Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOrgoneConclusion
Stranger
Electrocuting your plants!
    #553654 - 05/06/11 09:20 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Note that these ideas are not original nor are they conclusive. I would like to see more experimenters jump on board as this is potentially a huge leap forward.

The premise is that by running a very low current through your soil, the plant is aided in making ion-exchange of certain minerals easier and more biologically available. Seeing as how I am NOT a chemist nor a botanist, ask me no questions on this.

Here is the pictorial evidence (not proof) on two separate strains being powered by a 3.5V mini solar panel and one a 1.5V battery. All were grown under identical lighting and soil.

As you can see, the electrostim plants were 50% to 100% larger.

Why didn't I continue the experiment? Well, the solar cell got it's light blocked by the leaves and the battery ran dead. The main problem though was that the iron electrodes corroded and were near useless.

For anyone wanting to attempt this, I suggest using gold-plated electrodes and placing one each about 2-3 inches from the seedling and about 3-4" deep. Another option might be to use pure carbon electrodes from the center of gutted 'D' batteries.

I only have a small closet space and is very hard to do controlled experiments with a large number of clones - which is the ideal way to test. Also, a current and voltage controlled power supply would come in handy (expensive though) to fine tune the optimal settings and to alter as the plant grows larger.

Lots of room here to take our beloved plant to the next level.

Edited by OrgoneConclusion (05/07/11 02:51 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: Electrocuting your plants! [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #553714 - 05/07/11 12:48 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

:strokebeard: Interesting experiment.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineOrgoneConclusion
Stranger
Re: Electrocuting your plants! [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #553717 - 05/07/11 03:05 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

As a sound dude you might be interested to find out that sound also may have a stimulating effect. However, music won't cut it as popular myth contends. You need ultrasound in the 20KHZ-50KHZ range at around 1 watt RMS.

I know growers who will spend Big Bucks on complicated C02 setups for an extra 5% yield or so, but don't seem keen to check out electro-stimulation which could yield much larger gains for less investment.

Invisiblenight trainV
Male

Loc: Midwest, US
    #553731 - 05/07/11 08:51 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.sunlightsupply.com/p-14169-biowave-hydro.aspx

Something like this rig. I just saw it in a garden supplier catalog.

OfflineOrgoneConclusion
Stranger
Re: Electrocuting your plants! [Re: night train]
    #553741 - 05/07/11 09:28 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Very futuristic! Note that that rig is using subsonic waves which is somewhat different than ultrasonic waves. The reason I am thinking it might be using another principle is that regular sound waves do not seem to work so apparently plants are not able to use the full spectrum of sonic energy.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Electrocuting your plants! [Re: OrgoneConclusion] * 2
    #553762 - 05/07/11 11:41 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Actually, there have been studies on playing straight music to plants.  And they do show improvement when playing music.  It doesn't have to be ultrasonic sound.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleNanook
I CANT SEE
Male

Loc: The Frozen Tundra Flag
Re: Electrocuting your plants! [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #554213 - 05/09/11 03:01 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

in the pics it looks like the leaves are about the same size but the electrostim plants are more stretched?

could it just be stress causing excessive stem growth?

a test through harvest should be done by someone soon so we can see how it effects yields.

--------------------

the spirit of Nanook

1400W 1st log

3000W 2nd log (current)

OfflineOrgoneConclusion
Stranger
Re: Electrocuting your plants! [Re: Nanook]
    #554228 - 05/09/11 07:39 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Check out this in-depth article.

I am surprised that such a promising technique (or collection of techniques) has not been more widely explored. Which, of course, is why I mention it here. If I had the space I would do a serious controlled study from start to finish, but alas, my circumstances are not conducive to growing more than a few plants.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Electrocuting your plants! [Re: Nanook]
    #554229 - 05/09/11 07:47 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Nanook said:could it just be stress causing excessive stem growth?

Exactly what I was thinking. I dunno if its more the plants reacting positively to the electric charge or the plant trying to get its important parts the fuck away from it. I suppose it isn't fair to judge from seedlings either, clones would be the only surefire way to know. I've had seedlings 5x bigger than others in the same exact conditions :shrug:

Interesting study though.

Oddly enough, it looks like the one with the solar panel (more volts) is reacting more noticeably positively than the battery one.

Neat.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineOrgoneConclusion
Stranger
Re: Electrocuting your plants! [Re: RasJeph]
    #554232 - 05/09/11 09:02 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

It is not about stress, but about increasing the uptake of minerals.

Note that one is a sativa and one is an indica which makes comparison difficult. Of course, no real conclusions can be drawn from such a tiny sample size.

Also the battery was on 24 hours a day and slowly discharged while the solar cell output was fairly constant (until shaded by the leaves) and was off when the lights were out.

InvisibleNanook
I CANT SEE
Male

Loc: The Frozen Tundra Flag
    #554245 - 05/09/11 11:55 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

good article.

Quote:

"Under the influence of the electrical current, the numerical proportions between hemp plants of different sexes was changed by comparison with the control to give an increased number of female plants by 20-25%, in connection with a reduction in the intensity of the oxidative processes in the plant tissues."

there is a lot of talk about electricity effecting different species differently.

the following quote tells us a little more about the type of electricity to use:

Quote:

When using AC, great care must be taken to prevent electrocution of oneself and the plants. AC generally tends to retard plant growth except within certain narrow parameters of voltage and amperage. Dicotyledon plants increase in weight at 10 KV and 100 KV, but decrease in weight (as much as 45%) between 20 to 60 KV. Current must be very low, or plant growth will be retarded.

--------------------

the spirit of Nanook

1400W 1st log

3000W 2nd log (current)

Edited by Nanook (05/09/11 11:58 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck