum or even a hair blow dryer.
to alleviate some of the load, i bought an additional breaker (cost me $60 total >_<) & will attempt to add it to the breaker box to divert
the power use in the garage, so the garage will be on its' own circuit.
(the power use in the garage is pretty high)
however, i just bought a mini-fridge & an 810w UPC backup for my pc
so I'm not too sure how much power I'll have left. if all else fails,
i can run an extension cord from the laundry rooms dedicated circuit
but that would spoil discreetness...i would like to avoid that if i can.

why not put the cab in the laundry room and disguise it as a chemicals locker that is kept locked?

the lighting:
veg deck: I'm leaning towards a 4 foot t5 flouro if the length of the fixture can squeeze the inside dimension of 46" inches.

flower deck: I'm leaning towards either a 400 or 600 watt mh/hps system, depending on what you guys say i should do given the power constraints.
i do want a "cool tube" type lighting fixture, though.
(also, by how many degrees would the room temperature rise
in an 11'x14'?) (i can only vent into the room & use a window fan to bring in new/cool air)
I'm not too sure because I have a 1000 watt, but when it was in my bedroom it was tough to keep it cool. Now its in the livingroom and still we're having a hard time keeping the temps below 80 degrees! And we have 2 window fans, the bottom one blowing in, the top one blowing out. We have the air tube from the hood taped straight to the top fan, blowing the hot air outside along with a tube taped to the intake, blowing semi-cold air into the room. We are gonna have to break down here soon and get a portable ac unit and stop relying on the outside air being cool enough to keep the temps down. 

ballast: i want a quality digital ballast that is completely silent, but not overly expensive. i was looking at this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/120V-240V-400W-Lumatek-Hydrofarm-Ballast-400-Watt-/120727860389?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1bf0f4a5#ht_2955wt_1022
& this fixture:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Xtrasun-6-Air-Coolable-Reflector-Hydrofarm-Cooled-NEW-/120693500648?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c19e4aae8#ht_2889wt_966

I'll betcha that if you talked to our sponsor RVF supply, he'd be able to get you a better deal on the light and ballast setup. Remember, when buying a ballast from one guy and the hood from another on ebay, you're paying for the shipping twice, whereas you could be paying it once with him. here is a hood very similar to the one you had up, I believe. I think his lumatek ballasts are slightly more expensive, but when you're only paying shipping once, I think it would even out. Especially if you ordered your can and filter through him at the same time as well

i notice that the cords on the ballast are proprietary, but I'm pretty sure i can mod the cords to allow any lighting fixture for the ballast.
(anyone do this yet?) (however this might negate the warranty unless i
open up the ballast & solder a new cord from the contact points & re-solder the proprietary cord back on if any problems arise)

I couldn't recommend doing this unless you've got some electrician's experience. Faulty wiring can cause fires, and fires destroy grow rooms, crops, homes and lives.

I'm not very schooled on what's good so if you guys could also give me a bulb(s?), inline blower & carbon scrubber recommendation, preferably as quiet running as possible, yet not too expensive.

RVF also has fan and filter combos that are very competitively priced!

so that's that! the build of the cab begins now from the floor up,
should (hopefully) be a fun project.

any help would be great! thanks friends! =D

Also, congrats on getting your medical card!! What state are you in?

I was also curious to know as to why you wanted to keep things so discreet? Do you have kids, or a roommate situation?

--------------------
My best run so far

Offline40oz
Stranger
Re: first post, first grow, building a discreet cabinet & lighting questions. (help me shop?) [Re: Tank333]
    #562310 - 06/06/11 04:43 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

>why not put the cab in the laundry room and disguise it as a chemicals locker that is kept locked?

it's completely filled with a washer, dryer & deep freezer. >_<

Quote:

I'm not too sure because I have a 1000 watt, but when it was in my bedroom it was tough to keep it cool. Now its in the living room and still we're having a hard time keeping the temps below 80 degrees! And we have 2 window fans, the bottom one blowing in, the top one blowing out. We have the air tube from the hood taped straight to the top fan, blowing the hot air outside along with a tube taped to the intake, blowing semi-cold air into the room. We are gonna have to break down here soon and get a portable ac unit and stop relying on the outside air being cool enough to keep the temps down. 

ouch. that's exactly what i want to avoid.
it's an average of 60*F-80*F relative temperature where i live btw,
& i think I'm going to go with a 600w system.
(can anyone guesstimate how many degrees it'll rise?)

Quote:

I'll betcha that if you talked to our sponsor RVF supply, he'd be able to get you a better deal on the light and ballast setup. Remember, when buying a ballast from one guy and the hood from another on ebay, you're paying for the shipping twice, whereas you could be paying it once with him. here is a hood very similar to the one you had up, I believe. I think his lumatek ballasts are slightly more expensive, but when you're only paying shipping once, I think it would even out. Especially if you ordered your can and filter through him at the same time as well

well, i did the price-shopping comparison & even with shipping, RVF is by far more expensive.
I've come to the conclusion i want the 6" cool tube reflector, he sells it for $131.95, & i found it new on ebay for $99.95 shipped,
& i want the 600w lumatek ballast, he sells for $219.95, found new on ebay for $172.90 shipped.
that's a price diff $79.05 without his shipping fee. =/
i might send him a message to see if he'll price match & come up with a better combo with lights, can fan, scrubber, etc
but i dunno, once i commit on what i want to buy, i usually don't wait on anyone lol

>Also, congrats on getting your medical card!! What state are you in?
caliiii =D
well it's great that i got it, but it sucks being disabled.

>I was also curious to know as to why you wanted to keep things so discreet? Do you have kids, or a roommate situation?
lots of reasons,
but the most important is that i don't want anyone breaking in to steal my shit. lol

also, another question, if the inline fan fails for whatever reason, how hot will the bulb area get with that reflector?
i want to get this:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Flame+Defender&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1400&bih=941&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11806757441191255687&sa=X&ei=GqPsTerRGM3r0QHK88HUAg&ved=0CFIQ8wIwAQ#scoring=tp

but it explodes at 155*F, so I'm concerned about placement of the light & internal temps setting it off
given the small size of the chamber.
with the fan, scrubber & extinguisher, i won't have much of a growing area >_<

well im gonna ptfo, it's almost 4 am, will write more later. thanks for your help =)

Offlinegris47
Stranger
Re: first post, first grow, building a discreet cabinet & lighting questions. (help me shop?) [Re: 40oz]
    #563159 - 06/09/11 05:40 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

putting the cab in the laundry room is not a bad idea at all!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck