Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecalyx509
Stranger
Someone please help! computer fan question...
    #521530 - 01/31/11 09:09 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i have 3 computer fans i'm about to install for my stealth grow...one pulling air in, 2 pushing out. my question is....is there a way i can connect these all to one power supply? and its sort of a stupid question, but how to i power these fans with these 2 red and black wires? do they connect to a battery or to a cord? thanks for any help...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Someone please help! computer fan question... [Re: calyx509]
    #521533 - 01/31/11 09:33 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

You'll need to find the voltage of your fans, and then find an AC adapter that is the same voltage (or lower, never higher). Many people have old cellphone chargers they like to use.

You'll need to strip the wires on the ac adapter as well as your fan. Splice them together (aka, twist the wires together). MAKE SURE THE RED SIDE WIRES DON'T TOUCH THE BLACK SIDE WIRES. If it doesn't start, switch the wires.

Once its working, tape each individual side together, then tape both together once all the wires are covered. Use electrical tape.

Fuck, this is pretty confusing to read, isn't it? I should make a video.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: Someone please help! computer fan question... [Re: RasJeph]
    #521536 - 01/31/11 09:53 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Computer fan run on 12v, And yes you should be able to use any random AC to DC 12v converter from a cellphone charger or whatever electronic device you no longer need. Make sure its at least 1 or two amps depending on what kind of fans you want

Alternatively if the fans run loud at full speed since this is going to be a "stealth" grow, you could find a charger from something that takes say 7 or 8 volts

Ill draw you up a little diagram in paint in a minute showing you how to wire it up, its very simple

Just out of curiosity though can you post the brand and or model numbers of the fans you are going to be using

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Re: Someone please help! computer fan question... [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #521542 - 01/31/11 10:18 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

This should help, hope you enjoy my mad paint skillz

--------------------
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
    #521857 - 02/01/11 01:47 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

lol

For sure the most important step. :thumbup:

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Someone please help! computer fan question... [Re: muse42]
    #521913 - 02/01/11 08:43 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe this only applies to other devices, but I thought that the milliamps were what was important when finding an electrical supply.  1-2 amps of power is a fuck ton, but if you're running 3 fans off of one supply it might be necessary. 

What you need to do is find out the voltage the fans run at (should be 12) and then how many millamps and watts the fan draws.  If all the fans are the same just multiply the mA by the number of fans you want to run on one supply to get the total number of mA/Amps you need to power the fans.

Power: 4.8W
Voltage: 12V DC
Current: 0.4A

So, if your fans have the above specs you would need

1 Power supply that is rated for 12V DC, 1.2 Amps, and 14.4 watts to run three fans (.4 * 3 = 1.2, 4.8 * 3 = 14.4). 

Hopefully this helps a little, I'm no master electrician but it's not hard to wire up some CPU Fans

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinecalyx509
Stranger
Re: Someone please help! computer fan question... [Re: coda]
    #521948 - 02/01/11 10:47 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i was thinking about getting either 2 or 3 of these...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835999002&cm_re=computer_fan-_-35-999-002-_-Product

i would like somebody's input...i'm doing a stealth grow in a dresser. a very small dresser too...i  have 2' height, 2' width, and 18" depth.  the strain i'm growing is blue himalaya diesel. should i get just one 125 watt light, or several 26 watts of different spectrums. what will be best for being the coolest. temperature is my major concern givin the small and enclosed space.

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Re: Someone please help! computer fan question... [Re: calyx509]
    #525132 - 02/08/11 11:39 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Nah dont order those shitty fans, I had that exact HDD cooler and it sucks, and those fans are the opposite of stealth, very loud and they die quick

Buy one or two of these, they are quiet at full speed (12v) and still move a good amount of air

http://www.petrastechshop.com/12yalod1cafa.html

they dont pull much pressure though, so dont plan on running these to move the air through a carbon filter, for any fan to have a good amount of pressure its going to be loud, and most likely not going to be a DC fan, most powerful fans run on 110 AC

--------------------

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Loc: its cold
    #525625 - 02/10/11 04:13 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Now remember those fans are probably rated for DC so a 12 v AC cell phone charger wont work.  Atleast this has been my experience.

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: Someone please help! computer fan question... [Re: sveumy]
    #525628 - 02/10/11 04:47 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

coolerguys.com carry power supplies that will handle all three fans, that run like 12 dollars

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck