Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineerickarl65
Stranger

Noob First Grow (Kind Of) (PICS!) Need Help with Harvest/Trichomes
    #510744 - 01/03/11 02:11 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I have been a member of shroomery for a little while now and of course I have to check out the growery also.  Obviously, I'm trying to grow some sweet buds as well, which brings up my question(s).  I received 2 plants grown from seeds from a buddy of mine before he moved away.  One is supposably "cotton candy" strain and the other is really good bag seed. 
First question:  The bag seed plant (he calls NRG, so we can go with that) has multiple buds growing currently.  It's looking good, but I thought there should be trichomes, a dank smell to it by now.  It doesn't even smell like bud yet.  Here are a few pics:

And then here are a few from the cotton candy plant. It's just one big cola because he chopped at it before he gave it to me.  My question here is how do I know when it's "close" to harvest.  Meaning: when to stop the nutes (giving it a rose bloom fert, like 10-28-14 or something) and just go with straight distilled water.  When do I know to do this since I don't know how old she is?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Noob First Grow (Kind Of) (PICS!) Need Help with Harvest/Trichomes [Re: erickarl65]
    #510749 - 01/03/11 02:18 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The top one is way to young to be smelling that strong yet. Both are actually they both have a long way to go yet.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineerickarl65
Stranger

Re: Noob First Grow (Kind Of) (PICS!) Need Help with Harvest/Trichomes [Re: Magash]
    #510751 - 01/03/11 02:27 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Sweet. That's really good news.  I'm guessing it's not possible, but what would your guesstimate be on both as far as time? Running a 250hps on them in soil with a space heater and air purifier at about 35%-40% relative humidity and 82ish during it's day for temp and 72 to 75 at night.  You think the big cola about another month and the other 2 months?  The cotton candy big cola one has a few hairs turning amber in different places (mainly on the bottom and in the middle).

Also, do I need to trim any leaves to get more light to the bud?

Thanks for the help!

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Noob First Grow (Kind Of) (PICS!) Need Help with Harvest/Trichomes [Re: erickarl65]
    #510758 - 01/03/11 03:21 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

No leaves need to be trimed right now. From the pics I'd say 5 to 7 weeks to go. :happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineorison319
got squirrel

Re: Noob First Grow (Kind Of) (PICS!) Need Help with Harvest/Trichomes [Re: Magash]
    #510769 - 01/03/11 04:16 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

250 hps is kinda low, I mean its ok for a hobby grow, but you are going to need to let them finish to the end(5/6 weeks I agree/ :smile: just not enough "umpf" in the lamp .. I can not flower plants with anything under 400W, its just a waste of energy and time...

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Noob First Grow (Kind Of) (PICS!) Need Help with Harvest/Trichomes [Re: orison319]
    #510849 - 01/03/11 07:54 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I'm kinda drunk, so I'm hoping this post doesn't come off as offensive as it sounds in my head. I don't mean anything rude by this, and I'm sorry if it sounds that way.

You're crazy dude. 150w can even be OK for 1 plant. If you know what you're doing, and thats what you have to work with, you can make it work. Suggesting more watts isn't really going to help him bro, and telling someone to upgrade over 250w for 2 plants is dumb anyway. I put 2 under 1 150w HPS and I get *very* good results. No, I don't get a half pound per plant, but I certainly get enough bud to hold me over until the next grow. His lights are sufficient for what hes doing. And, learning is half the battle IMO.

That said, your plants DO look like they are ridiculously stretched for some reason. Any idea whats up with that? Maybe just real sativa or? And IDK why they are switching back to 3 leafs per node...maybe someone with more experience will chime in here.

:drunk:

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Offlineerickarl65
Stranger

Re: Noob First Grow (Kind Of) (PICS!) Need Help with Harvest/Trichomes [Re: RasJeph]
    #510870 - 01/03/11 09:16 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Due to my inexperience, I think they have been confused multiple times.  When I first got them a month or so ago, I transplanted them and changed their light cycle to 7am to 7pm instead of what he had going which was the opposite.  In doing so, I let them get light for 24 hr. So, not only were they stressed from transplant, but fucking confused I imagine on what time of fkn year it was.  They are both finally starting to look really healthy.  It took a good 10 to 14 days for them to recover and start eating and drinking and growing new hairs and buds.  Man, you need a lot more patience for this grow vs shrooms.  But the smell and look of that large cola makes me wanna jizz all over the place when I look at it up close. This is addicting.

Offlineerickarl65
Stranger

#510873 - 01/03/11 09:23 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Oh and 400hps was what I was planning on.  Came within seconds of hittin the buy it now button on ebay for the ballast, but a buddy had this 250 with ballast and hood that he gave me for 50 bucks.  Really couldn't beat that for my setup.  I wouldve had to pay 100 to 150 just for the ballast, I think (even though it wouldve been a badass one), and then a hood and then the bulb.  Got this all for 50.  But I'm planning on expanding.  Have 5 Widow seeds comin now from Nirvana.  That's my biggest thing now, is trying to find good seeds without payin out the assholio. Have 5 widow comin and blackberry (was drunk and thought I was ordering blueberry).  Interested like any noob in barneys tangering dream (typical noob, go straight for award winning and think your a badass), but really blueberry is my shit.  It's just so fkn expensive everywhere.  Anyway, any advice on how to's and what not to do from here on out will help tremendously.  I literally just picked this up after finally having a few successful shroom grows.
Thanks for the help and peace

OfflineShroomofdoom
Menace 2 Society
Male

Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #510875 - 01/03/11 09:31 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Hey man, Welcome to Growery! I used to grow Mushrooms too but I changed over to bud. Glad they are doin better, Keep us posted with more pics and shit. How far is your light from the plants? Stretchin could be cause your lights too far away from your plants. And another thing, what kinda soil ya use? Good luck man, its all about trial and error.

OfflineShroomofdoom
Menace 2 Society
Male

Re: Noob First Grow (Kind Of) (PICS!) Need Help with Harvest/Trichomes [Re: Shroomofdoom]
    #510876 - 01/03/11 09:34 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I've ordered Blue Mystic from Nirvana and man they are looking Gorgeous. I would post pictures but I just don't trust the internet. people are always watchin.. lol I sound paranoid.

Offlineorison319
got squirrel

Re: Noob First Grow (Kind Of) (PICS!) Need Help with Harvest/Trichomes [Re: RasJeph]
    #510901 - 01/04/11 03:48 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RasJeph said:
I'm kinda drunk, so I'm hoping this post doesn't come off as offensive as it sounds in my head. I don't mean anything rude by this, and I'm sorry if it sounds that way.

You're crazy dude. 150w can even be OK for 1 plant. If you know what you're doing, and thats what you have to work with, you can make it work. Suggesting more watts isn't really going to help him bro, and telling someone to upgrade over 250w for 2 plants is dumb anyway. I put 2 under 1 150w HPS and I get *very* good results. No, I don't get a half pound per plant, but I certainly get enough bud to hold me over until the next grow. His lights are sufficient for what hes doing. And, learning is half the battle IMO.

That said, your plants DO look like they are ridiculously stretched for some reason. Any idea whats up with that? Maybe just real sativa or? And IDK why they are switching back to 3 leafs per node...maybe someone with more experience will chime in here.

:drunk:

yeah you need be drunk to recommend some low ass lighting
/.. childern shouldnt have the keys to the liquor cabinet \
thats right nigga Im Crazy and grow mad ass weed with 4fricking Kw of light.. if you think youre going to smoking cannabis everyday all day with a 100watt bulb??, buddy keep on drinking alceehall..  seems to be working out for you.. :crazy2:

I dont mean to come off offensive ,, This is a Growery site forum .. put down the bottle and buy a real lamp..,  you can get 400watts MH, off of billboards for free, just buy a replacement bulb , Be a soldier and grow some damn bud for christ sake.. You better check yourself to buddy, when it comes to Cannabis Im not fucking around here.

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Noob First Grow (Kind Of) (PICS!) Need Help with Harvest/Trichomes [Re: orison319]
    #510908 - 01/04/11 07:41 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

:ilold:

Sounds like that post really grew your e-peen. Whatevers clever man.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Offlinemad capper
old head
Male

Re: Noob First Grow (Kind Of) (PICS!) Need Help with Harvest/Trichomes [Re: orison319] * 1
    #510911 - 01/04/11 08:10 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

anything past 50 watts per sq ft is just wasting energy and creating excess heat . a 250 watt bulb will do 5 sq ft and thats plenty for two small plants.

--------------------
*constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil ~ jerry garcia*

Mad Capper's Moonshine Tek under construction lol

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Noob First Grow (Kind Of) (PICS!) Need Help with Harvest/Trichomes [Re: mad capper]
    #510926 - 01/04/11 11:49 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

mad capper said:
anything past 50 watts per sq ft is just wasting energy and creating excess heat . a 250 watt bulb will do 5 sq ft and thats plenty for two small plants.

I disagree with this.
Yes 50 per square foot is a good place to start, but more light is always better than less.
I myself run 105 watt per square foot right now, and don't have any heat issues, still hitting .5 to 1 gram per watt.
Which is why I disagree with your statement, more light should equal more bud.:yesnod:

--------------------
:getstoned:

Offlineerickarl65
Stranger

Re: Noob First Grow (Kind Of) (PICS!) Need Help with Harvest/Trichomes [Re: Stoneth]
    #510944 - 01/04/11 03:00 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Well, I just harvested a couple onions of huge shrooms, so I will sell a bit and buy a 600hps. Planned on it anyway, because of the new seeds on the way.  I plan on about 4 or 5 plants.

Offlineerickarl65
Stranger

#511183 - 01/05/11 05:40 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

But, for the debate, I am only working with 4 or 5 sq ft, so the 250hps, I believe is sufficient for now, but as I said, I want more.....

Offlinemad capper
old head
Male

Re: Noob First Grow (Kind Of) (PICS!) Need Help with Harvest/Trichomes [Re: Stoneth]
    #511324 - 01/05/11 10:41 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

anything after 50 watts per sq ft you reach the point of diminishing returns, thats one of the basics of growing. Its not a starting point, its the max. mel frank the marijuana growers guide!! also excess heat is always a concern if it takes you outside of optimal range. more light more bud is true ,but only up to 50 watts per sq ft.

--------------------
*constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil ~ jerry garcia*

Mad Capper's Moonshine Tek under construction lol

OfflineShroomofdoom
Menace 2 Society
Male

#512092 - 01/08/11 09:00 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah man, as long as you can keep the area from getting too hot and have air exchange you can fit a 600watt in there no problem. I have a 400 watt in a maybe 3 square foot grow space.

Offlineerickarl65
Stranger

Re: Noob First Grow (Kind Of) (PICS!) Need Help with Harvest/Trichomes [Re: Shroomofdoom]
    #512283 - 01/09/11 02:08 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Right now with the 250hps (and I have 2 75 watt cfl's in the corners for just a bit of added light) it gets plenty hot in the closet.  Along with the lights, I have a space heater and an air purifier blowin 24/7 to get the correct temps and air circulation. 

Anyway, my main question right now is how do I know when I'm 2 weeks away from harvest?  I've read so much about harvesting and curing at the correct time or all efforts are fucked.  I'm talking about the second plant.  The one with just the large cola.  The large catch leaves have turned a lot of yellow spots on them and there are a few more amber hairs popping up even near the top.  It's tough for me to figure out if I'm 2weeks away to flush it.  That's what I'm needing to know.  I just need to know whether to continue delivering nutes to it or flush it.  Here are some pics to assist.  Sorry for the yellowish tint, i just took it while under the hps.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals