Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemikeytro
Male

can you tell the sex of a plant before flowering?
    #54816 - 06/10/08 01:56 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

because mine is producing pistils and definitely looks female...yet I haven't changed the light cycle at all
its on 24 hours a day, I was under the assumption that you cant tell either way until you induce flowering

also - the plant is about 3 feet high

is it possibly because the roots are running out of room in the pot?

--------------------
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one" _ Einstein

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: can you tell the sex of a plant before flowering? [Re: mikeytro]
    #54862 - 06/10/08 04:17 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mikeytro said:
because mine is producing pistils and definitely looks female...yet I haven't changed the light cycle at all

Yes, once the plant starts reaching maturity (evident when it starts having alternate nodes), it will begin producing preflowers, which usually begin to show up around four-six weeks of growth. This happens in vegetative growth.

Quote:

its on 24 hours a day, I was under the assumption that you cant tell either way until you induce flowering

Nope, wrong assumption. :wink:

Quote:

also - the plant is about 3 feet high

How old is the plant? It sounds like you've got a sativa. :smile: Hopefully height in your grow-room isn't a concern, because when you switch the lights that thing will stretch two to three times its size, quite possibly. :grin: You should definitely look into some training techniques for the plant, maybe taking the top and bending it down might be good once you flip the lights and it begins to stretch, because giving the plant enough light all over will become more difficult with the taller that it gets. At any rate, it definitely sounds like its time to start flowering. :headbang:

Quote:

is it possibly because the roots are running out of room in the pot?

Nope, but you're going to want to transplant to a bigger pot before you flip the lights, if that is the case. What size is it in now?

--------------------

Offlineerb
 User Gallery

Re: can you tell the sex of a plant before flowering? [Re: Sirius]
    #54887 - 06/10/08 05:44 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

how old is the plant?

Offlinemikeytro
Male

#54952 - 06/10/08 07:09 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

thanks for all the good info man :sun:

the plant is roughly 2 months old
keep in mine this is a first attempt... very make shift and somewhat half ass of an attempt

the lights I'm using consist of a 2 foot fluorescent and an ikea desk lamp with a really tiny bulb thats very bright
which is probably not adequate but I plan on buying proper supplies for a grow later this year

just wondering you are supposed to switch lights during flowering? I thought just more dark time...isn't a decent hps set up sufficient for the whole grow?

why would I need to switch pots before flowering?
at the moment it is in a probably one foot diameter and 1.5 foot depth size pot

and also I would take pictures but the plant is at my apartment and I'm home for the summer at my parents house so my sister who I live with is just occasionally watering it and the lights are kept on 24/7 in my closet

so since I'm not there I cant really change the light cycle...its gunna have to wait until july or some time around then

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #55310 - 06/11/08 04:29 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mikeytro said:
just wondering you are supposed to switch lights during flowering? I thought just more dark time...isn't a decent hps set up sufficient for the whole grow?

Yes, a decent HPS setup will work well for the whole grow, but some people will use fluorescent/CFL's/metal halide for vegetative state because it has a better light spectrum for vegetative growth, and then switch to HPS for flowering to get a better spectrum for that, which is probably what you are asking about switching lights for flowering. That would be preferable, but to actually induce flowering you need to take your lights to twelve hours on/twelve hours off, or at least twelve hours off a day. :wink:

Quote:

why would I need to switch pots before flowering?
at the moment it is in a probably one foot diameter and 1.5 foot depth size pot

Well, you were talking about the possibility of the roots having out-grown the pot, and there will be a lot more growth when you switch to flowering before it calms down and starts concentrating on bud production, and you want to make sure you've got some new room for the roots to grow for that. Of course, if they still have plenty of room in that pot, it won't be necessary. That sounds like a big pot so I would guess its not necessary, but the only real way to know is to take a peek. :grin:

Quote:

so since I'm not there I cant really change the light cycle...its gunna have to wait until july or some time around then

Have her get a cheap light timer and plug the lights into that, then the switch will be automatic. With a three foot tall plant, you might want to switch it to flowering sooner than later. Also, I'd consider having her get some CFL bulbs and finding a way of positioning them around the plant, you could use some more light for that I think. They are cheap and don't produce much heat. Get the "soft white" ones, with the color temperature of 2700k, which is better for flowering. Get ones at or above 26watts, most bulbs should list lumens produced and you're going to want ones that are at least around 2000 lumens a bulb.

It shouldn't be hard for her to get the light timer and the CFL's setup. They have those little light fixtures to put the bulb in that just plug into a powerstrip, which would be the easiest way to set them up. It'll definitely make all the difference in the world for your plant to have her set that stuff up. :thumbup:

By the way, what kind of soil are you growing with? Any nutrients?

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #55482 - 06/11/08 10:41 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Have her get a cheap light timer and plug the lights into that, then the switch will be automatic.

be careful with those words, cheap timers are a bad idea :wink:  That piece of your equipment is an important part of your grow.  If it fails and your light cycle gets fucked, your whole grow will suffer.  It's always best to invest the 20 or so bucks in a digital timer that have a backup battery in them.  This way if the power goes out it keeps the time perfectly and will operate as normal.

My first grow i used a cheapo analog timer that malfunctioned 3 weeks into flowering.  Came home a few times to see the lights on/off when they shouldn't have been.  However, it was a great way to seed my whole grow :laugh: :wink:  I think i still have some too.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: can you tell the sex of a plant before flowering? [Re: coda]
    #55485 - 06/11/08 10:45 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
be careful with those words, cheap timers are a bad idea :wink:  That piece of your equipment is an important part of your grow.  If it fails and your light cycle gets fucked, your whole grow will suffer.  It's always best to invest the 20 or so bucks in a digital timer that have a backup battery in them.  This way if the power goes out it keeps the time perfectly and will operate as normal.

Sage advice. :thumbup: $20 was my idea of cheap though. :lol:

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #55505 - 06/11/08 11:42 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

In addition to the above info for future reference, the cultivation guide on this site offers a technique for pre-forcing a single branch of your plant(s) so that you can sex it/them early.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Offlinemikeytro
Male

#55863 - 06/11/08 07:30 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

hey thanks for the comments again, really appreciate it

with insufficient light when flowering does the quality of the bud suffer or the size....or both?

I will try and buy a timer and cfl lights when I get my next paycheck

at the moment it is in mgmc soil with some random root nutrient solution diluted in water
its probably not whats best but its all I got...its got the basic npk

--------------------

Offlineerb
 User Gallery

#55872 - 06/11/08 07:35 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mikeytro said:

with insufficient light when flowering does the quality of the bud suffer or the size....or both?

Both.. weak light means weak buds.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #56141 - 06/11/08 11:44 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mikeytro said:

Probably both, but the density/yield of the buds will probably suffer more than the quality of the buds you do get.

Quote:

I will try and buy a timer and cfl lights when I get my next paycheck

The lamp you mentioned with the bright bulb probably should be replaced or just taken out of there if it isn't CFL or fluorescent, because its probably just creating heat.

Quote:

at the moment it is in mgmc soil with some random root nutrient solution diluted in water
its probably not whats best but its all I got...its got the basic npk

I'm sure it'll work! :smile:

--------------------

Offlinestroph
    #75775 - 07/08/08 08:38 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Forgive me if I read the post wrong. The potency of the bud has nothing to do with the lighting. Potency is strain related. If you gave me a NYCD seed and gave the same seed to a professional grower, the THC content would be the same. The professional grower will have bigger, thicker, and prettier buds, but the high would be exactly the same. Not an exact quote, but it's something I read in one of my "Cannabis Grow Bible"s. Potency is in the genetics. ~Stroph

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: can you tell the sex of a plant before flowering? [Re: stroph]
    #75800 - 07/08/08 10:51 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

that's mostly incorrect.  Sure, genetics play a part in potency, but if you neglect your plant you're not going to grow something of quality.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: can you tell the sex of a plant before flowering? [Re: stroph]
    #75803 - 07/08/08 11:01 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

stroph said:
The potency of the bud has nothing to do with the lighting. Potency is strain related. If you gave me a NYCD seed and gave the same seed to a professional grower, the THC content would be the same. The professional grower will have bigger, thicker, and prettier buds, but the high would be exactly the same.

Genetics might provide a limiting factor in the degree to which plants can be potent, but you can't just grow the same strain in a variety of conditions and expect that the same strain will be exactly as potent in every single one. This simply doesn't make any sense. Genetics sets the potential for potency, but it doesn't set the actual potency that results. Environment and environment alone determines how genetics end up being expressed. If what you have stated was actually in a book somewhere, it was wrong. It'd be great, of course, for you to provide the source on that. :wink:

--------------------

Offlinestroph
    #78948 - 07/10/08 11:22 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I stand corrected. I read PART of that wrong. There is a certain threshold for potency. No matter how it is grown, it will never surpass the genetic threshold. This info can be found in "The Cannabis Grow Bible" by Greg Green copyright 2003. It starts on page 254...a section about potency myths. ~Stroph

OfflineDannyFolks
OG
Male User Gallery
    #802707 - 01/05/16 12:59 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Have u ever heard of sexing seeds
I kno it sounds crazy but its s tek for identifying male seeds its kinda simple too. So far i haven't had any males yet...ill try to post the Link once i find it

--------------------

!!!!!Warning!!!!
  !!!!TRESPASSERS WILL BE EXECUTED!!!

OfflineDannyFolks
OG
Male User Gallery
    #802708 - 01/05/16 01:02 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
Quote:

stroph said:
The potency of the bud has nothing to do with the lighting. Potency is strain related. If you gave me a NYCD seed and gave the same seed to a professional grower, the THC content would be the same. The professional grower will have bigger, thicker, and prettier buds, but the high would be exactly the same.

Genetics might provide a limiting factor in the degree to which plants can be potent, but you can't just grow the same strain in a variety of conditions and expect that the same strain will be exactly as potent in every single one. This simply doesn't make any sense. Genetics sets the potential for potency, but it doesn't set the actual potency that results. Environment and environment alone determines how genetics end up being expressed. If what you have stated was actually in a book somewhere, it was wrong. It'd be great, of course, for you to provide the source on that. :wink:

Well said... I second that motion

--------------------

!!!!!Warning!!!!

OfflineDannyFolks
OG
Male User Gallery
Re: can you tell the sex of a plant before flowering? [Re: DannyFolks]
    #802709 - 01/05/16 01:05 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I once grew some seeds i got from some mexican brick weed and the bud came out way better than its source... It didnt smell the same look the same and my version was waaayyy more potent

--------------------

!!!!!Warning!!!!

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: can you tell the sex of a plant before flowering? [Re: DannyFolks]
    #802752 - 01/06/16 09:49 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

The more I use the technique of looking for early trichome production on the leaves and stems through a strong magifying glass, the more I think it actually works. It's not as simple as seeing trichs = female, but there seem to be certain patterns and leaf textures that give away if the plant is female or male.

I had also seen claims that female seeds have a small crater or indent on 1 side, but I got males from seeds with the indent/crater so it seems to be untrue

OfflineDannyFolks
OG
Male User Gallery
Re: can you tell the sex of a plant before flowering? [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #802828 - 01/07/16 02:54 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

This is from my experience and limited knowlege, it always worked for me but you gotta kno what to look for. I wouldnt say its untrue, but i cant lie and say its guaranteed either. None the less i never seen a male yet....but maybe im lucky...that's a possibility too.

"Inside the crater or indent is perfect circle, but the male seeds have an imperfect circle, if the crater or indent on the seed have any imperfections its a male"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies